HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2014, 02:14 AM
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jan 2014
12 Posts
Discussion
UBEC or LiFe Battery, what is the best solution?

Hi guys,
I'm net in the glow engine topic, still flying electric as well and will most probably continue with both but I like a lot nitro planes as well. I am an owner of WOT Mk2 1.3m wingspan with 8.5CC engine and I have a question which is in my mind as it happened to many people. To power your receiver and servos what do you think is the best option? Many people complained about SBEC/UBEC that are heating up and could stop and your plane will crash and they give as an option to use directly a LiFe battery but this means clearly that your servos will have to be above 6V so in the end HV. I use and SBEC 5-6V 3A and now switched to a new one 8A 5-6V as the previous one was second hand, did not tested yet in the flying this new one, just on the ground an I am lets say scared about a possible heating up from the SBEC and thinking to sell the standard servos that I have now and buy HV and use LiFe battery. What you are using now? Did you had issues with SBEC/UBEC? I am having an HiModel one.
Thx in advance for your feedback.
bogdan.motrici is offline Find More Posts by bogdan.motrici
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2014, 06:44 AM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,062 Posts
You don't need HV rated servos or a voltage regulator to run LIFE batteries. Any servo rated for 6 volts will be ok. I have been running unregulated LIFE packs with standard servos for years with no problem. If you plan on using a 7.4 volt LIPO battery then use the HV servos.
WCB is offline Find More Posts by WCB
Old Aug 07, 2014, 08:37 AM
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Jan 2014
12 Posts
Thx WCB for your feedback, but I still have a concern, my S3003 Futaba are between 4.8-6V, a fully charged 2S LiFe battery is 7.2 V, right? So this 1.2 V on top of 6V that servo support really does not affect? Sorry for being paranoiac but I am running glow engine model as well and do not want to have a crash with it.
Cheers,
Bogdan
bogdan.motrici is offline Find More Posts by bogdan.motrici
Old Aug 07, 2014, 10:52 AM
Hutch
United States, Mt, Bozeman
Joined Jan 2012
313 Posts
+1 Life, those 3003s handle it without trouble. A life pack jumps down to 6.6V once you put any load on it (or pull it off the charger), so no need to worry about the 7.2V. About the same voltage as a "6V" batt anyways.
hutchinstuff is online now Find More Posts by hutchinstuff
Old Aug 07, 2014, 11:32 AM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Jul 2013
55 Posts
Here's a post from another forum that I thought did a pretty good job of explaining the differences between NiMH/NiCad and LiFE batteries, in terms of voltages and needs for a regulator.

Voltage Regulator for LiFE Rx Battery?

I think the bottom line is if your receiver and servos are rated for 6V, you should be okay with a LiFE. I started flying with a LiFE on Futaba s3003's without a regulator a few months ago and haven't had any issues yet.
chiggerbite is offline Find More Posts by chiggerbite
Old Aug 08, 2014, 12:15 AM
United States, GA, Loganville
Joined Aug 2012
234 Posts
A 5 cell NiMH charges up to 7.2 v just like a LiFE battery.
bigblueswope is offline Find More Posts by bigblueswope
Old Aug 08, 2014, 10:42 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,387 Posts
as said, I hafta agree, trust your Futaba's! they handle a 5 cell nihm and life batts with ease!

been doing it for years! pumping 7 volts through all my Futaba servo's and receiver's!

I lost a 55cc plane due too what I think was a castle 10amp regulator failure!

keep it simple!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 08:16 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,051 Posts
At present I don't use either, With that said, when my Nixxx packs begin to fail they will be replaced with LiFe packs WITHOUT a regulator. Leaving out the regulator is one less thing to fail, not to mention two less connections in the system.

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:25 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,691 Posts
There's no problem with LiFe direct into a receiver. I fly LiFe on all my glow planes and glider but two (due to battery space constraints and there were flying before I started converting to LiFe). I fly Airtronics, Spektrum and Futaba on 2.4GHz, and Futaba & JR on 72MHz. I've never had an issue with a LiFe, and have never run a regulator with a LiFe - it's now my battery of choice for receiver packs.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Aug 19, 2014, 04:32 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,062 Posts
Would there be a problem in using an unregulated 2S lipo as a Rx pack?

I know that my Rx is fine, up to 9V.

What about the servos?
bogbeagle is offline Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Last edited by bogbeagle; Aug 19, 2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 07:49 AM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogbeagle View Post
Would there be a problem in using an unregulated 2S lipo as a Rx pack?

I know that my Rx is fine, up to 9V.

What about the servos?
You'll need a regulator or you'll need to use high voltage servos.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:51 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,062 Posts
Thanks. I bought a ubec for that reason ... haven't used the system in anger, yet.

I was just hoping that it might be redundant ... well, it could be, if I buy some LiFe batteries.
bogbeagle is offline Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Aug 20, 2014, 09:19 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
as said, I hafta agree, trust your Futaba's! they handle a 5 cell nihm and life batts with ease!

been doing it for years! pumping 7 volts through all my Futaba servo's and receiver's!

I lost a 55cc plane due too what I think was a castle 10amp regulator failure!

keep it simple!

I had a Castle reducer quit working on me also. Luckily it was only used on an ignition system and I saved the plane. No more reducers for me = one less thing to bring my plane down.
I have used life batteries with Futaba 3003 and 3305 okay, but I feel the best solution is to keep it simple. Use a matched power supply and servo for best results....
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Sep 07, 2014, 06:04 AM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
981 Posts
I can't use Life batteries to run my electric planes (22 volts, 110 amps). I have all sorts of LiPo batteries all over the place. Why would I go out and buy another kind of battery and complicate things?

If you don't fly electrics, and only use batteries for the RX and servos, then not using an SBEC may make sense.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Sep 07, 2014, 08:54 AM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuest3141 View Post
I can't use Life batteries to run my electric planes (22 volts, 110 amps). I have all sorts of LiPo batteries all over the place. Why would I go out and buy another kind of battery and complicate things?

If you don't fly electrics, and only use batteries for the RX and servos, then not using an SBEC may make sense.
Having two different kinds of batteries is complicated? Really?