HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:24 PM
Joined Oct 2012
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthenuke View Post
This company is fine to deal with but if you have a problem with anything you may as well forget about anything close to or even resembling customer service. I bought from them once, but never will again. Their advertising and description of some products is false. If you want more info and proof PM me.

-bob
Yeah you are right, but I think these guys have a lot to continue to learn about marketing products with truth. I think they are so intent to capture the market in this growing hobby they missed the fact they are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. And of course how many of us want the hassle of sending something all the way back over there.

There is one area of good marketing skills I think they easily overlook, that is with kit purchases to new hobbyists. Often times kits come with basic parts enclosed, but the hobbyist cant easily find the additional parts to order, i.e. motors, esc's, etc. etc.. HK for example could sell many more parts if they would suggest choices and SKU's for the xtra parts needed for the kit build the new person is putting together. There is plenty of frustration for those trying to match up needs with any given ARF kit. Let alone the amatuer written instructions.
Indianalar is offline Find More Posts by Indianalar
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:06 AM
Just Keeping UP
United States, ID, Moyie Springs
Joined May 2004
1,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPriapism View Post
Looking good Nick. I just might have to take that offer and have you make me some skids for my next micro spider hex from blueskyrc. Damn this hobby! Haha. I just keep adding quads to my fleet.

I finally got the time to throw on some LEDs I got from eBay. Looks pretty cool flying around in the dark
It's an addiction!

Those LED's look cool!

I looked at the micro hex kit. At that size, I could just print the whole frame! It looks like one could attach landing gear to the screws used to assemble it. Send me a dimensioned sketch and I'll see what I can work up. I'll reply with some CAD renderings. Have you looked at the multirotor 3d printed frames on Thingiverse or at Shapeways?

I flew my quad with the ABS springs shown in the photos. The springs filtered out the vibration well, but they didn't survive my 'hard' landings. I've replaced them with some soft foam that I received as packing for some stuff. It works well. No I have to go back and clean up my design for the landing gear and battery plate.

Nick
nfhill is offline Find More Posts by nfhill
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:06 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,773 Posts
It's been awhile, so I thought I'd post a little multirotor Bling photos. This is my GLB quad today.

Almost all of the additional stuff is from my 3D printer: GPS box and standoffs, FC protective cover, Battery mounting plate and vibration isolation system, landing gear, and the case for the HobbyKing wing camera, and the under-development prop protection rings. The camera gimal is a 3D print of my design, but it was printed by Shapeways. The prop rings will save me a lot of props. I seem to bump into things a lot. The last 'bump' was a tree limb: 30' fall to the ground, broke a frame arm, lost prop and adapter, $15+.

If you see something there that interests you, I'd love to help by printing one up for you at a good price. (Please help me pay for my printer and excessive extra parts.)

Nick
Last edited by nfhill; Apr 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Even spell check has problems with my fingers, especially if I don't use it.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:58 PM
United States
Joined Nov 2011
174 Posts
Looking good Nick. Finally got my micro hex flying so unfortunately my mwc hasn't gotten too much love these past two weeks.

Thinking of setting up my cheap gimbal for the mwc and see how that works out. Never dabbled with any gimbals before...do I need to add another board or can this be done with my current multiwii board?
FlyingPriapism is offline Find More Posts by FlyingPriapism
Old Apr 18, 2013, 03:32 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,773 Posts
Your existing MWC can drive the gimbal in pitch and roll. Connect the pitch/roll servos to the A0 & A1 pins: the next two next to the motor ESC's. For more than four motors, I have no idea where to connect them.

Nick
Old Apr 18, 2013, 04:36 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,773 Posts
OOPS! double post.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:37 PM
United States
Joined Nov 2011
174 Posts
Thanks Nick, I've never put together a gimbal before. Do I simply plug stuff in and mess with the programming? I guess my question is, what equipment do I need? I have a cheap gimbal that came with my skids and servos I tore off an old heli. Not the best quality but cheap enough to play with i hope. I just mainly want to see the gimbal functioning.

Thanks.

Victor
Old Apr 23, 2013, 04:11 AM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,773 Posts
I wish solving my MultiWii problem would be as easy as getting a camera gimbal to work.

First the commercial: Why settle for an old recycled gimbal? You need a nice super cool 3D printed version of the Super Simple Gimbal! I have one available for sale on Shapeways. If I can get another dozen or so people to buy one, I just might make a little money of it. End of commercial

As I said, the gimbal servo outputs for a quad are A0 & A1. Don't ask which is which because I just switch until it works and I don't know which servo is which anyway. There are two types of gimbals. One, like the SSG, use both servos for both pitch and roll. The other uses one servo for pitch and the other for roll.

