SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2013, 10:59 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,014 Posts
Discussion
Demon Aero Cortex Gyro!

Like or or not, Gyros are here to stay. They dominate the Heli field and rightly so IMO. They have even made their way (somewhat notoriously I should say) into the XFC.

I have personally always scoffed at the idea of a gyro in one of my 3D planes. I thought, why would I want a machine to fly the plane for me? But this past week, while hanging at E-Week with all my Extreme Flight buddies, I was given the opportunity to try the new Cortex 3 axis gyro from Bavarian Demon Technologies.

On a whim I said, "Sure! Why Not!" I only got a few flights on my Extreme Flight 48: Edge. The result for me was surprising. I THINK I liked it

I have been flying since I was 12. I am an avid 3D sport flyer. What I mean is, I fly 3D almost exclusively, but I am not all that when it comes to skill. Still, I can do most all the maneuvers and sometimes, on occasion, I look good. I ALWAYS have fun, and that is what this Hobby is about for me.

So when we set up my Edge in about 15 minutes with this new gyro and I started flying, I was amazed. I mean, I did not start doing anything I could not do before, but what I was doing looked GOOD! I enjoyed it!

Now that I am back home, I have decided to give this thing a real shake down. Danny over at Demon Aero is sending me the very same unit I tried over the weekend. It can be seen here:http://www.demonaero.com/product_p/bd-cortex.htm

I am going to install it in my Extreme Flight 64" MXS. I am going to consider this "Experiment" as a continuation of the one I had earlier in the year where I installed Vortex Generators on my MXS. That thread can be found here:http://www.demonaero.com/product_p/bd-cortex.htm

So, you guys can debate the validity of using gyros all you want. You can even throw spoiled fruit at me if you must. But I am going to give this thing a try and see how it all turns out!

To be continued
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2013, 11:06 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,686 Posts
To be honest with you, I did not believe in gyros myself. I have been flying since 2006 when I was around 13. I have never been able to afford anything that big at all. Finally at age 20 I have a 3dhs 57 extra.However the wind ect affects it terribly. The way I look at it is if these new gyros can allow you to have a smaller plane like I do and have it fly like a big one then I say why not. Still not sure if i would buy one yet, but I am no longer going to look down on those who do. Good luck, and I look forward to reading your results.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Oct 03, 2013, 03:30 AM
Ku-Meeeeeeeeezzzzzz
central tx
Joined Apr 2009
1,959 Posts
i hated sfg's i just felt they made you a weaker pilot. make no mistake im no jesky or Wamsy55 but i can say i can hold my own. i found with the sfg's it made the plane more manageable in high alpha stuff and it slowed my rollers down to a crawl. while talking to a buddy of mine he put it in perspective for me. he said "you are a good pilot without the sfgs and adding them will only make you a better pilot". now i fly with the sfgs

so i am curious how this gyro thing will work out for you
Elixir220 is offline Find More Posts by Elixir220
Old Oct 03, 2013, 07:57 AM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,468 Posts
I have an Eagle Tree Guardian and it is fun to play with but I would say like having it off more than on. It does help smooth things out a bit but IMHO it is best to learn to fly without one. They can become a crutch.
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Oct 03, 2013, 09:03 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
ive been flying the cortex for about 2 or 3 months now. love it. love everything about it. its a completely different system, in both performance and programming, than anything else out there, especially horizon's AS3X and the eagle tree guardian. the eagle tree is as similar to the cortex as a horizon 3D plane is to an EF or 3DHS plane
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Oct 03, 2013, 09:18 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,982 Posts
What's the price on this and why/how is it different from the Eagle Tree?

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 03, 2013, 09:28 AM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
7,014 Posts
Azarr,
It's about $350 give or take. One of the differences is that the Eagle Tree is plug and play with small planes. But it can only handle 2.5 amps total. So if you are flying a 48" or larger, you will need to use a power bus in order to power the servos. This adds to the cost and complicates things. The Cortex can handle 10 amps, so you can fly up to 50cc without the need of a power bus for the servos.

