HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2014, 10:03 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,080 Posts
Build Log
Ultimate´s Das Slupen Thing

Hi buddies. Let my sharing the construction of this oldie vintage glider from Hobby Shack. At the end of the seventies, when I was a teenager , a gentle US military modeller called Gordon Flint who was my master, gift to me a kit that he ordered from the States. He built also another one and at the same time that he was building his sailplane, he show me how to build, convering and more later flying.
Both gliders were powered with a Cox Tee Dee 051 with a red tank-mount just bolted on the first bulkhead and standard size radio was used for controlling...
Some days ago a good friend called me saying that in the classified adds there are a member who sold this kit. My friend knows that I was really spend a lot of time searching for a set of plans or good conditions of this nowdays strange and little glider so I bought. Some copy tho the plans to preserve the original one and save patterns of all die cut parts .....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2143757
ultimatetwo is online now Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Last edited by ultimatetwo; May 15, 2014 at 09:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2014, 10:08 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,080 Posts
Lets go removing the die cut from the balsa sheets and also plywood reinforcement. Man, it is really hard compared with nowdays laser cutting to remove this kind of " die crunch " of cheap kits on the seventies....
I traced also all cut out ribs, formers and so on the back of the plans to future references. Also covered the plans with wax paper for protection and avoid to stick the glue between the wood and plans....
Some mods will be done on the wing tips, a two piece wing, with bolt on option instead of rubber bands, more slim fuse and electric conversion.....
Old May 08, 2014, 10:31 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
What a great project Manolo! I will be following your build, as usual!

Best,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old May 08, 2014, 11:26 AM
Joined Feb 2007
380 Posts
Get rid of the balsa spars. Eventually they fail as did on mine. Spruce is the way to keep this one alive and well for years. Sure flight had an Eye Soar which had them and it lived a long happy life.
Keith Kindrick is offline Find More Posts by Keith Kindrick
Old May 08, 2014, 04:10 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,080 Posts
Tx buddies for your gentle words and support. Rob, welcome to the blog and please, feel like home....
Keith, Tx also for you for your tip. Actually this is the idea, to change the balsa wing spars by pine; ( Chilean Pine ). I went this evening to my nearest hobby shop in Jerez and bought some spars, glue and other stuff...
You´re absolutly right about the balsa spars failure with time. That´s is the reason of my first Das Slupen death,
Used with motor conversión it worked fine, but after three years or so and many flights, I built a new fuse as pure sailplane and on the beach I tried a high start launch with my Heavy Duty Catapult from Craft Air..... I used the same tension that was fine for the Aquila and BOT, and wing failed ..... On that time many thing need to learn; ( like now too )...
Ribs must be notched a little to accep the pine 7x3 mm. spars, and also plywood reinforcement were glued with epoxy, more latter will be cut by half cause we will built the wing in two halves. Also wing tip was swaped for a more light wing tip idea, outlines were done to match a little the fuse lines...
Old May 08, 2014, 05:47 PM
Joined Apr 2005
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Kindrick View Post
Get rid of the balsa spars. Eventually they fail as did on mine. Spruce is the way to keep this one alive and well for years. Sure flight had an Eye Soar which had them and it lived a long happy life.
Looking forward to the build also, Manolo.

BTW, my Dal Slurpen kit came with spruce spars, and also the 1/8" square turbulator spars were spruce. The kit had been started and a previous owner had cemented one of those 1/8" spruce sticks onto the edge of a fuselage side instead of using a 3/16" square balsa stick.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old May 08, 2014, 09:20 PM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,953 Posts
I have a Das Slupen Thing that I got built. I got it built for less than the cost of the kit.

Mine has a wing that is cut down one bay each at the tips buy the previous owner, but it still flies fine. My only note on this plane is that it helps to limit total rudder throw- if you really lean on the rudder it'll do a huge snap roll. If you limit the total volume of throw it won't do that.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old May 09, 2014, 07:41 AM
Joined Feb 2007
380 Posts
Always happy to help. I did the product test for this sailplane for RCM. It was my first review for Dick Kidd. I am pleased to hear that spruce spars made it into these kits at some point. Back to the build
Keith Kindrick is offline Find More Posts by Keith Kindrick
Old May 09, 2014, 09:53 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,080 Posts
Tx again buddies for your gentle words and support. No doubt that spruce spars is the way to go..., absolutly. About the too much rudder travel that induced a spin... if I remember that also happened to mine from time to time..., Gordon my master sugested to add some wing tip washout in the trailing edge near the tips, a twist of 1cm. high and washout start over 20 cm. from the marginals as he did on his Slupen and helped a lot, also keeping the tips lights my do something about, lets see.....
I remember that on that time I must join to the Army and went to Africa, so no flying time during a year and a half. Time on the dessert camp goes slow and for keep busy, from time to time, I did some drawings of my trusty Slupen with some mods ....
Great to know that you did the review of the Das Slupen for RCM, Keith. Any option to get some good pics of the review ..., if so please feel free to post here or as you wish.., for sure that will be a very valuable information, mate.
Manolo.
Last edited by ultimatetwo; May 09, 2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old May 09, 2014, 10:02 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,080 Posts
And said that, lets begin the construction itself.... we begin with the inner pannels... Spruce longerons were hold with T pins ala slalom fashion over the table bench, and ribs used to adjust the right distances betwen them and trailing and leading edges. Center plywood diedral reinforcement were cut by half and glued with epoxy to the spars....
Old May 10, 2014, 06:40 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
1,037 Posts
Manlo, I love your build threads! I always learn a thing or two following your builds.
Did you cut new ribs for the wing?
TScott1118 is offline Find More Posts by TScott1118
Old May 12, 2014, 09:29 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,080 Posts
Tx a lot for your gentle words and support Tom...
Actually the idea, as you said, was to cut new wood pieces of all the die cutting on kit and preserve the original wood inside the kit, plans and box incluided, but after thinking a little about I just disregard the idea, after all, really I doesn´t want to earn any money or so on keeping these old wood kit, just have enough time to rebuild again planes that I did a long time, or some time I wished to build. By other aproach, wood incluided on kit was mainly on very good conditions after these years and on the other hand nothing is eternal. What a best destinity to a plane kit is that building and fly it?....
After that the idea is to use the most wood from the original kit and yes, to keep some set of copies of the plans and patterns of all the die cutting for future references, for another build, repairs, others modellers that wish to build or so....
And said that to friend Tom, let´s posting a little bit the wing build. We continue adding the bottom center sheeting from original 1/16 balsa sheet. A little mod for a some streng and most important a smoother covering is to leave the corners of the sheeting with a round curve to help disipate better the stress... Also we build from a piece of scrap a balsa diedral angle gauge to help position in the right angle the ribs on the center and diedral joints...
Last edited by ultimatetwo; May 12, 2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old May 12, 2014, 09:39 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,080 Posts
Let´s go again...
As one of the mods, as said is a two wing pieces, for better transporting and storing, we need to build a joiner box for the brass tubes and the carbon rod. After the center rib was matched with the angle gauge at the right angle we did a front side joiner box with 1/16 aircraft grade ply. For disipate the stress towards the tips, we changed the second balsa shear web between spars by another done in 1/8 light ply with the grain lengthwise ala Renaud´s O2 fashion.
Also the rest of the shear webs of the main pannels are done instead of 1/16 balsa with another one of fresh and new balsa wood of 1/8 wide as the wide of the pine spars.
Old May 12, 2014, 09:45 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,080 Posts
Aliphatic carpenters white; ( or better yellow ), glue was used to glue the shear webbing between spars and ribs, and a carefully match taking the time to do the best possible match, using temporally the top spar to see the match and sand as neccesary when needed....
Also we glued with epoxy the last plywood die cut shear web on the poliedral joint and check also for the fit of the square reinforce pieces.
A 1/8 die-cut balsa triangle was glued also to the leading edge spar and last outer ribs of the center pannels....
And that´s all for now folks....
Best regards.
Manolo.
Old May 13, 2014, 02:50 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
643 Posts
Awesome craftsmanship, as always, Manolo. I wondered about an easy way to make those nice rounded corners in the sheeting -- now I know.

Those ply square reinforcements at the dihedral joint are very interesting. Never seen that on a design before.

Regards,
Allan
R2R is online now Find More Posts by R2R