HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2013, 07:51 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jul 2013
33 Posts
Got my mCPx v2 with DX6i today! Spent about an hour getting everything setup (setup transmitter for beginner, swash level, zero pitch).

Tried flying inside the house. Way too tough for me, crashed quite a few times. Figured out I had the battery mounted wrong.. fixed that, compensated the swash so the heli would take off without going left.

Went outside for a test flight. Didn't do too bad! On the second battery, was able to control (well, keep it from crashing) the heli for maybe 60 seconds at a time. This is addicting!

The advice here really helped. I concentrated on the "don't touch the controls" advice for hovering, which was a BIG help.

Now, I have more questions about the mCPx!

1. Turning the rotors by the main gear, there is quite a bit of resistance, nothing like the mini-z cars I had. Is this normal?

2. After crashes when the blades hit the ground, the main gear is turned from the shaft (the indentation doesn't line up). I have to remove and reinstall. Is this normal or is it already time to replace the main gear? Any reason to upgrade to aftermarket?

3. Battery chargers.. definitely need to upgrade. I was thinking about Thunder AC680 with Mini Paraboard and a lipo safe bag. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!!
tribe is offline Find More Posts by tribe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2013, 09:59 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,479 Posts
Yes, there is a lot of resistance turning the main gear. I always thought it should be looser, too. But, there's no good way to accomplish that.

The main gear slips down on the shaft to avoid damage. You just need to realign it and push it back up.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:09 PM
Great Quad & Good Cigar 😎
United States, CO, Calhan
Joined May 2013
412 Posts
Advice on MSR Heli's

I scored pretty good on a couple of "use as is" MSR Heli's, both said they had issues with the 5 in 1 board, and 1 came with a replacement board, and a bunch of other parts. The 2nd one was advertised and sold as parts. So took each one and did a bind with the transmitter as both were inop, now after binding, both are working.
One has a bent servo push rod, and the swash plate got hyper extended trying to put the servo rod back on. Have a replacement swash plate as well. Rods on order.
Quest, looked at video on using the swash plate adjuster, and it looks simple enough. But when I hold the heli, nose pointing towards me and look at the swash plate it has a slight but noticeable tip to the left. Both of them.
Is this normal configuration or is it suppose to perfectly horizontal?
Can I bind these with my DX5E, that I use on my simulator?
Just need to confirm the swashplate Level, and I can fly one of these this weekend, additional parts definitely won't go to waste.
Old Man Zzzz is offline Find More Posts by Old Man Zzzz
Old Jul 12, 2013, 02:00 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Zzzz View Post
I scored pretty good on a couple of "use as is" MSR Heli's, both said they had issues with the 5 in 1 board, and 1 came with a replacement board, and a bunch of other parts. The 2nd one was advertised and sold as parts. So took each one and did a bind with the transmitter as both were inop, now after binding, both are working.
One has a bent servo push rod, and the swash plate got hyper extended trying to put the servo rod back on. Have a replacement swash plate as well. Rods on order.
Quest, looked at video on using the swash plate adjuster, and it looks simple enough. But when I hold the heli, nose pointing towards me and look at the swash plate it has a slight but noticeable tip to the left. Both of them.
Is this normal configuration or is it suppose to perfectly horizontal?
Can I bind these with my DX5E, that I use on my simulator?
Just need to confirm the swashplate Level, and I can fly one of these this weekend, additional parts definitely won't go to waste.
No reason why you can't use the DX5e, other than it only has one model memory.

