SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:10 AM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
With a motor connected or fully connected, the CC ESC's will find the motor is not there or assume that something is wrong there and not proceed with arming. I'm not sure if you can play with the settings without a motor, i've never tried that.

And there is a third programming option for the CC ECS's too that I didn't even mention. They have a Field Link Portable Programming card card that can be used in the field away from a computer. And it is just and good and quick and easy to use as any of those cards. Does not give you quite as much programming power as the USB Link though.

One of the things I love about the CC USB Link programming was that I can set a specific cutoff voltage as a total voltage value (not a cell voltage) and that let's me use 3S LiPO and 4SA123 packs interchangeably with the same cutoff value. Voltage wise, having one more cell in an A123 pack makes it very similar to a LiPO pack as far as starting voltages.

Jack
I am assuming he just wants to setup the radio for throws, flaps and so on. The BEC will function without the motor.
gquiring is offline Find More Posts by gquiring
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:43 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,140 Posts
OK, that is right of course. I think all ESCs with a BEC are that way probably.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Aug 20, 2013, 09:30 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
I have always used an old receiver battery for powering the receiver while working on control setups on electric powered models. I've never had a model try to bite me on the bench doing it that way
CC's warning beep is a good safety feature.
Pete
In fact a Rx battery can cause a rotation of motor if throttle stick moved ... I know - I've had it happen ... and luckily it was not an APC knife edged prop.

Before someone jumps up and says - Prop OFF for setting up - etc. - are they telling me they ALWAYS remove prop ... NEVER EVER once in a while leave it on ... Second - you would not expect Rx battery to turn the motor ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:58 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,289 Posts
Huhhhhhhh
Not if you pull the ESC throttle lead from the receiver before you connect the receiver battery.
I really have a problem believing that the 4 cell receiver pack could back-feed through the BEC and cause the motor to turn, and if it did, there certainly be very little power. This all assumes that there is no battery connected to the ESC input, which is the whole idea of using a receiver pack in the first place.
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Aug 20, 2013, 02:57 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,577 Posts
Quote:
Huhhhhhhh
Not if you pull the ESC throttle lead from the receiver before you connect the receiver battery.
I really have a problem believing that the 4 cell receiver pack could back-feed through the BEC and cause the motor to turn, and if it did, there certainly be very little power. This all assumes that there is no battery connected to the ESC input, which is the whole idea of using a receiver pack in the first place.
I said it actually happened to me - fact - and I proved it to another guy locally when he said it could not happen.

The turn is more of a flip of the prop ... not a proper run ... but it can happen. I assume that many ESC would block such ... but apparently the no-name Ebay job did not.
And remember that it may be lower volts than motor normally receives - but it would just demand more amps.... making it extremely short lived.

Believe me - it happened.

Nigel
Old Aug 20, 2013, 04:10 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,289 Posts
Nigel,
paklausies! Motors nedarbojas, ja nav pilnvaras uz ESC
Without a battery connected to the ESC and no connection between the receiver and the ESC, there is no possible way the motor can operate when you connect a receiver battery to the receiver and nothing is connected to the ESC/motor

Now, I have had a new glow engine fire up on me whilst holding it in one hand and flipping the prop with the other hand, it may have something to do with the WD-40 I had sprayed in the engine prior to flipping, got my attention
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Last edited by pilotpete2; Aug 20, 2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Pleasing the Mods
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:40 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,577 Posts
Quote:
Nigel,
paklausies! Motors nedarbojas, ja nav pilnvaras uz ESC
Par russki parjaslta ... ni punymya Latviski

Quote:
Without a battery connected to the ESC and no connection between the receiver and the ESC, there is no possible way the motor can operate when you connect a receiver battery to the receiver and nothing is connected to the ESC/motor
Why are you assuming that all connections are not made ? Did I say that ? No.

The incident which I repeated was that ESC was still connected to RX and motor... I connected a separate NiMH Rx battery to Rx ... I assumed wrongly that the Rx battery would hit the BEC part of ESC and being unpowered nothing would happen. In fact the NiMH provided enough to pass back through and spin that motor ... thinking that nothing would happen ... I moved Tx sticks and stupidly moved Throttle as well ... It happened ...

Quote:
Now, I have had a new glow engine fire up on me whilst holding it in one hand and flipping the prop with the other hand, it may have something to do with the WD-40 I had sprayed in the engine prior to flipping, got my attention
Pete
WD40 is a better way to EasyStart a Diesel ... it has less knock than the ether sprays ....

Nigel
Old Aug 24, 2013, 06:33 PM
Joined Sep 2012
208 Posts
What about putting a dab of hot glue on the buzzer to dampen the audio?
Northern Flier is offline Find More Posts by Northern Flier
Old Aug 24, 2013, 07:02 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Flier View Post
What about putting a dab of hot glue on the buzzer to dampen the audio?
The "buzzer" is the windings in the motor. The volume of the sound will vary with the size of the motor, the kV of the motor, and things like that. The ESC is deaf and dumb, it has no idea how loud it is or what it sounds like.

Dabs of hot glue in your ears might help though. At least once it cools off and the screaming stops...

I'd better say I'm joking about that. I'm joking about putting hot glue in your ears!

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Aug 24, 2013, 08:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
208 Posts
Heh, gotcha. Not a piezo electric buzzer.

I have a set of ear-pro by the change table in my house because my little creation also has a loud buzzer. Volume varies with hunger, teething, and patience.

Ear-pro works better than hot glue. FYI.
Northern Flier is offline Find More Posts by Northern Flier