HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2005, 07:08 AM
Joined Apr 2005
4 Posts
Buying an engine from US to UK

Hi,

I wanted to know if anyone has bought an engine from Tower Hobbies and had it imported to the UK?

I bought an OS 50sx for my WOT4 and the total cost was $160. In the UK, these are 150 ($283). How much am I likely to get stung for when it gets stopped at customs? Are there any penalties?

Thanks,
Shai.
shyboy is offline Find More Posts by shyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2005, 10:34 AM
Joined Dec 2004
2 Posts
I've just spent $325 in US. Had to pay 48 in UK, of which 8 was duty, 32 was VAT and 8 was clearance fee. You pay on the doorstep to the Parcel Force guy delivering it (no pay, no goodies...)
rgrds
Chris
bambuko is offline Find More Posts by bambuko
Old May 25, 2005, 05:32 AM
Joined Apr 2005
4 Posts
Just an update for anyone who is interested. I today received my Engine, and the delivery man just walked off. Did not even need a signature. It was clearly marked with R/C ENGINE and value of $159 so I have no idea why they did not pick up on it.

Anyways, im happy as I just saved 65!!!! from (rip off) UK prices.

p.s went for the cheapest deliver option which was Surface mail. It was supposed to take 2-6 weeks but took just 12 days.
bambuko, out of interest, what did you buy, where from and what deliver option did you select?
shyboy is offline Find More Posts by shyboy
Last edited by shyboy; May 25, 2005 at 05:53 AM.
Old May 31, 2005, 06:11 PM
Joined Dec 2004
2 Posts
I have used Global Express but that doesn't explain anything ... next order (admitedly for smaller amount) got through with no custom charges.
The only difference between the two was that the first one was insured and the second wasn't.
rgrds Chris
bambuko is offline Find More Posts by bambuko