HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:43 PM
Joined May 2006
33 Posts
Discussion
edf-65 thrust to weight

hey guys i need a little help here i am trying to find out the usual thrust to weight for an edf-65 fan to be able get decent flight out of. i know that 1 :1 would be great but probable not feasible or???
cdromce is offline Find More Posts by cdromce
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2006, 08:09 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
First of all, what motor do you want to use and what airframe do you want to use it in?

1/1 is totaly out of the realm of possiblilties for this fan.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jul 18, 2006, 02:32 AM
Joined May 2006
33 Posts
edf-65

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX
First of all, what motor do you want to use and what airframe do you want to use it in?

1/1 is totaly out of the realm of possiblilties for this fan.

Eric B.
eric i am in the process of sizing up dre's f-22 plans to fit the edf-65, as for motor it is the stock motor until i can get some idea of what motors will work in the fan. i appear to be heading for about 7 to 10 oz area in weight. in my blog you can see some of the work i have done to upsize this plan from dre's edf-40 plans. i am a nubie but love to experiment and build things so i hope to get at least a flyer maybe not fast but stays in the sky flyer out of this.
thanks for your help

chuck
Old Jul 18, 2006, 05:07 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,319 Posts
Chuck,
We have played around with the GWS64 a bit with both CDrom type motors and with Hyperon 3600Kv inrunners. I think the numbers for the Hyperon was around 17amps for about 15 ounces of thrust on a 3 cell 2100 bat. This was in a airliner type nacelle so you will loose some if it goes into fighter like ducting.

You may want to look at a depron flat plate design. I think I've seen a Panther that was done here about a year ago for the edf64 and it looked pritty good, might try a search.

good luck -- Stacker
stacker is offline Find More Posts by stacker
Old Jul 18, 2006, 07:11 PM
Joined May 2006
33 Posts
edf

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker
Chuck,
We have played around with the GWS64 a bit with both CDrom type motors and with Hyperon 3600Kv inrunners. I think the numbers for the Hyperon was around 17amps for about 15 ounces of thrust on a 3 cell 2100 bat. This was in a airliner type nacelle so you will loose some if it goes into fighter like ducting.

You may want to look at a depron flat plate design. I think I've seen a Panther that was done here about a year ago for the edf64 and it looked pritty good, might try a search.

good luck -- Stacker
thanks stacker for the info i will play a bit more with this edf then look into the flat design thanks
Old Jul 18, 2006, 07:50 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdromce
eric i am in the process of sizing up dre's f-22 plans to fit the edf-65, as for motor it is the stock motor until i can get some idea of what motors will work in the fan. i appear to be heading for about 7 to 10 oz area in weight. in my blog you can see some of the work i have done to upsize this plan from dre's edf-40 plans. i am a nubie but love to experiment and build things so i hope to get at least a flyer maybe not fast but stays in the sky flyer out of this.
thanks for your help

chuck
Hi Chuck,

Go ahead and plunge into the fun, I knew if there was more informaion given there would be someone to help. I fly Wemotecs and the GWS 55 and GWS 40 in different airframes, its all fun.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:39 AM
Joined May 2006
33 Posts
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX
Hi Chuck,

Go ahead and plunge into the fun, I knew if there was more informaion given there would be someone to help. I fly Wemotecs and the GWS 55 and GWS 40 in different airframes, its all fun.

Eric B.
thanks eric
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:01 PM
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Mar 2004
3,319 Posts
Chuck,
Here is a link for a Panther that was done by Esprit440 for edf40 and I believe he also did one for a edf75. This could be scaled for a 64 unit and with a good brushless you might get 1 to 1 using a 20c small bat. pack (1200 3 cell)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4&page=2&pp=15

I think plans are available on the link.

Cheer --- Stacker
stacker is offline Find More Posts by stacker
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:24 PM
Joined May 2006
33 Posts
edf

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker
Chuck,
Here is a link for a Panther that was done by Esprit440 for edf40 and I believe he also did one for a edf75. This could be scaled for a 64 unit and with a good brushless you might get 1 to 1 using a 20c small bat. pack (1200 3 cell)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4&page=2&pp=15

I think plans are available on the link.

Cheer --- Stacker
thanks stacker i am there dude