To activate the gimbal outputs, CamStab mode must be enabled via the GUI for an aux channel. The channel doesn't actuall need to be active, just set all three options (l,m,h) to make it always on. Or enable it just like any other aux selected flight mode.

Then in config.h, the CamStab defines must be set according to gimbal type and some gain & direction facters set. Here are my settings.

/*********************** Cam Stabilisation ***********************/
/* The following lines apply only for a pitch/roll tilt stabilization system. Uncomment the first or second line to activate it */
#define SERVO_MIX_TILT
//#define SERVO_TILT
#define TILT_PITCH_MIN 1020 //servo travel min, don't set it below 1020
#define TILT_PITCH_MAX 2000 //servo travel max, max value=2000
#define TILT_PITCH_MIDDLE 1500 //servo neutral value
#define TILT_PITCH_PROP 25 //servo proportional (tied to angle) ; can be negative to invert movement
#define TILT_PITCH_AUX_CH AUX3 //AUX channel to overwrite CAM pitch (AUX1-AUX4), comment to disable manual input and free the AUX channel
#define TILT_ROLL_MIN 1020
#define TILT_ROLL_MAX 2000
#define TILT_ROLL_MIDDLE 1500
#define TILT_ROLL_PROP -30
#define TILT_ROLL_AUX_CH AUX4 //AUX channel to overwrite CAM Roll (AUX1-AUX4), comment to disable manual input and free the AUX channel

The TILT_PITCH_PROP and TILT_ROLL_PROP values set the servo direction and travel/degrees of pitch/roll of the FC. You will determine these values by trial and error. When the gimbal correctly moves the exact angle opposite the FC, you got them right.

If you want to adjust the rate at which the FC updates the servos, here is where you do that. I have mine set to 300hz for my digital servos.

/*********************** Servo Refreshrates ***********************/
/* Default 50Hz Servo refresh rate*/
//#define SERVO_RFR_50HZ

/* up to 160Hz servo refreshrate .. works with the most analog servos*/
//#define SERVO_RFR_160HZ

/* up to 300Hz refreshrate it is as fast as possible (100-300Hz depending on the cound of used servos and the servos state).
for use with digital servos
dont use it with analog servos! thay may get damage. (some will work but be careful) */
#define SERVO_RFR_300HZ

That should get you started. Ask more questions as needed.

Nick
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:34 PM
United States
Joined Nov 2011
174 Posts
Thanks again Nick. I'll try your instructions this weekend. I actually did all that but on multiwii 2.2 and couldn't even get the quad to fly right. Ended up busting a prop. Reflashed and went back to 2.1 so I'm starting over on my settings (yes i'm an idiot for not writing them down). Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend to get everything setup.

Victor
Old Apr 26, 2013, 01:03 AM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,773 Posts
I'm surprised you are having problems with 2.2. It works great for me, even with the default PID's. Good luck with it.

Nick
Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:28 PM
United States
Joined Nov 2011
174 Posts
It's probably coming down to drivers and my windows PC. I used another computer to load 2.2. After getting frustrated I just went back to my laptop and loaded the "stable" 2.1 I saved. Just forgot to save my GUI settings so have to retune but should work out just fine.

Haven't got a chance to sit down and work on the gimbal but hopefully this weekend. I'm interesting in retrying with my "stable" multiwii 2.1.

Victor
Old Apr 26, 2013, 04:34 PM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,773 Posts
Just so you know, the altitude hold function works much better in 2.2 than in 2.1.

Nick
Old May 07, 2013, 11:52 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Feb 2013
90 Posts
Please help! GLB f450. New to quads, no idea. (2 min 59 sec)

Figured it was easier to post a video describing my n00b issues. Hope someone can help. Thanks!
Buzzbombkirk is offline Find More Posts by Buzzbombkirk
Old May 08, 2013, 01:21 AM
Just Keeping UP
Joined May 2004
1,773 Posts
Everone has to start somewhere.

The aluminum motor mount parts are standard with the motors, but are not used. You will use screws from the hardware pack for that. You may rout the motor wires as you like. I pass mine down through the arm inboard from the motor.

I've uploaded a pdf file with this post that you can use to answer some of your questions. It's unfortunate that the board has no printing, but this file will show the pin labels. Just look carefully at the photos.

I wish mine had come with extras.

The GPS will connect to the Crius NAV board, the NAV board connects to the FC's I2C port. This port has five pins, but use only the four on the left side. DO NOT connect to the 5v pin!

You will need to read up on MultiWii. This FC is a clone of the Crius SE.

The ESC's are likely connected correctly, but check to reassure yourself.

Ask more questions for more answers, but research a bit to make better questions.

Nick
Old May 08, 2013, 06:41 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Feb 2013
90 Posts
Thank you! This is beyond awesome.
Buzzbombkirk is offline Find More Posts by Buzzbombkirk