SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 07, 2004, 01:28 AM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,880 Posts
RedBack Pro-build pics

I have been working on this in the evenings for about a week now. I just wanted to share some pics I have taken.

I have the 4-servo wing started, and need to wait on some more servo's before I can join the wing halves, I need to stock up on Epoxy, micro baloons etc... before I can go too much further.
Cody WIlson is offline Find More Posts by Cody WIlson
Last edited by Cody WIlson; Nov 07, 2004 at 01:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2004, 01:38 AM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,880 Posts
I got the fuse straightened with som patience, a heat gun, and a lazy eye ... Took me a while. I discovered that it is necessary to put it down and take a look at it after a break. Trying to wiggle everything around at once is not a good idea! It is definitely looking pretty good right now. Ready to join the wings anf the V-tail to the fuse. All surfacesare cut out and beveled to the hinge. Took me a while to sand that ply down! This things wing is going to be a brick house. Should be super tough when it's covered. This is going to be my crunchy DS trainer!
Old Nov 07, 2004, 01:43 AM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
Nice lookin plane Cody. Do you suppose its gonna behave and stay straight, or possibly revert to the unwanted bend?

Keep postin on this, its schweeeeeeeeet!!

Kevin
Aerobat152A is offline Find More Posts by Aerobat152A
Old Nov 07, 2004, 01:48 AM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
is it jsut me or are those wings not right?

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Nov 07, 2004, 01:51 AM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,880 Posts
JOe-
The wing on the right is for the RB, the other wing is for a falco- side by-side comparison.

Here is the tail group- taped on for for a test fit. The incidence looks great just sitting in the saddle, but I still need to check it with an incidence meter to make sure everythings straight.

V-tails are sexy! I'm going to flare this on into the fuse with glass/ bondo for fillets so it is smooth and strong.
Last edited by Cody WIlson; Nov 07, 2004 at 08:46 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2004, 03:01 AM
Rialto, CA
Joined Jun 2002
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody WIlson
All surfacesare cut out and beveled to the hinge. Took me a while to sand that ply down!
No kidding, I'm working on my Redback Pro also, and that ply sure does make sanding the hinge bevels a pain in the ......

Are there any economic hobby tools that can help with creating good beveled edges? If not, I'm thinking about getting that routing table attachment that Dremel makes. I think I should be able to do some nice bevels, definitely better than the eyeballed ones I do now.

Jack
ke6guj is offline Find More Posts by ke6guj
Old Nov 07, 2004, 03:49 AM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheHill
is it jsut me or are those wings not right?

JOe
Yea right JOe....... its probably jsut you....HA HA, nawww........ the root size lookin different on both wings .....eh? Nawww...its jsut you...LOL.

I dunno....... This Redback Pro maybe incorporates a new process... its called, You have to fix the plane, before you can build the plane, I guess.

Kevin
Aerobat152A is offline Find More Posts by Aerobat152A
Last edited by Aerobat152A; Nov 07, 2004 at 03:52 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2004, 04:10 AM
santa barbara
Joined Oct 2004
403 Posts
sweet! thanks for posting the build!!
hope to get one...once i'm able to
keep my weasle in the air

...hmmm...that didn't sound completly right
sunil is offline Find More Posts by sunil
Old Nov 07, 2004, 05:18 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
have you soldered up the wiring harness yet bud???
tomi is offline Find More Posts by tomi
Old Nov 07, 2004, 09:32 PM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,880 Posts
Nope... Still waiting to get my footsies wet on that one. I'm waiting on the flight pack from Stemmy- they should be here Monday. The instructions say to wire everything in the wing up before joining it.

I am totally stoked about having crow on this bird. I should be able to fly it anywhere there is enough lift to keep it up! Like on the precipice (sp?) of a pointy ridge 1000' AGL.. Heheh.. maybie slow it down enough to hand catch ... This thing is going to be a slead. The tail surfaces are pretty heavy- should take some serious lead in the nose to balance, that plus 5 MG servo's and an ultracoated ply wing- should be a screamer!

It is a bit premature on my part- only have about 30 min of total DS time, but I want to push this one to its limit. See how she holds up at 180!!! Lol- J/k... I would be stoked if I got it above 100. We'll see. Hopefully I don't stuff it into a rock at 80...

Since I happened my way into a Falco I am going to make that one my light lift floater, my dainty little hangar queen, and this one my big lift DS tank! OMG- My living room is totally trashed- airplane parts for 2 kits in various stages of completion, and left overs from 2 complete recovers... Oh well, after the RB is done I am going to take a short sobatical from building. I need a garage!!!

Hasta cabron

Cody
Old Nov 08, 2004, 12:27 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,526 Posts
the RB Pro should do triple digits early. The EPP version has seen just over 100mph. Just pay attension to the wing joiner area. Use resin and some good glass. I needto start on mine, also need to get my pictures from SloperJohn.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Nov 08, 2004, 12:38 AM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
I dont' understand. You usually join the wing halves with glass first and then drill a hole in the center on the bottom of the wing for the wires to exit. How do you join the wings on the RB?
Old Nov 08, 2004, 12:42 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,361 Posts
so the fuse was a red banana hmmm seem strange for a glass ship or am I being naive?
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Nov 08, 2004, 03:01 PM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,880 Posts
I think it got cooked in the shipping container on the way over. The fuse was a banana. There were some other issues that needed to be addressed, but I think I have them all "straightened out" This was after all Dezza's first foray that I know of into mfg of composite ships. From what I understand he is working on molds for the wings to improve airfoil fidelity.

I am confident it will be a good flyer- I will just have to get it built and see how she behaves in the air!

According to the instructions you are supposed to get ther servo's and wiring done, then join the wings... I'm not sure how necessary this really is... I was thinking of PU'ing the halves together with the carbon wing joiner, sanding it down, then going over it with epoxy glass, and then routing the wires like Tomi says..

This is a pic of the fuse pre- straightening. It wasn't that hard really- any warps were dealt with using a heat gun and "stretching" the short side. One of the wings was a little out of whack, but after following Stegre's advice and using an Iron on Steam and twisting it straighened right up! All in all it is looking more like a plane every day!
Old Nov 08, 2004, 04:19 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
I think you should join the wing halves first, then run the wiring. if you do the wiring first, the wires will be in the way which you'll have to mess with when glassing the wings together. What I did, is mark the location of the servo holes on top of the wing root. Then I run some sort of line like thread or something. After glassing it, drill the hole where the wire should exit and use that line you put in there to fish your servo wires from the servo pockets.. Then solder as usual.

-Tomi