SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 21, 2005, 04:57 AM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Discussion
Plastics used in microhelis

I've noticed there's a pretty huge variation in plastic quality used in micro helis.

For example, the Piccolo frames are pretty sturdy (except for the battery lip) - it seems to be made from some fiber-reinforced plastic.

The cheaper helis seem to use a soft bendy plastic.

Anybody have any insight into the different types of plastic used, and their various qualities?

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2005, 06:53 AM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
Hey, your supposed to tell us, Toshi

I can tell you this, the plastic that walkera uses for their frames is the plastic equivalent of pot metal. Plastic like that would never be used in any structural application in other products that cost a hundred bucks. In fact they should switch the plastics that the tx is made of for the helicopter frame.
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Dec 21, 2005, 07:07 AM
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMorita
I've noticed there's a pretty huge variation in plastic quality used in micro helis.

For example, the Piccolo frames are pretty sturdy (except for the battery lip) - it seems to be made from some fiber-reinforced plastic.

The cheaper helis seem to use a soft bendy plastic.

Anybody have any insight into the different types of plastic used, and their various qualities?

Toshi

Rotor head assemblies on Blade CP's are glass filled nylons, frame parts appear to be non-filled nylons. The glass adds to the rigity, and holds the small tolerances in the injection mold process. The GFN's are strong, but they can be brittle and break easy, especially in very dry environments. I think they actually design a lot of these pieces to break with impacts, however I think materials such as Delrin (acetals) would be better on high stress components (it'll bend a little and not break so easy). They're are tons of engineered resins all with different properties, a lot of them are also very expensive, at work we're seeing resin prices soar due to the huricane and energy prices.
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Old Dec 21, 2005, 07:09 AM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB
Hey, your supposed to tell us, Toshi

I can tell you this, the plastic that walkera uses for their frames is the plastic equivalent of pot metal. Plastic like that would never be used in any structural application in other products that cost a hundred bucks. In fact they should switch the plastics that the tx is made of for the helicopter frame.
Well, yeah...I usually do a lot of research to put info in the EHBG, but in this case I don't have much of a starting point.

I should put your quote in the EHBG...I'm assuming you have a walkera?

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita