SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:32 PM
masterless samurai
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Feb 2013
946 Posts
Discussion
Flashing Frsky D8R-II Plus for CPPM (27ms)

I want to flash my Frsky D8R-II Plus with newer firmware allowing me to use CPPM. I'm also aware about the slow refresh but it looks like they've fixed that with the compatible D8R-XP firmware. In this tutorial, the author seems to be using a USB TTL cable to flash the D8R-II Plus.

It looks like he is tapping the 3.3v to any of the (+) pins on the rx; the GND to any of the (-) on the rx; the Tx to the Rx pin on the rx; and the Rx to the Tx pin on the rx.

Since a USB TTL cable is being used, I think the tx/rx signals need to be inverted based on this blog post.

Can I confirm this with anyone that might have some insight? Alternatively, Frsky does sell a firmware upgrade cable but I've got a USB TTL cable lying around from my Tarot T-2D gimbal.
the.ronin is offline Find More Posts by the.ronin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2014, 02:18 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,321 Posts
I did it last night. I used an FTDI breakout board and set it to invert the TX/RX lines. Then connect as you describe. Ensure you put the jumper on before applying power to the receiver. I believe it was the signal line on CH7 and CH8.

If your USB-Serial cable can't do signal inversion, you will need to add hardware to invert them. There are a number of ways to do that.
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Feb 26, 2014, 02:35 PM
masterless samurai
Joined Feb 2013
946 Posts
Thanks ttabal - yes, signal pins on ch7 and ch8 jumped to enter rx's program mode.

Do you think I can use the USB TTL cable that came with my Tarot gimbal? I guess I can just plug it into my computer and run the FT_PROG utility and if it reads the cable it should work, right?

[edit] By the way ttabal, I did end up just getting the X8R and the sbus is working awesome!! (From this discussion.)
Old Feb 26, 2014, 05:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2,321 Posts
I would think if your cable is detected by FT_PROG, it should work fine.

Glad you got it going! I really need to get an sbus compatible FC one of these days just to try it out.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 05:42 PM
masterless samurai
Joined Feb 2013
946 Posts
I'm still just learning this stuff (as if it wasn't obvious). The extra 6 servo leads saved me 10g which doesn't sound like much but it adds up. I was all stoked with a new mini-h since I had not yet returned the X6R only to find that the Naze32 FC is CPPM but not SBUS compatible LOL. And on a mini-h, 10g is nothing to scoff at.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 05:46 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2,321 Posts
For a light CPPM RX, it's hard to beat the D4R-II.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 02:45 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,220 Posts
How they fixed slow refresh, if still 27 ms ?
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Feb 27, 2014, 09:38 AM
Joined Jan 2012
2,321 Posts
Following the link, he wasn't concerned so much about refresh speed as the 18ms frame being too short for 8ch CPPM.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:00 PM
masterless samurai
Joined Feb 2013
946 Posts
Ok so checked last night and the FT_PROG was *not* recognizing the USB TTL. The program starts up fine so I'm assuming the drivers were ok and .net framework was recognized. It just couldn't see the USB plugged in.

So I'll be waiting on a Frsky update cable in the mail then.
Old Mar 09, 2014, 05:30 PM
United States, NV, Minden
Joined Apr 2011
870 Posts
Any progress the.ronin?

I've got all FrSky cables required to update my Taranis module but I'm not sure if these cables can be also used to update the firmware of D8R-II+. Anyway, I have some FTDI adapters here...

My main concern is that if D8R-XP firmware can be applied to D8R-II+ with no side-effects.
rnelias is offline Find More Posts by rnelias
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:30 PM
USA, MO, Lake St Louis
Joined Feb 2006
28 Posts
Quote:
My main concern is that if D8R-XP firmware can be applied to D8R-II+ with no side-effects.
copy that
madgadget is offline Find More Posts by madgadget
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:08 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jun 2006
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelias View Post
Any progress the.ronin?

I've got all FrSky cables required to update my Taranis module but I'm not sure if these cables can be also used to update the firmware of D8R-II+. Anyway, I have some FTDI adapters here...

I flashed my taranis internal module as well as my d8r-ii+ with pretty much the same cables. I used the same FTDI programmer for both (programmed for inverted RX/TX signals). The taranis internal module just required a diode between the rx/tx signals. to program the d8r-ii+, I just removed the diode, and used the rx/tx/gnd from the ftdi programmer to do the d8r-ii+.

One thing to look out for - it seems like the frsky programming software has some serious serial timing issues, so it took me several tries to get everything to connect and make it through the update process successfully.
boogyman is offline Find More Posts by boogyman
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:44 PM
United States, NV, Minden
Joined Apr 2011
870 Posts
@madgadget

I've flashed my D8R-II+ with firmware D8R-XP and it's been working fine in CPPM. No side-effects at all
rnelias is offline Find More Posts by rnelias
Old Jul 08, 2014, 07:18 AM
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Mar 2008
151 Posts
So if I'm understanding this correctly, after the flash to the XP FW,

CH1 = CPPM CH1-8
CH2 = RSSI
CH3 = Jumpered
CH4 = Jumpered
CH5 = ?
CH6 = ?
CH7 = ?
CH8 = ?

CH5-8 are what exactly? Regular open channels I can plug gimbals, lights, landing gear, etc?

In other words with this flash you gain an addition 4 usable channels?
h00t is offline Find More Posts by h00t
Old Jul 08, 2014, 08:18 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,220 Posts
All the above assumption are right, but the "gain" part is valid only if ch5-8 aren't already decoded/used by FC.
CH5 is usually used for flight modes, so not useful for control something.

The very first CPPM D8 receiver Frsky approach used ch8 only for CPPM, no RSSI. So any HT / gimbal usage on ch8 was not possible without decoding externally the CH8 from CPPM stream.
Was my "fault" to turn them to actual layout, arguing that ch1-4 are useless in CPPM mode anyway, because the FC/OSD decodes them internally, and also people need Ch6-8 for various stuff.
My vision was to have a config app, using serial line, allowing to program each channel purpose, thus allowing CPPM / RSSI on any ch1-8 pins, according to user needs. That's because there were people not needing CPPM but RSSI only, not using HT or gimbals, just basic FPV, and requesting RSSI on ch8, for example.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa