Old Jul 07, 2011, 06:56 PM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
Discussion
Question about rules

Got a question about you guys.

In freestyle, are you allowed to touch the tail on the ground during a harrier or hover?

Thanks!
Hunter
PinkYakRC is offline Find More Posts by PinkYakRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:21 PM
Citizen #96
NE Denver, CO
Joined Sep 2007
723 Posts
Hi Hunter,

Here's an excerpt from the IMAC safety policy document.

"With respect to the trend of ever-dangerous 3D or Freestyle maneuvers being performed by scale aerobatic planes, IMAC, in the strongest possible terms, does not, and will not, tolerate, condone or endorse maneuvers performed with large scale aerobatic planes such as, but not limited to: hand launching, tail touches of the ground, touching the model while in flight, hovering (or flying) directly over the pilot or other spectators, or any flying at any time on the spectator side of the flight line (as described in the AMA Membership Manual). It is important to note that these maneuvers have never been (nor will be) part of any IMAC competition event."

You can find the whole document here. http://www.mini-iac.com/InfoCentral/...ty-Policy.aspx

Personally I find the statement a little harsh and FOGyish. Almost has overtones of a bias against anyone who flies 3D and thats not justifiable but for now anyway that is an official document that controls IMAC events. I have no problem with a tail touch or drag outside the realm of an official IMAC event. Just recognize the probability that you will likely destroy your rudder servo eventually and possibly render your airplane uncontrollable which MIGHT lead to safety issues for those around you.

Nice flying this weekend. Keep it on the centerline

Steve
Steve Graham is offline Find More Posts by Steve Graham
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:07 AM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W. Corrigan View Post
Hi Hunter,

Here's an excerpt from the IMAC safety policy document.

"With respect to the trend of ever-dangerous 3D or Freestyle maneuvers being performed by scale aerobatic planes, IMAC, in the strongest possible terms, does not, and will not, tolerate, condone or endorse maneuvers performed with large scale aerobatic planes such as, but not limited to: hand launching, tail touches of the ground, touching the model while in flight, hovering (or flying) directly over the pilot or other spectators, or any flying at any time on the spectator side of the flight line (as described in the AMA Membership Manual). It is important to note that these maneuvers have never been (nor will be) part of any IMAC competition event."

You can find the whole document here. http://www.mini-iac.com/InfoCentral/...ty-Policy.aspx

Personally I find the statement a little harsh and FOGyish. Almost has overtones of a bias against anyone who flies 3D and thats not justifiable but for now anyway that is an official document that controls IMAC events. I have no problem with a tail touch or drag outside the realm of an official IMAC event. Just recognize the probability that you will likely destroy your rudder servo eventually and possibly render your airplane uncontrollable which MIGHT lead to safety issues for those around you.

Nice flying this weekend. Keep it on the centerline

Steve
Thank you Steve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W. Corrigan View Post
"With respect to the trend of ever-dangerous 3D or Freestyle maneuvers
This ^^ Made me laugh!

Really though, I drag the rudder around and I have never had it become a safety concern, and when done correctly it should not harm or put excessive load on the servo/servos.

Oh well, thanks for your time in posting this!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:34 AM
moreno valley california
Joined Jun 2008
303 Posts
the part that's really funny is when they state that "these things have never been part of or never will be"...tail touches had been going on for some time when that was written. it was the AMA that wrote into the safety code that tail touches were a violation of the safety code. imac, in their ever diligent efforts to be cutting edge, simply restated the AMA position.
koppterX is offline Find More Posts by koppterX
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:31 PM
South of Sweden
Joined Aug 2010
130 Posts
Hi Hunter,

There is nothing in the current rules that states that a tail touch (or any other part) would be disallowed.
In freestyle there is currenttly three things in the rules that would get You disqualified:
1. If You crash
2. If You fly behind the deadline (located 100ft/30m in front of pilot)
3. If You perform "dangerous or unsafe" or "high energy" maneuvers directed against the judges and/or spectators.

However as stated in previous posts this is not in line with the safety policy...
Which is more strict and also talks about what should or should not be allowed to do during the whole duration of a competition.
Then there is always the CD/Chief judge, local rules/policies and so forth and what they decide.

Clear? Perhaps not. But as a judge i feel I have to act according to the rules also when judging freestyle. And as stated above, there is nothing in there regarding "tail dunking"

Hope this helps!?
IMAC_Sweden is offline Find More Posts by IMAC_Sweden
Last edited by IMAC_Sweden; Jul 14, 2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:25 PM
moreno valley california
Joined Jun 2008
303 Posts
the current safety code forbids flying closer than 25 feet, and touching the aircraft. that is the controlling code, as there is really no such thing as "IMAC rules". CDs are licensed by the AMA, not by IMAC, and their only obligation is to follow the AMA Scale Aerobatic rules as printed or amended by the AMA. Any rules modification has to be approved by the AMA prior to the event.
koppterX is offline Find More Posts by koppterX
Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:43 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,886 Posts
better question,

How many freestyle winners did 3d/hovering in the flight?

I found this thread with basically the same question as pinkyakrc though
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:50 PM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft View Post
better question,

How many freestyle winners did 3d/hovering in the flight?

I found this thread with basically the same question as pinkyakrc though
Me?

Well, if its an AMA rule, then why can people touch the ground at Joe Nall during the contests?