Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:55 PM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Gentlemen,

The T-28 was intended to be flown with the battery in the little cradle designed for it. It easily accepts 2200s without any modifications as that's what I fly with. If you have to cut the canopy, your model is not trimmed properly.

But, as I've already been attacked on this thread earlier for trying to offer sage advice, no problem if you want to fly your model that way....it's your model.

Model aircraft (heck, all aircraft, for that matter) should be just a tad nose-heavy at balance. Note I said a tad or smidge if you will. But, again, it's your plane and you can fly it anyway you want to. Just understand that it'll fly alot differently than it was designed and you'll never see the maximum performance out of the model due to it's now unstable flight characteristics .

Just my .02 and only trying to help.
Thanks for the advice.

It's a fairly broad recommendation considering the model ships with a 1800mAh pack that weighs 142g and my ave. 2200 comes in at 195g, with my 65C's weighing as much as 205g, or 60g more than the included pack.

I guess the question here is where is the "balance" point you refer to? Is it the stated 2 1/2" from leading edge referred to in manual?
marksp is online now Find More Posts by marksp
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:35 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,060 Posts
Simply using the battery compartment as designed. Battery slid all the way forward in the neat little recess and then the canopy fastened down with battery retainer intact....mine flys pretty much hands off at 50% throttle. Again, I'm flying on 2200s exclusively. 10 minutes of flight time using mixed throttle is the norm.

Parkzone planes are designed for flight right out of the box. I've found they'll do just that with little tampering.

Why spoil a good thing? I always recommend to fly your plane first with factory set-up, and go from there. With PZ models, there's really not much more to it than that .
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:15 AM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksp View Post
Thanks for the advice.

It's a fairly broad recommendation considering the model ships with a 1800mAh pack that weighs 142g and my ave. 2200 comes in at 195g, with my 65C's weighing as much as 205g, or 60g more than the included pack.

I guess the question here is where is the "balance" point you refer to? Is it the stated 2 1/2" from leading edge referred to in manual?
take a look here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=25303
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:55 AM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
Thanks. My 65C packs are 15g heavier than the heaviest of these.

For the record, I have no doubt that the plane balances perfectly @ 2 1/2" aft of leading edge with 1800's or that it flies fine with relatively light 2200's in stock location. However, to get plane to balance with heavier (>200g) packs at 2 1/2", the battery has to mount rearward of 1800mAh location, or additional weight must be added.
marksp is online now Find More Posts by marksp
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:17 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,060 Posts
Frankly, I've never even weighed the batteries I'm using...

These are the batteries I've been using for the past few months...dozens of flight hours on 'em. I've got five of them and I usually fly through all of them on a typical day at the field I just tried one out for size, balanced the bird upside down, and went flying...

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/MAX22003S.html

I just stick 'em where they're supposed to go and fly !
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:44 AM
Dirtnap Certified
Joined Aug 2012
195 Posts
Mark is right. Heavier 2200mahs end up around 15mm rearward of the stock position to balance the plane correctly. Sure it will fly with it further forward but that doesn't make it right.
Flyindude is offline Find More Posts by Flyindude
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:39 AM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,481 Posts
my plane flew noticablt tail down with the 2500 not pushed further forward. weird?
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:06 AM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
2,041 Posts
Weird indeed
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,060 Posts
Okay, so try lighter 2200s....

Then it'll be right

BLUF, PZ designed their planes a certain way; when equipped with batteries that'll fit the compartment AS DESIGNED, their planes are the best flying models out there, bar none (that's why this thread is approaching 2,000 pages...).

If you have to alter the model to the point of cutting away significant amounts of foam to fit certain batteries, etc, then you are going to have balancing issues, flight issues, etc. Which, BTW, isn't right.

Again, just my opinion. This plane is designed with beginners in mind, so therefore my comments are meant for those folks just starting out and I'm trying to steer them in the right direction. If you want to tweak your plane, go ahead. Tweak it to your heart's content. It's your money, it's your plane. All I'm saying is, if you have to tweak it, then it probably isn't right....just a casual observation.

Regardless, have fun flying your T-28, tweaked or not !
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Nov 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:29 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,541 Posts
Quote:

Then it'll be right

BLUF, PZ designed their planes a certain way; when equipped with batteries that'll fit the compartment AS DESIGNED, their planes are the best flying models out there, bar none (that's why this thread is approaching 2,000 pages...).

If you have to alter the model to the point of cutting away significant amounts of foam to fit certain batteries, etc, then you are going to have balancing issues, flight issues, etc. Which, BTW, isn't right.

Again, just my opinion. This plane is designed with beginners in mind, so therefore my comments are meant for those folks just starting out and I'm trying to steer them in the right direction. If you want to tweak your plane, go ahead. Tweak it to your heart's content. It's your money, it's your plane. All I'm saying is, if you have to tweak it, then it probably isn't right....just a casual observation.

+1

im not a beginner I do fly 3D and I have more than 15 planes and I still love my stock Trojan my only tweak was maximum throw on servos and 3 blade corsair prop or 10x10e apc prop, I do enjoy my Trojan like that is the best plane ever !
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:38 AM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,464 Posts
Quote:

Then it'll be right

There are two points here which may be getting mixed up. First, the PZ T-28 balances properly with the stock 1800 mAh lipo. If you stick a heavier battery in the same place, it DOES change the CG.
The second point is, OK, so it changes the CG. What to do about it? Sounds like both you and I opt to do nothing and not worry about it. The plane still flies fine, although you may need to adjust the elevator trim when switching between a light and a heavy battery. The other option is to move the battery back, which requires trimming out a bit of the canopy and making sure there's something to keep the battery in place after that. The plane probably flies a little better with the CG dead on. Is it worth it? That's up to individual preference.

"best flying models out there bar none"? That's quite a claim. I like mine, but it's not the best flying plane I have.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,041 Posts
here we go again
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,041 Posts
to be honest. i fly with 1800mah... then 2200 turnigy.. then zippy compact.... (less weight than turnigy 2200mah but more than 1800.. guess what? my plane came from JUPITER and it has a soul and lives.... it does correct the CG automatically cause every time i fly with any of those lipos... everything seems to work as fine as it should without noticing any flying characteristics differences..