HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2014, 08:25 PM
Canada, MB, Steinbach
Joined Jul 2011
110 Posts
I've heard that you can prolong the life of these motors somewhat by oiling them regular with Trintiy epic Turbo drops through the 2 holes in the front of motor from when they are new. One drop per hole.(this is addressed somewhere on this website)Haven't tried this myself yet but intend to now as the winter indoor season begins again. Otherwise the stock motors appear to have a poor lifespan and easily damaged.
zamjohn is offline Find More Posts by zamjohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:52 PM
USA, NH, Bow
Joined Jun 2007
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
I had this happen yesterday for the first time after maybe a dozen flights thus far. Flight control surfaces worked but, motor did not. I unplugged and re-plugged the battery and all was well. It flew fine after that.
I was having that problem before. Just had a flight, then went for a 2nd battery, motor wouldn't start. Tried 5 other different batteries and the motor wouldn't start for any of them. What next after unplugging/replugging fails?
bobbutts is offline Find More Posts by bobbutts
Old Oct 11, 2014, 01:03 PM
USA, NH, Bow
Joined Jun 2007
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbutts View Post
I was having that problem before. Just had a flight, then went for a 2nd battery, motor wouldn't start. Tried 5 other different batteries and the motor wouldn't start for any of them. What next after unplugging/replugging fails?
To answer my own question, wait 5 minutes and make a post on rcg, then it will run fine. Was wondering if it's overheating, but it's cool out there (49f) and the motor and brick didn't even feel warm after the last flight.

Also, I think I have a new favorite battery. Microheli 200 seems to have all the power of the e-flight 150 and hyp 160, maybe more, and a bit more run-time.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 02:32 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,764 Posts
You might also try cycling the tx off and on again between batteries and see if that makes any difference.
R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Oct 11, 2014, 09:46 PM
USA, NH, Bow
Joined Jun 2007
389 Posts
Maybe a firmer press when connecting the battery too. Had several flights without issue this evening. Recorded one of them. Long way to go for my piloting, but I've come along well since picking up this plane.

AS3xtra (5 min 1 sec)
Old Oct 12, 2014, 03:50 PM
United States, MA
Joined Feb 2011
145 Posts
Nice looking video with a great backdrop! It looks real good for a stationary camera view, and I was thinking after a few minutes I felt like I was watching fish swimming in an aquarium... very relaxing!
trumpy959 is offline Find More Posts by trumpy959
Old Oct 12, 2014, 03:58 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,654 Posts
Get lower!

BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Oct 15, 2014, 09:38 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
486 Posts
I am getting one of these for the winter. What kind of run times and with what battery do you recommend??? Looks like a nice little airplane. thx
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Old Oct 16, 2014, 07:29 AM
Rune A Sweden
Kingdom of Sweden, Västra Götaland County, Göteborg
Joined Jan 2009
12 Posts
Motor start

I have noticed that you have to give some throttle and then push the prop with your finger to make the motor start.
I have oiled the motorshaft and think it helps.

It´s a nice plane.

But you have to use the original batteries. VEry important to keep the weight to a minimum. Battery capacity very important. 45C in original battery! Use that!

I have about 5 min flight with E-flite battery 150mAh 45C

I like the AS3Xtra.
kyhnau is offline Find More Posts by kyhnau
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:21 PM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyhnau View Post
I have noticed that you have to give some throttle and then push the prop with your finger to make the motor start.
Sounds like a worn or damaged motor if prop and gearbox are not hanging up on something . A good motor does not need hand assist.
Wid is offline Find More Posts by Wid
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:12 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Oct 2011
632 Posts
Quote:
My J-3 Cub went through 5 or 6 motors that wore out like that. My P-51 Mustang and Polecat wore out 8 motors like that.
They are tiny brushed motors with a limited lifespan.

Now I mostly fly UMX airplanes with brushless motors that last forever.
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru
Old Oct 22, 2014, 03:54 AM
Rune A Sweden
Kingdom of Sweden, Västra Götaland County, Göteborg
Joined Jan 2009
12 Posts
Worn out motor

Yes, you are so right!
I tried to oil and solder better white thread to the motor as described earlier in the thread. See #1760 from PESP.
But NO!
Nothing helps. It´s a worn out motor, and I have just used it for about 6 month.
Maybe 50 flights....
Thats not good at all. HORIZON HOBBY needs to use brushless in theire models!!
Otherwise they will loose goodwill.
I bought a new model. But not again due to short lived motors!

Not good at all Horizon Hobby !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid View Post
Sounds like a worn or damaged motor if prop and gearbox are not hanging up on something . A good motor does not need hand assist.
kyhnau is offline Find More Posts by kyhnau
Old Oct 22, 2014, 06:04 AM
Just a whisper in the wind
United States, OH, Chillicothe
Joined Jul 2012
353 Posts
Quote:
Yes, you are so right!
I tried to oil and solder better white thread to the motor as described earlier in the thread. See #1760 from PESP.
But NO!
Nothing helps. It´s a worn out motor, and I have just used it for about 6 month.
Maybe 50 flights....
Thats not good at all. HORIZON HOBBY needs to use brushless in theire models!!
Otherwise they will loose goodwill.
I bought a new model. But not again due to short lived motors!

Not good at all Horizon Hobby !!
Throw a bl Brunner in that plane and you'll be happy. I know I am. All I have to do is replace the main gear and oil the bearings, thatsbthe only maintenance requirements. The gear on the prop shaft last around 60 flights before it wears out then its just a few bucks for 2 New shafts which is cheaper than constantly buying brushed motors.
Birds of Prey is offline Find More Posts by Birds of Prey
Old Oct 22, 2014, 08:03 AM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Oct 2011
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birds of Prey View Post
Throw a bl Brunner in that plane and you'll be happy. I know I am. All I have to do is replace the main gear and oil the bearings, thatsbthe only maintenance requirements. The gear on the prop shaft last around 60 flights before it wears out then its just a few bucks for 2 New shafts which is cheaper than constantly buying brushed motors.
Replace the motor over and over or get a better motor then replace the gear then the motor then the gear again then the motor again?

The Horizon Hobby UMX brushless airplanes use motors that last forever and have no gears to wear out. But they use two-cell batteries.
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru
Old Oct 22, 2014, 09:31 AM
Just a whisper in the wind
United States, OH, Chillicothe
Joined Jul 2012
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru View Post
Replace the motor over and over or get a better motor then replace the gear then the motor then the gear again then the motor again?

The Horizon Hobby UMX brushless airplanes use motors that last forever and have no gears to wear out. But they use two-cell batteries.
What was I saying was to replace the brushed motor with a 1s bl inrunner. Its cheaper to replace the plastic gear than it is to constantly replace the brushed motor.
Birds of Prey is offline Find More Posts by Birds of Prey