SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:36 PM
To build or fly today?
United States, AL, Gulf Shores
Joined Feb 2008
605 Posts
Question
Value Hobby - do you have 1st person experience with their balsa planes?

I've used Value Hobby for the basics (servos, batteries, props etc) and have been very pleased with their shipping rates and product quality.

At the moment, I'm tire kicking and really like their Mini Sportster. Has anyone else had experience with this bird or the trainer?

Main thing I'm looking for in particular is battery access. Is there a removable hatch (magnets or latch) ? You'd be surprised at how some of the cheapies are constructed and require wing removal for such access.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the link:
http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/electric-mini-sportster-arf.html
Doubledog is offline Find More Posts by Doubledog
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:19 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,509 Posts
I bought the 49" Yak last year and it's pretty decent. I think it's either a re-branded Cermark plane or a clone. The firewall needed to be strengthened and I had to make a longer battery tray to get the CG correct. Other than that it flies well. That's the only plane I've bought from Value Hobby. I have bought servos, motors, batteries, etc from them before and didn't have any problems.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:42 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
I bought two. The Stik was awful. Still in my closet. The Yak is pretty good. I agree with Road Rascal. Yes it is the same plane sold by Cermark, Hobby King and others. That's the extent of my experience.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:41 AM
To build or fly today?
Joined Feb 2008
605 Posts
Thanks Gents. I emailed them last night after posting and eagerly looking forward to their response.

Road, any info on the battery access? Thats a good looking plane as well that could be considered.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:52 PM
The ground is approaching fast
Lewisville, TX
Joined Feb 2009
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmw View Post
I bought two. The Stik was awful. Still in my closet. The Yak is pretty good. I agree with Road Rascal. Yes it is the same plane sold by Cermark, Hobby King and others. That's the extent of my experience.
What size stik was it?
kaging is offline Find More Posts by kaging
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:18 PM
To build or fly today?
Joined Feb 2008
605 Posts
Just got a message back from VH. They said the battery is accessable through a hatch.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:47 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
If you have a spare 450 motor/ESC, I bet that would make this thing FLY! Go for it, it is cheap as can be and if you have servos/motor/ESC laying around, why give it another thought.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:07 AM
To build or fly today?
Joined Feb 2008
605 Posts
Might do that Don. I'm a hoarder of sorts & have plenty of extra gear. Will let you know how it goes this summer.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:36 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaging View Post
What size stik was it?
40" or so.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:36 AM
United States, NJ, Pennsville
Joined Feb 2008
527 Posts
I bought 2 stiks from them, the 39" and the 55". The 39" was fine and flies great. A little tweaking here and there but no problem. The 55", the elevator pushrod tube only went halfway to the elevator pushrod exit point on the fuse and had a big glob of glue all over it. I had to cut the covering off a section of the fuse and install a new pushrod assy, then recovered and now it's fine. Both planes fly great, although the 39" needed about 2 1/2 ozs of lead to get the CG correct. If you have built ARFS before and dont mind a little tweeking here and there, these planes are well worth the price they go for.
stemo99 is offline Find More Posts by stemo99
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:05 PM
Joined Dec 2010
59 Posts
I agree! I have the large 60 size stick from Value Hobby. There was some minor modification and tweaking.... But isn't that part of the fun! Heck, I think I like building them as much as flying them.... A love/hate relationship! The large/ 60 size stick flys great!

Mike
Mike Sloan is offline Find More Posts by Mike Sloan
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:43 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Here is the manual for the sportseter.

http://www.valuehobby.com/manual/Electric-sportster.pdf
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber