HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2003, 06:20 AM
USA, NY, Rochester
Joined Jan 2003
678 Posts
Will A-10 Loop & Roll ??

I am thinking about building an GWS A-10.

Most of the threads indicate that it is "doggy" and not able to do aerobatics?

I am currently flying a stock GWS P-51 and having a blast with it. I like the looks of the A-10 but don't want to be confined to slow, level flight.

Thanks for the info.

Jim
jhamm is online now Find More Posts by jhamm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2003, 09:09 AM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Mar 2003
696 Posts
I don't own this plane but from my research, it is a bit on the slow side (it is a park flyer) and is very temperamental when it comes to weight and thrust. It should be able to loop if you have enough altitude; first put it in a dive to gain airpeed then go level and pull. I don't know if it can take the G's from the meneuver, but hey, why not try?

Rolling shouldn't be a real problem, an E-Starter can perform a decent roll, so your A-10 should be fine. It's strip ailerons should do the job. Don't expect anything axial or resembling what an Extra 300S can do.

Backyard Flyer (the mag.) says the A-10 is mildly aerobatic, being able to perform loops from a shallow dive and rolls without difficulty.

Good Luck

P.S. > I bet you could loop a 747 if you had enough altitude! Hmm, the dihedral might be a bit off afterwards though.
The Max-Q is offline Find More Posts by The Max-Q
Old Jul 15, 2003, 09:14 AM
Go Forward, but Remember
Pawling NY
Joined Oct 2002
944 Posts
I have a GWS A-10, but am waiting to build it until an optimal (cost vs. performance) power plant combination shakes out of the trees. My current choice is Wemotec Microfan and speed 300's, but have not taken the plunge...yet.

The two main complaints about the A-10 power system is that it is underpowered and has a micro-short life span.
reills is offline Find More Posts by reills
Last edited by reills; Jul 15, 2003 at 09:34 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 09:33 AM
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,081 Posts
The A-10 does loop if you build up some speed in a shallow dive. The rolls require elevator and are not very axial. It is definitely underpowered, but people have been playing with power options for months now. There's a monster thread on the A-10 in the Jets forum, where you can get a ton of very useful info. Here's a video of the maiden flight of my A-10 back in April...
http://www.silentflightonline.com/Si...mages/1149.wmv
doc-e is offline Find More Posts by doc-e
Old Jul 15, 2003, 10:40 AM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
Mine loops and rolls fine. If I want to do a nice big loop I'll do a shallow dive first otherwise I just give full throttle a few seconds before the loop. Rolls can require elevator but don't always. They can also come out pretty axial but often become slow for the second or third quarter of the loop which makes the a-10 fall off a bit.
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Jul 15, 2003, 10:47 AM
USA, NY, Rochester
Joined Jan 2003
678 Posts
A-10 Battery

What battery pack are you guys using in your A-10s?
jhamm is online now Find More Posts by jhamm
Old Jul 15, 2003, 12:35 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
Originally a 7 cell 750 NiMH pack that got pretty warm to hot after a flight. Then I went to 2s1P etec 1200's. Also got pretty warm after a flight. Now I'm using 2s2P etec 1200's that stay just barely warm to the touch after a flight.

Corrected 1p to 2p
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Last edited by Mikey-flies; Jul 17, 2003 at 05:04 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 01:05 PM
Joined Aug 2002
91 Posts
well I guess that explains that.....glad to hear a few folks like their GWS A-10
memscoot is offline Find More Posts by memscoot
Old Jul 15, 2003, 01:08 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Your fist battle will be to get this plane to stay in the air! The A10 is VERY underpowered & mine is destined to be converted to a dual 280 Pusher Prop setup as I have given up on the EDF-50 units. This plane does look cool though when it flies, especially that distinctive twin tail look cool.

Maybe you'll have better luck with yours, just remember to strip off any extra weight that uou can (i.e - Landing Gear & Servo).

-Good Luck-

Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Jul 15, 2003, 01:40 PM
Syracuse, New York
Joined Dec 2002
241 Posts
The A-10 has been great for me. It is slighty underpowered and does require some experince to get it up there without stalling. I have twice had launches that have results in a wide, slow stalling arc. If you let it build up speed before climbing, it should be okay. IMO it flies very scale(slow, low and manueverable) and is really a sharp and scale plane in the air.

I can't wait for the EDF-55s for a power upgrade(mine can almost loop from level flight now, but with more power it could with ease)
Jaffa is offline Find More Posts by Jaffa
Old Jul 15, 2003, 02:27 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
I agree with Jaffa on this. Very scale in flight characteristics. I was flying mine last saturday and was loving the close in strafing runs, at least until one of the fans came off...

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Jul 15, 2003, 04:55 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I ran mine in the stock configuration and it was really a dog. I was using pretty heavy batteries 6 600AE cells but you really need those batteries for 9 amps at full throttle (the EDF-50s draw 4.5 amps each!) Any more cells and you will blow the motor quick. Even at this current you'll only get like 6 ounces of thrust. Not to good on a 17 ounce model.

If you are looking for anything close to the GWS P-51 then try the GWS ME-109. It's better than the P-51. Otherwise, be prepared for lots of slow flights. I actually landed hands off with my eyes closed once!
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jul 17, 2003, 09:16 AM
IAD
UAV Driver
New England, USA
Joined Nov 2002
3,742 Posts
Smash McCrash: Sounds like hostile fire... Maybe a Stinger ran up the exhaust duct?

~Luke
IAD is offline Find More Posts by IAD
Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:37 AM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
IAD, Hmmm, could be... I will have to follow up on the after action report and see what the NTSB says.

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:24 AM
Tucson, AZ
Joined May 2002
911 Posts
?

Mikey

Did you mean 2s2p 1200's?
DesertRC is offline Find More Posts by DesertRC