The Swash should be perfectly level, this is done by adjusting the length of the pushrods.
Then a couple of test hovers to finetune and eliminate and drift by adjusting the pushrods.
Always use full turns on the pushrod ends as they are designed to fit only one way
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Jul 12, 2013, 05:40 PM
Joined Jul 2013
33 Posts
Had the chance to run 6 batteries so far with the mCPx. Only damaged one part so far - feathering spindle. After 6 batteries, tail-in hovering is becoming somewhat consistent, along with landing. So far, very happy about the decision to jump into a CP!
Old Jul 12, 2013, 07:54 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,479 Posts
It's good to see you are enjoying it and making some progress. It's too big a jump for some people, especially older people.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 08:36 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe View Post
So far, very happy about the decision to jump into a CP!
hehe, welcome to the family. i'm learning on 450. still going through the "break-in" period. you know...break fbl head, main shaft, main gear, servos.
i think it feels more stable now. i can do 3 foot box hovering sometimes (vertically speaking too) tail in. mostly less than 10 feet box.
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:17 AM
Joined Jul 2013
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
It's good to see you are enjoying it and making some progress. It's too big a jump for some people, especially older people.
Without RC car and Syma S107 experience, it would definitely be too big a jump. It helps to know how to fix these things. The first 3 battery packs I spent 100x as much time fixing compared to flying! Without the resources on this board for transmitter setup and common problems/fixes, I wouldn't have made it as far as hovering before giving up. Thanks to all for the great advice!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined May 2013
412 Posts
MSR Swashplate

I posted the question a couple of days ago, but before I go tweeking Thought I would show you my question as well.

All my heli's come out of the box l, so with that tilt. Just to be sure I'm explaining myself correctly. The MSR with blades rotating with sticks centered looks like this, so based on the answer the tilt you see should be level, port & starboard and fore & aft, Aye !! matey,
Replacement parts for my DH 9116 are on a slow boat from China apparently, all for one screw. Sheesh! !
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:12 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,479 Posts
Quote:
I posted the question a couple of days ago, but before I go tweeking Thought I would show you my question as well.

All my heli's come out of the box l, so with that tilt. Just to be sure I'm explaining myself correctly. The MSR with blades rotating with sticks centered looks like this, so based on the answer the tilt you see should be level, port & starboard and fore & aft, Aye !! matey,
Replacement parts for my DH 9116 are on a slow boat from China apparently, all for one screw. Sheesh! !
Most micro FP helis come with a slight tilt to the right (5 when viewed from behind). This is intentional and is meant to compensate for translating tendency (the effect of the tail motor pushing). You should consider that 5 offset as level. The MCPX does not have this offset, nor do other CP micros I'm familiar with. Their heads develop enough torque to not require this assist.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 05:41 PM
Joined May 2013
412 Posts
Quote:
Most micro FP helis come with a slight tilt to the right (5 when viewed from behind). This is intentional and is meant to compensate for translating tendency (the effect of the tail motor pushing). You should consider that 5 offset as level. The MCPX does not have this offset, nor do other CP micros I'm familiar with. Their heads develop enough torque to not require this assist.
So would be appropriate to try an adjust it out some more, as it tends to go that way

Steve
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:27 PM
Joined May 2013
412 Posts
Msr

OK, adjusted for level swashplate, eyeballing....so was testing it, tested worse. So pulled up some Videos, and played around with the pushrod adjustments. But I'm so for out now, I want to get back to a factory setting (if there is such a thing) and start over. Have not been able to find anything that says the Servo push rods should be set at (4-turns from bottom, etc) or whatever.
I"ve got the TX set at midscale, and want to work upwards...any suggestions?
Steve
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Jul 2013
33 Posts
I bought a swash level tool, but it is probably just as accurate to use the "zip tie" method.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....60#post3859660
Old Jul 15, 2013, 09:09 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,479 Posts
Quote:
OK, adjusted for level swashplate, eyeballing....so was testing it, tested worse. So pulled up some Videos, and played around with the pushrod adjustments. But I'm so for out now, I want to get back to a factory setting (if there is such a thing) and start over. Have not been able to find anything that says the Servo push rods should be set at (4-turns from bottom, etc) or whatever.
I"ve got the TX set at midscale, and want to work upwards...any suggestions?
Steve
If you mean it tends to go right when you take off, that's normal for any heli and should not be compensated. If you mean it tends to move right after you have achieved level flight, you can adjust it. The MSR usually has a swashplate leveling tool.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 09:38 PM
Joined Jul 2013
33 Posts
Quote:
Start with a Blade Nano Qx quad and a DX6i.
Just ordered a Nano Qx BNF. The mCPx for me is too difficult to fly indoors. Hopefully the Nano Qx will give me some productive indoor flight time!