SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 27, 2015, 02:51 PM
Find More Posts by Timbo383
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2013
458 Posts
Build Log
profile 1 sheet DTF canard design, CD12

Well, I finally got my canard design to fly.....yippee. So I'm gonna try to put it together on one sheet of DTF... that's dollar tree foam to those who don't know, you know, you rich guys that can afford depron . I've always like the canard designed planes and wanted to try my hand at one, did a little bit of reading and studying....just a little....So I know I still need to improve myself and this design but here is the flight of the one that finally worked. It has a 50 inch wingspan and took three whole sheets of DTF....almost put me in the poorhouse...unfortunately the longest cf rod I had on hand was too small of diameter and it suffer from wing flex too much, but still it did ok for the maiden.

I have some smallish motors and servos, so I'm going to try to put together one 60% smaller and put it all on one sheet, just to see if I can. Preliminary test show that I can, so here goes.

Ignore the time and date stamp on the video. Lost the instructions for the key cam and too lazy anyways to change it

EDIT: post 21 has the flight videos of the 30 incher...much smoother and very stable.

cd11 (3 min 18 sec)
Timbo383 is offline Find More Posts by Timbo383
Last edited by Timbo383; Jul 02, 2015 at 06:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2015, 02:56 PM
Joined Sep 2013
458 Posts
Ok here is a pic of the 60% design....I don't know how to do pdf's yet, will try to study up on that and do a better job, so I can also put in tabs, and make better alignments and changes when needed.

EDIT: oops, didn't realized it was upside down. It's right side up in the pic on the computer...ooookay more to work on.

UPDATE: makeshift pdf on post 27 (not tested yet) and cg is 9 1/2 inches from elevator LE

ANOTHER UPDATE: Another good rc enthusiasts, Petrie, is updating my plans into a much better format. And I'll post them here when he is done.
Last edited by Timbo383; Jul 16, 2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 03:46 PM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,731 Posts
Nice flyer! Canard and forward sweep! Are you using elevons/elevator or aileron/elevator?
with all that extra space on the sheet, you should be able to get a full fuse version!
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
Old Jun 27, 2015, 04:07 PM
Joined Sep 2013
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Nice flyer! Canard and forward sweep! Are you using elevons/elevator or aileron/elevator?
with all that extra space on the sheet, you should be able to get a full fuse version!
Thankyou, using aileron/elevator/rudder. Gonna try different things next time like elevons only and elevons mixed with elevator. Just to see what it does. I was happy that it flew and was able to take it back home in one piece....the previous attempts at this design did not do too well and I quit while I was ahead.

And yes a full fuse will be in the design later to hide the electrics when I think of something. I was also thinking of boxing in the forward frame also for more structural strength. But for now I'm trying to keep it a quick and simple build.

BTW any and all comments and suggestions are very appreciated.

Just thought of something. If I remember right, you like to challenge yourself on using up all space and fitting everything on one sheet, mister springer
Last edited by Timbo383; Jun 27, 2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 04:22 PM
Find More Posts by foamdave
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
2,179 Posts
Timbo383:

Good design and flyer. Thanks for sharing.

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Jun 27, 2015, 04:49 PM
Joined Sep 2013
458 Posts
Got started on the smaller one sheet 60% size, just using the measurements and a ruler it cut out real quick. Making sure I don't have as much flex this time, I'm using more and stronger, for the size of the plane, cf rods. Maybe overkill, but what the hey....

side by side comparisons: I extended the center fuse and wing sweeps up about 7-8% to make the cg a little easier without adding weight to the front as I had to the larger version. Hopefully that will work.

EDIT: I've got to figure out why my pics are not facing in the way I want them to.
Last edited by Timbo383; Jun 27, 2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 05:27 PM
Joined Sep 2013
458 Posts
ailerons, rudder and elevator beveled and tape method attached. I know the plans showed for three separated pieces for the kfm, but I cheated and cut a full piece out of an extra sheet for more strength. Okay, sue me from deviating from the plans, highly doubt it will be the only time I do this on this build.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by Decroxx
Free Sarcasm!
United States, OH, Worthington
Joined Nov 2014
96 Posts
Maybe a kfm airfoil would help reduce the flex.
Decroxx is offline Find More Posts by Decroxx
Old Jun 27, 2015, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,731 Posts
"Just thought of something. If I remember right, you like to challenge yourself on using up all space and fitting everything on one sheet, mister springer"

Busted!

I missed the rudder! full house, eh? I would guess an elevon or elevon/elevator would work better with the smaller size (fewer servos/weight)

Gonna be a good-un I think!
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:26 AM
Joined Sep 2013
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decroxx View Post
Maybe a kfm airfoil would help reduce the flex.
Thank you for that input but in the video of the cd11, it does have a kfm1, but since it was only one layer of 50" wing DTF with a very thin cf rod, it still flexed. But it is a lot better than the flight before without the kfm strip, it flapped like a bird. I was laughing so hard I had to stop flying....which was a good thing, don't think it would had lasted much longer without snapping the rod.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:32 AM
Joined Sep 2013
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
"Just thought of something. If I remember right, you like to challenge yourself on using up all space and fitting everything on one sheet, mister springer"

Busted!

I missed the rudder! full house, eh? I would guess an elevon or elevon/elevator would work better with the smaller size (fewer servos/weight)

Gonna be a good-un I think!
yeah, I put in the rudder in the larger one, thinking it would help the turns, which it did. Probably won't need it in the smaller one, but already committed myself to it, so it will stay in this build. Next one most likely won't have it.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:44 AM
Joined Sep 2013
458 Posts
Okay got some more done, pretty quick build since Iv'e done this a few times already. I'm also using thin strips of hot glue, so that's also speeding up the build....probably gonna hate that later on the weight.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:27 AM
Joined Sep 2013
458 Posts
ok, going together real good, pleased with the fit of everything so far.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 05:15 PM
Joined Sep 2013
458 Posts
Moving along, should really be using gg or ca instead of hot glue, but I'm too eager to get this done. Suppose to be clear and relatively light winds this whole week. This is my first really potentially good flying design I've been able to do, and I can't wait to try it. Anyways here are some more pics....getting close to finishing it.