View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 23, 2012, 02:36 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
901 Posts
Yep got all that. I have built a rig before and heavily modified the rig that came on my pikanto. The new rig will be an A rig and for my Pikanto. Just looking to see if anyone had any cool tips that they were willing to share from their rig building experiance. Gonna use ball raced gooseneck and jib swivel. I guess the thing I am very curious about is mast prebend. Should I put prebend on my new mast section or not? Thoughts? Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 06:08 AM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
217 Posts
Ryan
Page 164 gives a list of builders who have plans for the Sofar (IOM). There are none being built in the US at this time. Here is a link that has some recently updated photo's of Fernando Lopez's (Spain) boat that was launched recently.

JT

www.taylormadeyachts.com

Web Link: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=2d72d...5D%21264&sff=1
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor
Old May 23, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Dec 2007
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Yep got all that. I have built a rig before and heavily modified the rig that came on my pikanto. The new rig will be an A rig and for my Pikanto. Just looking to see if anyone had any cool tips that they were willing to share from their rig building experiance. Gonna use ball raced gooseneck and jib swivel. I guess the thing I am very curious about is mast prebend. Should I put prebend on my new mast section or not? Thoughts? Ryan
My suggestion is that you ask your sailmaker how much, if any, prebend to put in your mast. I have seen some sailmakers call for zero prebend and others call for as much as 40 mm. It all comes down to how they cut their sails and the design of their sails. I wouldn't guess; I would ask the sailmaker directly. And while you're at it, ask the sailmaker where they suggest you put your spreaders and hounds based on your boat design. The more the sailmaker knows about your particular situation, the more helpful they will be.
B North is offline Find More Posts by B North
Old May 23, 2012, 11:55 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
As far as "Cool tips" I'm not sure there are any. The only real choices are shroud and spreader location, shrouds to the top or not and pre-bend or not. As Brig said the sail maker is the best way to answer that question

If you need/want to pre-bend your mast and it is the 7075 T9 section it is not easy. I have a real tubing bender at my disposal. Ask around you local club or the guy you are buying from for ideas if you decide you need pre-bend. As I said in my previous post I like pre-bend and the shrouds low, but that is just my opinion. The 6061 T6 sections are easy to bend, the Radio Sailing instructions that Mike posted show that. That article has a lot of good ideas for building a rig.

Call Jake Leo, he is a good guy and will be happy to help. He makes a lot of rigs for his costumers.
TedFlack is online now Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old May 23, 2012, 04:29 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
522 Posts
I use the same tent pole material. I use a bending jib made of a piece of 3/4inch ply cut to a radius of 670mm. The jig is about 1 meter long and the mast ends up with about 20mm of prebend. It sounds crazy and when you bend the tube and it takes a lot of pressure, but it works. A larger radius and the mast just springs back straight.

Best to do the bending before drilling any holes as they weaken the mast locally and may lead to a broken mast.

If you are scared of the 670mm number, then try this approach. Take the board and scribe an arc of (say) 800mm. Get a box of substantial nails. Drill a series of holes along the curve every 2 inches, put in the nails as pegs, and bend the mast around the pegs. If no effect, draw a new arc at (say) 750 and drill holes and move the nails and try again. This way allows you to creep up on the radius that works.

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Last edited by hiljoball; May 23, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old May 24, 2012, 09:45 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,109 Posts
Yup T9 drill first and bend then it goes snap,how do i know don't ask.But i've got booms now.As Ted said bender works great.Take our advise and bend it first,induce the bend from above the spreaders and upward.The lower section gets controlled by the Ram.
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old May 26, 2012, 02:55 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
Hi Guys, Following completion of Carving IOM development and testing by Luca the site is now up http://www.barcheradiocomandate.it/carving/ in Italian and English.

Complete boats or hulls and full range parts & sails available with good delivery times.

Cheers Alan
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old May 26, 2012, 05:31 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoneWone View Post
Hi Guys, Following completion of Carving IOM development and testing by Luca the site is now up http://www.barcheradiocomandate.it/carving/ in Italian and English.

Complete boats or hulls and full range parts & sails available with good delivery times.

Cheers Alan
I do love it when they get it wrong with the English check the home page "Happy Surfing".

I have delt with these company, great service, still trying the winch.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Last edited by 8387mike; May 27, 2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old May 26, 2012, 05:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8387mike View Post
I do love it when they get wrong with the English check the home page "Happy Surfing".

I have delt with these company, great service, still trying the winch.

And here I was thinking it was Surfing the Website fro some great ideas... Like in the Old Days of Surfing the Net..

Silly Me...
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 26, 2012, 01:00 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,109 Posts
Whats the score on the region 6 regatta out in California,briefly spoke to Tony and the wind is shifting 80 degrees one minit you're looking like a king and the next you look like a queen.but did'nt ask for a score.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined Feb 2010
579 Posts
Saturday results for Region 6, 8 races and two throw-outs

Ian Vickers- 9-V8
John Ebey 21-Pikanto
Mackey 21-Britpop
Tony 23-Cheinz
Gary Boell 27-Britpop
Jeff Weiss 29-Widget
Stephan Cohen-34-Pikanto
Dennis Rogers -34-Britpop
George Pedrick 39-Pikanto
Brig North 41-Pikanto
Old May 27, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Nov 2010
901 Posts
Really weird wind out here for R6 regatta in San Rafael. The racing is very competive with lots of lead changes. John Ebey and Ian vickers seem to be battling it out for top spot. That V8 in Ian's hands is sure fast. The Brit Pops are doing well and the learning curve for sailing that boat seems to be steep. Lots of fun, to bad my rig is so screwed up. The rest of the fleet is sailing fast and most of the guys seem to be having a good time.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Feb 2010
579 Posts
Region 6 top five (this is all I have so far):

Ian Vickers 24 V8
Craig Mackey 53 Britpop
John Ebey 56 Pikanto?
Tony Gonsalves 66.7 Cheinz
Dennis Rogers 75 Britpop
Old May 27, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Nov 2010
901 Posts
Anybody got a picture or diagram of how to set up the self tensioning cunningham setup? Ryan
Old May 28, 2012, 01:40 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,109 Posts
Well as i said one minit you're looking like a King and the next you're looking like a Queen,guess nobody got to dress up Ian in a CORSET BLOOMERS AND PANTIES.
P.S the Aussies claim they usually bury them 9 Ft and then call the priest!
N.B for those that dont speak english well,it's a bloddy compliment.Well done Ian.