HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2013, 08:03 PM
Auntie Gravity left me hangin'
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2007
674 Posts
I actually have 0-INH-70-80-INH-INH-100 with throttle curve expo activated to smooth out the curve. I was just trying to keep things simple with a rough generalization.

No problems, really. I'm just trying to understand whether incorporating idle-up into my current settings will provide any potential advantage for scale-like flying over staying in normal mode all the time, and if so, which idle-up settings represent a good starting point.

Thanks!
Uncle Gravity is online now Find More Posts by Uncle Gravity
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:50 AM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gravity View Post
A bit of background: I've been flying CP (Walkera Super CP and V120D02S V2 with a Devo 10) for around a month, though I have almost a year's worth of micro FP and quad experience. My goal is to become proficient at graceful scale-like sport flying, and I have no interest in 3D. So far, I'm able to fly reasonably precise, slow and consistent figure-eights with very few unplanned landings.

I'm currently running my helis with around 20% positive pitch at mid stick. I tried zero pitch for a while, but the Super CP doesn't want to lift off until I've reached around 3/4 of my throttle stick travel (even with 100% head speed) and I find that awkward from an ergonomic standpoint. Perhaps it's a bad habit, but my quads easily lift off at mid stick, so that feels like the sweet spot for me in terms of throttle and rudder control, but I'm concerned that when/if I switch to idle-up, the sudden drop from 20% pitch to zero at mid stick may be too abrupt.

I've assured that I have good blade tracking and zero mechanical pitch at the zero setting on the TX. I'm running 15% negative pitch in normal mode, which seems adequate to fight the wind and get a general feel for it. I still have a ways to go before I trust my throttle-hold reflexes (since I seldom crash, I don't get much practice) but I know what happens if I panic and zero the throttle stick in idle-up.

Which (finally!) brings me to my question: Is there any advantage in switching to idle-up for my preferred flying style or should I just stick with normal mode and forget about large doses of negative pitch?
-I sport-fly and fly scale exclusively and use idle-up from the moment just before take-off to the moment just after setting down...
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:24 AM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher View Post
hmm...i don't get all this concept of having those governors and constant RPM for normal flying....
i just made my throttle curve go higher slightly with more pitch on the blades, so because the load increases, RPM pretty much stay the same.

Also, who needs a lot of negative pitch...? the heli will very happily lose altitude even at 0 degree pitch....in fact, because of the weight, it will heftily drop like a heavy size object at 0 degrees.....why go for a full negative pitch band...?

I think it's probably because cool guys say you need negative pitch to fight winds in landing....hehe, must be flying inside a twisteryeep, gotta love 'em diddly gyros.
-I fly regularly in 12-18MPH wind with my 450 and do need the negative pitch or I wouldn't be able to fly comfortably...
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:22 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,084 Posts
There are a lot of people who insist if you don't fly 0 degrees center stick it is wrong. Most often they are the 3D advocates who believe if you aren't set up for 3D than you will never learn to fly correctly. To this I say !! -- Some people don't want to have anything to do with 3D - such as me. But a LOT more importantly - by setting 0 degrees center stick you are essentially losing 1/2 of your collective resolution because everything below center stick is negative pitch - and the only thing negative pitch does for a beginner is pancake them into the ground. 2 degrees negative pitch is more than you will ever need for hovering - and hovering is where you learn to fly. As you progress you may want to increase the pitches on both sides if there is a lot of wind - but better to stay grounded when there is that much wind because all you are doing then is bobbing up and down.

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2013, 06:36 PM
Flying a recreational vehicle!
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,895 Posts
yaay !! capt jac !! totally right.
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher