HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2014, 07:13 AM
Joined Nov 2013
94 Posts
Discussion
Where to buy EPP foam for wing cutting UK

Where are you people buying your EPP foam from? (UK)

Or any foam for self build.

Foam wing cores used to be cut from builders insulation blocks; however I presume that was not EPP?
TrueBuld is offline Find More Posts by TrueBuld
Last edited by TrueBuld; Sep 27, 2014 at 10:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2014, 02:48 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,898 Posts
B&Q for 2" blocks of foam ... either EPS ..that's the white builders insulation . expanded polystyrene, or the heavier XPS , extruded polystyrene, a lot denser and stronger.. they also sell the jablite polystyrene in various thicknesses.. Ive been using 1" thick jablite..

Other builders merchants will have blue or yellow foam types which are more expensive polystyrenes...

EPP is very difficult to find .. robotbirds has some sliced sheets of different thicknesses but that's expensive..

The standard polystyrenes are commonly used for cutting, then they get a wood veneer ... or get brown paper covered...

for a quick build check out the RM1 section... using polystyrene foam sliced with a knife to shape.. then covered.. they go surprisingly well ..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2141726 used first on slope gliders they also go very well powered up
I use 1" slabs of B&Q jablite polystyrene for my builds, and a breadknife to slice them...lol
Sounds crude but just look at the glide on this one... and there is no reason not to use the same wing section on conventional planes with a fuz and rudder.. the wing builds are so quick and easy
RM1 weasel shape.. powered up maiden (8 min 6 sec)
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Sep 28, 2014 at 03:00 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 04:57 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,798 Posts
Sadly EPP in small volumes is essentially unobtainium in the UK - it's one of the reasons kit manufacturers like Stan Yeo of Phoenix Models has gone back to balsa versions of his slope models, as EPP was no longer economic.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Sep 28, 2014, 02:31 PM
Damn this gets addictive.
United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2011
529 Posts
Not sure what size you need but Robotbirds have a small selection.
http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=7353

Thickest appears to be 20mm but you could laminate if you need thicker.

tCF
Thechittyfather is offline Find More Posts by Thechittyfather
Old Sep 28, 2014, 02:38 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,263 Posts
Why not consider Depron foam instead. It can be worked similar to balsa, it's light, strong, and available.

The bottom two planes in my 'avatar' are in Depron foam.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 28, 2014, 02:46 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,263 Posts
Depron foam.

I should add that instead of cutting a wing, you can build a wing, works out lighter.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray