HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:16 AM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
691 Posts
Question
Dow Blue foam

What is the best glue for Dow Blue foam besides epoxy? I have tried many glues, but even the "foam safe" glues ate into the blue foam. I tried foam safe ca, Fabri tac, Foam tack, Tacky glue, Ultimate RC foam glue, you name it and for some reason they all caused some degree of liquification to this foam? Does anyone have a recomendation? After trying all of these I end up using epoxy.
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:26 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,833 Posts
What is it your are glueing? Or what parts?
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:32 AM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,745 Posts
Gorilla Glue. get the "White kind, dries much faster. Use very little, spread a thin coat on one side, and I suggest thin as in a couple thousandths of an inch on one side. Hold a spray bottle of water a couple of feet over the other side and spray into the air letting water settle on the foam. Hold the two pieces together with masking tape. In about fifteen minutes or so the glues will come oozing out. Carefully wipe this away or wait 45 minutes until its harder and pull it off like a string.

Be careful and don't get it on your fingers! It'll turn black and take several days to go away! Or be safe and wear vinyl gloves.

It sands real nice. 'bout the only other choice is hot melt glue. Some use white glue or Titebond 2, but I haven't had much luck with it.

Blue Skies.....................Tim
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:33 AM
Joined Feb 2012
691 Posts
Just curious for general assembly. I used epoxy on my F35 profile build. But I am looking at doing some scale builds with 1/4" blue foam for fuz skin etc. I would not want to use epoxy for areas that the strength is not such a factor. But like I said I had no luck with the glues I tried. They worked on R tech white foam and dollar tree, but not on the blue?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:45 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,833 Posts
Tell you what, check out Elmers Rubber Cement. It was suggested way back in the 144" T-38 thread. I tried it on a small piece of Owens pink foam, coated both sides, put it together. No go, it needs to set up a bit first. Put it back together , like a rock. In fact, if all goes well this weekend, I will be using it to glue my plug together for my F-86 build. Its cheap, about $2 a bottle for 4oz. Comes with a brush attached to inside cover, and done right, sets up almost at once. Just like contact cement. Just make sure that when you get ready to stick the pieces together, they are where you want them. There is no second chance!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:41 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
Tell you what, check out Elmers Rubber Cement. It was suggested way back in the 144" T-38 thread. I tried it on a small piece of Owens pink foam, coated both sides, put it together. No go, it needs to set up a bit first. Put it back together , like a rock. In fact, if all goes well this weekend, I will be using it to glue my plug together for my F-86 build. Its cheap, about $2 a bottle for 4oz. Comes with a brush attached to inside cover, and done right, sets up almost at once. Just like contact cement. Just make sure that when you get ready to stick the pieces together, they are where you want them. There is no second chance!
Hmmm, gonna get some on the way home....it doesn't eat the foam any?

How long to yo have to wait before putting the peieces together and can you hot wire cut and sand with it afterwards?

Thx in advance for any input
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,833 Posts
Tack time was a couple mins, I suppose. As I said , first time I just put them together, no bond, still could move them around. After they tack-up, be very sure where you want that piece, as there is no second chance.

I took out my hot wire, and made a few cuts, exellent. Do drag, no sticking like when I had used the 3m-78/78. Sands great. I dont know about all foams, will try it on some white stuff I have this weekend.

Here's something you might know know about , at least the Owens pink, as I have used it. Surprisingly, here is a certain amout of water used in the process of making the foam. When I had bought it at HD, I wanted a "perfect sheet" so I dug down, and even though it was inside, lots of moisture betweeen sheets. Had them cut it there, and didn't glue it for a day or two. The pieces I had, where 12"x 66", and had started to bow. Had to use lots of weight to keep them straight/flat. That may apply to blue, also, or maybe just different climate areas.
On the safty side, I would cut and glue asap. Let us know how it worjed for you.

OK heres the link from the T-38 thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=287
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Apr 20, 2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: addition
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Feb 2012
691 Posts
I have only used the Dow blue foam. I have not had the moisture problems that you spoke of. I am in Washington and its always moist! I buy the sheets of 1/2" and I have had no trouble with warping. As far as I can tell the blue and pink are the same except color? I am going to pick up some of the elmers rubber cement and try it. I am working on a plan for a Sukhoi SU26M. Thanks for the tip on the glue, I have tried many,many types without much success.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,833 Posts
A note on the Elmer's, on the pink I have used it on it seems to work very well, I would think it should work on blue as wel, l but won't use it on large areas. I have used it on blocks about 8" square. don't even think about using it on white foam. 3M 77 is the way to go there. Good luck, at least the Elmers is cheap!

It wasn't so much warping, as after I had it cut to 12"x66"x2" pieces, it bowed so, and needed weight to keep it flat.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Feb 2012
691 Posts
I tried some on the Blue foam last night. You where right it tacked up well and stuck. But this morning I was able to pull it apart fairly easily. There must be something about the blue foams makeup. It feels like pink and its great to work with but it is "glue sensitive" I am following your 86 build, I look forward to seeing it come together.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:55 AM
Central Maryland
Joined Apr 2008
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt599 View Post
I tried some on the Blue foam last night. You where right it tacked up well and stuck. But this morning I was able to pull it apart fairly easily. There must be something about the blue foams makeup. It feels like pink and its great to work with but it is "glue sensitive" I am following your 86 build, I look forward to seeing it come together.
Did you peel off the plastic film layer before trying the glue?
VIDEOPRO is online now Find More Posts by VIDEOPRO
Old May 09, 2012, 03:18 PM
Nelson, B.C.
Joined Jun 2008
150 Posts
Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue. Works great!
chumbly is offline Find More Posts by chumbly
Old May 09, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,692 Posts
Hot glue is fast and works. Epoxy, white gorilla glue. I tried fabric tac it works fast but you have to watch out on the amount you use or it will eat through it.
Daniel's vids are awesome Try his method with fabric tac. All his vids are helpful
scratch build MIG-21 (part 2) (5 min 43 sec)
Doushiyou12 is online now Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old May 11, 2012, 03:58 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,935 Posts
UHU Por from Hobby Lobby works great! If you can get it....
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old May 13, 2012, 03:12 PM
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
Check out rcfoam.com- they also have UHU Por
mkcp40 is offline Find More Posts by mkcp40