It also has superior programing. You can actually program it so that the gyro becomes more or less powerful depending on the kind of maneuver you are doing.

For example, gyros can completely squash a nice tumble. One way to handle that is to put the gyro on a switch and turn it on and off as you fly. But with the Cortex, you can program it so that as you slam into a tumble, the gyro automatically disables itself.

How well does this feature wok? I don't know yet. But that is what this thread is about.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 09:37 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
i would say the biggest difference is how you think about the gyro. with the cortex, while i am flying, i leave it on at all times and dont think about it. it doesnt restrict how I fly, but it does make the airframe more stable and have less bad habits.

programming is another huge advantage. it takes me about 10 minutes from taking the cortex out of the box to having it installed, programmed, and ready to go for the first flight. the only adjustment on it is an EPA adjustment on whatever channel you plug it into. some people may see this as less capability, but it is actually a blessing as there isnt anything to mess up and go wrong. its one adjustment, and it works great.

i have not flown with an eagle tree guardian, but the people i have talked to say it helps for 3d, but it really needs to be turned off for precision flying. wheras the cortex, as far as i can tell, helps out with precision more than almost anything. also heard the programming is complex on the guardian and there are lots of variables to tune in. only one with the cortex
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Oct 03, 2013, 09:40 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,982 Posts
Dead: Thanks for the info. I looked at their web site and it really doesn't seem to give a lot of info. The things you pointed out are great. The programming possibilities sound interesting. I've been playing with the HK receiver/gyro combo and the Eagle Tree and as you said, sometimes they seem to fight what your trying to do. Right now I have a mix that turns them off at high throttle, but programming for maneuvers would be great.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 03, 2013, 11:04 AM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
7,014 Posts
Here is a link to the Parent Company:

http://www.bavariandemon.com/en/products/cortex/

Maybe some more info there
Old Oct 03, 2013, 01:54 PM
Melbourne, FL
Joined Dec 2004
1,044 Posts
Cortex setup software is now available.

Download here: http://www.bavariandemon.com/en/products/cortex/
You will need to download and install the new firmware too.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Danny
F1 Rocket is online now Find More Posts by F1 Rocket
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 03, 2013, 08:57 PM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,494 Posts
I have flown bevin's bigfoot and Birk's 72 extra with the cortex and I must say it changed my way of thinking. I had in my head that a gyro would make the plane to easy to fly. After flying these two planes with a gyro I learned that I was totally wrong. The gyro just smoothes the plane out. Like birk said the cortex seems to excel at precision snaps and point rolls stop in a dime.
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Oct 04, 2013, 07:14 PM
Melbourne, FL
Joined Dec 2004
1,044 Posts
Please do not use new firmware just yet

There are a couple of things that need to be worked out.

Danny
F1 Rocket is online now Find More Posts by F1 Rocket
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 04, 2013, 07:37 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Rocket View Post
There are a couple of things that need to be worked out.

Danny
Good to see, but even better to put the old firmware at the link, if you haven't already.
(Or make the link point to a "coming soon!" page or something)

If I had one and was checking for updates... and was checking the firmware download link and not here... That's what I'd end up getting. Just sayin!
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2013, 07:39 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy78 View Post
I have flown bevin's bigfoot and Birk's 72 extra with the cortex and I must say it changed my way of thinking. I had in my head that a gyro would make the plane to easy to fly. After flying these two planes with a gyro I learned that I was totally wrong. The gyro just smoothes the plane out. Like birk said the cortex seems to excel at precision snaps and point rolls stop in a dime.
I must say I completely agree. Precision becomes really fun. How about point rolls to music, or point "pushes" on a knife edge octagon (aka circle). Sooooo much fun. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it on the extra. Yet, it didn't get in the way when I was doing other things such as rollers. Definitely changed my mind too. I think the TN FLI changed a few people's minds on them, as I sure e-week did as well.
CrashesALot is online now Find More Posts by CrashesALot