SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:00 AM
Joined Jun 2014
8 Posts
Help!
Odd fault

Hi Folks Just a request has I am shore that this is something that I am doing wrong with the setup of my new quad. Although I am very new to quads, in the dim and distant past when gyros were mechanical and the first of my copters did not even have one of those has they were to expensive I did get to be a relatively competent pilot of the first of the single rotor helicopters but it has been a lot of years since then and I am just starting again now with quads. I am currently trying to hover a quad that has a KK2.1.5 with standard firmware I believe this is 1.6? The ESCs is/are the Qbrain from HK I have tried to keep things as standard at the moment so that I can get started without too many adjustments at once. I am trying to hover with the KK” set to auto level and I have set the Pi gains so that there are no oscillations but it stays fairly level. The problem, when hovering at shoulder height is two or three times during the flight it seems that the power to all four motor seems to cut for a fraction of a second causing approx one to two foot drop or sometimes the motors seem to switch to full and gain a foot or two. The quad stays level but my heart goes into overload. If I switch on auto height dampening this seems to try and correct the fall but it is still happening. The motors can be heard to slow or increase speed when this happens. I have checked all connections and replaced all power connectors. I have tried a different TX, and mine is setup for standard no frills flight. I have balanced the props and motors. Any ideas or recommendations has I have been trying to sort this for a few weeks and I am starting to run out of ideas.
Thanks Brian99
Brian99 is offline Find More Posts by Brian99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:37 PM
United States, MN, Isanti
Joined Aug 2013
976 Posts
Is your flight controller mounted well? Do you have any bent motor shafts? Vibration can cause all sorts of frustrating problems.
Tbock is online now Find More Posts by Tbock
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:15 PM
Joined Jun 2014
8 Posts
Motors and props are very well balanced and the KK2 and all electronics are mounted on foam and held in place by rubber bands to try and stop any vibrations.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:35 PM
Joined Aug 2013
976 Posts
My next thought would be the 4-in-1 ESC. Do you have any others you could try? Your quad would handle quite a bit better if you used some SimonK flashed ESC's.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2014, 02:44 AM
Joined Jun 2014
8 Posts
Well at the moment the only ESCs that I have is the Qbrian ESC and at the time of purchase I was told that it is fully programmable but I have not been able to find any info about flashing ESCs of this type. My thinking was the KK2, and I was hoping to not have to flash it but it seems that there is no alternative and I have already sent for a programmer for it which should be arriving any day now. I discounted the ESC as the hole Quad drops and I think but am not certain if the ESC was at fault then only one corner would be affected? But I will now rethink about trying to change the ESC. Do you know if this type of ESC can be reflashed with simonk
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:57 AM
Joined Aug 2013
976 Posts
It cannot be flashed with SimonK, but it can be flashed with BLHeli.

If even one esc output is acting up (dropping power or giving more power when it shouldn't), the flight controller will try to stay level and drop or increase power on the other three motors. That's why I suspect the ESC's.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:40 PM
Joined Jun 2014
8 Posts
Thanks for that do you have any info on the flashing of the Qbrain ESCs or any info about where I can find the info or get the info. As you may be able to tell I have not done this before with any ESC so I am on a steep learning curve but once again thanks for your help
Old Jun 17, 2014, 08:42 PM
Joined Aug 2013
976 Posts
Check this thread for info.
RCG Plus Member