HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by TRWolf, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:38 AM
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2012
32 Posts
Discussion
DH Mosquito FBVI, 1/5 scale, Brian Taylor (blow up of 71")

I completed this plane in November 2011, after approximately two years of construction. Construction is balsa and plywood, closely following Brian Taylor's approach to construction. However, I redesigned the wing to be a two piece wing that plugs into the side of the fuselage (required fuselage redesign too) using a 1 1/2 inch OD carbon fiber joiner. The nacelles are fiberglass, using the lost-foam technique for fabrication. I pulled my own canopy, and built the scale retractable landing gear from scratch. Cockpit instruments are from InZpan and IFlyTailies. The pilot and navigator/radio operator are from Best Pilots. Finish is 3/4 oz fiberglass cloth, Warbird Colors, followed by flat clear epoxy from Klass Kote.

The plane first flew November 30, 2011 and it flies extremely well. Ground handling is excellent as well: Tracks straight down the runway for both take-off and landing. It is very easy to do really spectacular landings with fully deployed flaps (about 40 degrees) and power carried through the approach until short final. I placed 6th in Expert at this year's Top Gun, and first place at the NW Scale Championships. Here is a link to a YouTube video documenting the latter part of the build and the first flight:

Tom Wolf's 1/5 Scale Mosquito (18 min 28 sec)

I've attached a few photos as well; some showing the cockpit, scratch-built retractable landing gear, and the engine installation./

11/3/2012 Update: Here is a link to a YouTube video clip from one of my flights at Top Gun 2012:
Top Gun 2012 Mosquito Flight.mp4 (4 min 17 sec)

4/8/2013 Update: I took this airplane to Gunsmoke 2013 Scalemasters Qualifier in Mesa Arizona and captured first place in Expert and the award for the high average flight score. The plane flew flawlessly again at this meet. To date the plane now has 26 flights on it.

11/1/2013 Update: I was fortunate enough to capture first place and Expert and Grand Champion at this year's U.S. Scale Masters Championships held at the Woodland-Davis Aeromodelers flying field in Davis, California. As has been the case lately, the airplane performed without problems. It now has a total of 44 flights on it, and seems to be really dialed in. Here is a link to some event coverage: http://www.modelaviation.com/2013uss...rschampionship
TRWolf is offline Find More Posts by TRWolf
Last edited by TRWolf; Nov 11, 2013 at 11:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:12 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,428 Posts
Magnificent!!!

Your efforts were well rewarded. Great job!

Odd

PS: Love the super lifelike pilots too
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Jun 2012
32 Posts
Odd:

Thanks for the kind comments. The pilots were from Best Pilots. Really quality stuff.

http://bestpilots.typepad.com/my_web...ot-figure.html

Tom
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:21 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,428 Posts
Thanks for the link. I see there are some other handy hints on the website too!
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:00 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,075 Posts
Tom,
This model blew me away in March at our Gunsmoke Qualifier. Extremely well done and a beautiful job on a very complex model. As good as it gets...

Take good care;
John and Martha Cole
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Jun 2012
32 Posts
John:

Thanks for the kind comments. Coming from of modeler of your stature means a lot.

See you at Gunsmoke 2013, if not before.

Regards,
Tom
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
Great shots Tom.
Great blog for RC enthusiasts.
John
John Fodor is offline Find More Posts by John Fodor
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:39 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,470 Posts
TR Wolf ....Tom Great build this is the first time I've been over here to see what you
have built, I hope mine come out half as nice as this I still have quite a bit to go yet thanks for showing us your Skills and for visiting my build feel free to join in on my thread any time I would welcome any questions or comments!

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Jun 2012
32 Posts
Thanks Bruce! I've been following your Mosquito build thread since June, and I am quite amazed at yiour work and how much you get done, and you STILL have time to post a ton of stuff! Well done.

Regards,
Tom