New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by mkpatrick
mkpatrick
Joined Mar 2011
2,200 Posts
The closest thing I come to hovering the CZC is when I try to do scale STOL take offs as though there is an obstruction at the end of the runway. (Don't have the guts to do it with a real obstruction)
I go half throttle, get the tail up and then almost immediately, I go full throttle and pretty much full up elevator and climb almost straight up.
Then at about 20 feet I level off abruptly and throttle back. Its a cool maneuver and I've seen cubs do that at airshows.
So not hovering but for an instant, its going vertical.
mkpatrick is online now Find More Posts by mkpatrick
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,303 Posts
My comment is aimed at those that begrudge this Cub saying it needs more power etc. It has more than enough power in stock form to be what it is...a Cub.
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by Sideslip
United States, MI, Parchment
Joined May 2004
2,001 Posts
I must respectfully dissagree

I have a CZC with all kinds of power (Power 60 + Talon 90) and it's a hoot to fly, scale and all out nutz. Hey guys it's a model. People do all kinds of crazy stuff with RC equipment. As long as it's done safely, I see no reason to put someone down because they want to do torque rolls or hover a CZC. Horizon didn't build this cub to fly purely scale, otherwise the throws on the controls would have been recommended at 100% rather than the 125% that we find in the manual.

I don't have a problem with guys flying them as they expect a true Carbon Cub to fly, that's fun too. But I fly mine both ways and it's a just whole lot of fun at high power settings and maximum throws, yes even on floats.

As far as torque rolls, with the OEM motor and ESC it's not really practical but it will torque roll. I just wouldn't do it too low, because the power is not there for a safe pullout if you have a problem.

For a demonstration of what the stock CZC will do, here are a couple of links to Youtube videos that demonstrate it's capabilities.

Fly 'em the way you want, it's all good fun. Both of these pilots are experienced 3D pilots. No I can't fly like that.

CZ Cub (2 min 17 sec)

E-Flite Carbon Z Cub Maiden Day (4 min 40 sec)
Sideslip is offline Find More Posts by Sideslip
Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by jrtubb
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,874 Posts
I think the point of the post above is that in stock config it is a great flyier, some wantmore, but it doesn't need it to fly great.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
Last edited by jrtubb; Today at 05:21 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM
FM
Find More Posts by FM
FM
No Static
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2012
742 Posts
I have had my cub both ways..stock is fantastic. Power 60 and a talon makes it a split personality. Same cub....now there is simply another level. No it does not 3d like a 3dhs or extreme flight. Yes it does 3d like a cub. Most versatile plane in my hangar.
FM is online now Find More Posts by FM
Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM
Find More Posts by circletree
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Jan 2007
508 Posts
I don't care what YOU do with your cub.....I like to fly mine more scale-like.
circletree is offline Find More Posts by circletree
Old Today, 07:48 AM
Find More Posts by Justapoke
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
1,003 Posts
I fly it like a jet.

Sometimes I use it as a glider..
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Today, 09:01 AM
FM
Find More Posts by FM
FM
No Static
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2012
742 Posts
How many airframes can you name that make a circle flier, glider pilot, 3dpilot, scale flier, spot lander, vertical unlimited, slow flier, fpver, float flier, limbo champion all celebrate how great this airframe is?

I have a few planes. ...this one can do it all! I like planes that fly and I like people who fly.
FM is online now Find More Posts by FM
Old Today, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by Charlie P (NY)
Gravity is weak but persistant
United States, NY, Port Crane
Joined Aug 2009
571 Posts
I agree with FM. This is one of those happy designs that can be flown and enjoyed many ways right out of the box. Whether you feel like tearing up the sky or just doing lazy one-wheel touch-and-goes and relaxing slow maneuvers. What you call a "wide envelope".

Maybe not pylon racing but you could probably come up with a 13 x 12 prop that even do that until you tore the wings off.
Charlie P (NY) is online now Find More Posts by Charlie P (NY)