HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:01 PM
United States, IN, Veedersburg
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
Help!
I need help identifying these old pattern planes

I got these old pattern planes in a trade and. I can't positively identity them. I was hoping someone with more knowledge about vintage pattern planes could help me out. All I know is they are older and had Kraft servos in them. I am in the process of restoring them and putting more modern servos in, along with installing new air lines that have all but turned to dust. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
warhawk4107 is offline Find More Posts by warhawk4107
Last edited by warhawk4107; Feb 04, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:05 PM
USA, TX, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2004
1,365 Posts
On the red, white and blue bird, my guess would be either a T-2A or Tigertail.
txflyboys2 is offline Find More Posts by txflyboys2
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:50 AM
United States, IL, North Aurora
Joined Sep 2009
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txflyboys2 View Post
On the red, white and blue bird, my guess would be either a T-2A or Tigertail.
I'd agree for certain it's a T2A for the red, white, and blue one. The red and white one smacks of a Sig Kommander (or was it the Komet)? Watcha think? Still thinking on the white one (shades of a wood built P-6, but not likely).
Mark
hook57 is offline Find More Posts by hook57
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:07 PM
West Coast Director, CPA
Simi Valley, California
Joined Jan 2010
747 Posts
The re/white/blue one in not a T-2A. The nose chin is similar. The T-2A is a glass fuse, and the belly is not that deep. The T-2A has a clear canopy with flats for two pilots figures, and the fin does not have the fixed upper part.
Unfortunately, the only pattern plane of days past that I have no pictures of is my T2-A. I do have a vivid recollection of the details, as I used to work for the guy that made them. Funny how I can remember such trivia, but I cannot recall what I had for lunch yesterday.
-Robert
Vertigo II is offline Find More Posts by Vertigo II
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:43 PM
United States, IL, North Aurora
Joined Sep 2009
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo II View Post
The re/white/blue one in not a T-2A. The nose chin is similar. The T-2A is a glass fuse, and the belly is not that deep. The T-2A has a clear canopy with flats for two pilots figures, and the fin does not have the fixed upper part.
Unfortunately, the only pattern plane of days past that I have no pictures of is my T2-A. I do have a vivid recollection of the details, as I used to work for the guy that made them. Funny how I can remember such trivia, but I cannot recall what I had for lunch yesterday.
-Robert
Upon further review, you're likely correct Robert! A closer look at the chin and the canopy doesn't quite look right. I did have a T2A, never did get a chance to fly it though (sold it at a swap meet). I hear ya on yesterday's lunch, but recalling planes from 35 years ago!
Mark
hook57 is offline Find More Posts by hook57
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:11 PM
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
I was thinking my red and white plane may be a bridi compensator. What ever they are it has been a challenge, in a fun way, to fix up classic planes that were destined for the dumpster. One of the planes i got was a super kaos. I flew it this weekend and it flew like it was on rails. I see now why there is such a following of the classic pattern planes. I can't wait to get the others finished and get them in the air.
I plan on buying 2 sweetaters from eureka aircraft, using o.s. 61sf engines on them. Should be good fun.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:45 PM
West Coast Director, CPA
Simi Valley, California
Joined Jan 2010
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhawk4107 View Post
I flew it this weekend and it flew like it was on rails. I see now why there is such a following of the classic pattern planes. I can't wait to get the others finished and get them in the air.
I plan on buying 2 sweetaters from eureka aircraft, using o.s. 61sf engines on them. Should be good fun.
You got it Buddy! Welcome to the club.

-Robert
Vertigo II is offline Find More Posts by Vertigo II
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:52 PM
SoCal
Joined Feb 2004
391 Posts
Not a Compensator in the pics. The white model looks a bit like a model called the Technician. But I have no idea on the others.

Have fun getting them going! I really enjoy flying Classic.
TonyF is offline Find More Posts by TonyF
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:17 PM
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
If anyone has an O.S. 61 SF ringed engine they want to sell or plans for a sweetater let me know, and what you would take for them, thanks.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:13 PM
USA, TX, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2004
1,365 Posts
It might help to see an oblique shot of the planes with their wings mounted. The two flat bottom empenages suggest they may be early to mid-70's designs.
txflyboys2 is offline Find More Posts by txflyboys2
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:22 PM
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
I will see if I can get some more pictures up this weekend.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:01 PM
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
I have added some pictures. I have been working on the white one, it is done other than the rest of the paint.