HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:37 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Discussion
thermal

Any of these under $300 sailplanes from Nitro Fly fly others thermal well enough for a flatlander to spend the money on? OR I need to find plans for a modern glass ship 3 to 4 meters that will thermal well.

Also anyone know of a sls sytem I can build for plans or where I can buy one for less than I paid for my truck?
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:37 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
depends what you paid for your truck
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Sep 08, 2010, 03:01 PM
Chicago Mayor: A Terrorist
USA, CA, SoCal
Joined Sep 2002
401 Posts
Best bang for the buck:
ST Model DG-1000 @ Tower

Regarding other SLSs, check this thread: Up & go systems for gliders
pilotfrank is offline Find More Posts by pilotfrank
Old Sep 08, 2010, 04:10 PM
aka Schleppmeister
PA
Joined Feb 2006
1,930 Posts
the only Nitroplanes glider that thermals well is the Discus, which is 4m and which has been "out of stock" for at least 2 years.

http://iflytailies.jimdo.com/
iflytailies is offline Find More Posts by iflytailies
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: S.E.5a Cockpit
Old Sep 08, 2010, 05:15 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,907 Posts
All of the 100" inexpensive (PC) scalies out of China have high wing loading and some have airfoils that are not optimized (PC) for the purpose of keeping the plane flying. They all can be very easy to tip stall and they give little warning when it happens. All are more suited to slope flying than flat land but some have wings that flex quit a bit so intense slope flying is limited to the but pucker factor. If you build very light and remove most of the plastic parts you don't need some can be flown successfully with aerotowing if they maintain air speed.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Sep 08, 2010, 05:16 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,907 Posts
Old Sep 08, 2010, 05:26 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,403 Posts
tlar,

I've never bought nor flown any of the bargain sailplanes you're referring to but there is a common theme that echos throughout the scale soaring thread: you get what you pay for.

If you want something that you are going to enjoy, you need to pony up -- not crazily -- but a bit. Both Soaring USA and ICARE have 3 meter scale ships for under $1,000. The 3.1m Duo Discus has received good reviews and I'm sure others have as well.

If you spend a bit more now, I can almost guarantee that you won't be sorry. This sport is just too cool to go cheap. Save that for fast food,

Mike
yyz is online now Find More Posts by yyz
Last edited by yyz; Sep 08, 2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 06:25 PM
Joined Mar 2010
538 Posts
I got a salto for 99 bucks, put it right back in the box and sold it for 89

I like what I fly
SandyAlan is offline Find More Posts by SandyAlan
Old Sep 08, 2010, 08:41 PM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz View Post
tlar,

I've never bought nor flown any of the bargain sailplanes you're referring to but there is a common theme that echos throughout the scale soaring thread: you get what you pay for.

If you want something that you are going to enjoy, you need to pony up -- not crazily -- but a bit. Both Soaring USA and ICARE have 3 meter scale ships for under $1,000. The 3.1m Duo Discus has received good reviews and I'm sure others have as well.

If you spend a bit more now, I can almost guarantee that you won't be sorry. This sport is just too cool to go cheap. Save that for fast food,

Mike
I heard this exact same snobbery about the Speedo Thermo slope glider from China several years ago. I went ahead and bought it. It has turned out to be an excellent plane. I've flown it more than all my other planes combined the last 3 years. Many, many other people love it too. So much for the, "$38 molded Chinese plane must be junk" that some spouted.

There are many of us who will never be able to afford a $1,000 plane. I find it hard to believe that everything cheaper is crap. Some may be, but I don't believe that the only way to get a good flying scale plane is to spend $1,000.
Cory is offline Find More Posts by Cory
Old Sep 08, 2010, 08:43 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,831 Posts
And here we go!
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Sep 08, 2010, 10:16 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,538 Posts
Cory, sometimes its better to think it, not write it. I have to agree with Mike, obviously, you have an issue with advice or suggestions with might cost more than your $38.00 China special.
I guess you were the one we all heard about, the one guy who got a $38.00 blue light special and it actually flew.
Then again, there is a big difference in opinions on what constitutes "flying good"
It quite possible, what you consider a good flying plane is not considered the same by a VERY highly respected sailplane pilot and builder. Certainly not a snob in my book.

ps,
that China blue light special is from R2 hobbies. I've flown one. It flies ok, for what it is.

len
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Sep 08, 2010, 10:17 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,907 Posts
Adding fuel to the fire. I have built and flown the CMP ventus (102") and the Nitro Salto (96") and build logs are here on RCG. Both had design flaws and production flaws that required mediation or the flight chariteristics would be greatly compromised. For the price I guess this should be expected however most of the problems should never have been problems if the designers knew what they were doing. I also built and flew the 1/6 scale Let 3M ASW 28/18 (build log here on RCG). I will be the first to admit the price for this ship is steep but after playing with it and flying it, it proved YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 10:34 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,831 Posts
Geewiz Len....lay off the poor guy...he has a plane that is called a "Speedo" that right there is embarrassing enough!
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Sep 09, 2010, 01:35 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,047 Posts
I think Len is right. You have to experience a good flying sailplane to understand what it is all about.

I built some good flying (non-scale) stuff when I was in my twenties and if it had a flat glide and could go a hundred yards from a hand launch I thought it was fantastic. Today my standards are higher, but I still like simple stuff that goes up.

There was one picture of Len flying a Foamy Champ in Switzerland, and I heard that he and Steve R did a bit of ridge soaring with their Champs and Steve sold his to a guy who desperately wanted it, and bought another when he got home. I think that takes the two of them out of the giant, super expensive glider category into the category of people who enjoy flying period. Len's comments are all the more appropriate in light of the fact that he does fly other than just high end sailplanes. It gives more meaning to his words.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Last edited by PeteSchug; Sep 09, 2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 03:49 AM
Melbourne,Victoria,Australia
Joined Apr 2010
1,509 Posts
World models Bard-chinese made,looks like the pilatus B4-but not identical to one.It cost me $150 AUD,and it flies well off the SLOPE,not for thermal.I added flaps to it,as it comes in quick for a 2 meter span.No bad habits either,as long as there is a good 15 mph wind blowing,it thrives off the slope-aerobatic as well.Ailerons,flaps added,elevator and rudder-4 channel.regards damo
Damian Couzoff is offline Find More Posts by Damian Couzoff
RCG Plus Member