New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by rraming
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Oct 2014
108 Posts
Originally Posted by olythom View Post
I can't believe I never saw this thread before today....

What a cool plane. Yes, she can be cranky if you're maneuvering while dirty and slow. Yes, she likes a lot of rudder (high aspect wing and all). But... Boy she is a beauty!

I've been flying mine for several years now. She's never been on wheels. She went straight to floats. She is pretty much stock - Eflite Power 32 / Eflite ESC / APC 12x6 (15 minutes of flying with gentle throttle control) / 4s ~4000mah

I added dual water rudders and they are cable-driven off the bottom of the rudder post as in the full-scale plane (they work GREAT)!

The added stabilizers on the horizontal stab seem to help (and they look good).

The canoe and the moose rack stay on her floats all the time (and yes, they create some flying challenges- very draggy). You should have seen the little tiny rifle that I had to use to take that moose!

I hope the pictures post OK. They were all taken by a good friend, Royce Tivel, who attends and documents almost all of our float flys. His website is called SelectDigitals.
Just Havin Fun - Thom
Really a nice looking plane! Why do you use a 12x6 prop with the power 32 and 4 cell?
I know you can use a 12x8 and use a 3 cell, 13x6.5 for 4 cell but why the 12x6 - more flight time?
rraming is online now Find More Posts by rraming
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 01:52 PM
Find More Posts by olythom
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Oct 2009
418 Posts
For the cowl screws... The magnetic driver is a great tip. Ball driver tips make it easier as well.

Another trick is to use screws that are about 1.5" long. You can put all 4 of the long screws into the cowl, hold the cowl so those screws are dangling down, point the nose of the plane straight up, and as you position the cowl, you can see the ends of the screws while you start them into the threaded inserts in the fuselage. This way, gravity helps instead of hinders the operation.
olythom is online now Find More Posts by olythom