SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 03, 2014, 03:59 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2004
2,780 Posts
One thing I can tell from the pictures is that the bearing surfaces have been printed in such a way that they are the first layer, the one directly in contact with the printing bed. This means that their surface finish, as opposed to that of the other parts of the print, is the same as the finish of the printing bed surface, which is generally a glass pane. There's a lot of smart thinking in this device.
Brandano is online now Find More Posts by Brandano
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2014, 06:14 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandano View Post
One thing I can tell from the pictures is that the bearing surfaces have been printed in such a way that they are the first layer, the one directly in contact with the printing bed. This means that their surface finish, as opposed to that of the other parts of the print, is the same as the finish of the printing bed surface, which is generally a glass pane. There's a lot of smart thinking in this device.
I agree. I'm already looking at 3d printers as a starting point to this acknowledging to get anywhere on this project is starting from the ground up.
MarkG21 is offline Find More Posts by MarkG21
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2014, 09:20 AM
Registered User
Ran D. St. Clair's Avatar
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Dec 2006
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG21 View Post
I agree. I'm already looking at 3d printers as a starting point to this acknowledging to get anywhere on this project is starting from the ground up.
Having a 3D printer is not really necessary though it might be convenient. The real gateway skill is 3D CAD capability. There are outfits who will print your design and with your permission will even print it for others and pay you a comission. Although something relatively big and complicated like this might cost $400, it is probably still cheaper than buying the printer unless you are going to be doing this kind of thing constantly or commercially.

For those of us who don't have mad 3D design skills, printing your parts and paying you a commission really expands our options. Of course we would need to know that what we are buying will ultimately work, and that is where a forum like this is invaluable.
Ran D. St. Clair is offline Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2014, 10:52 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2004
2,780 Posts
If your first print came out the way you intended it, then it would definitely be cheaper to get a 3rd party to print it for you. Unfortunately that's not my experience so far
Brandano is online now Find More Posts by Brandano
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 03, 2014, 06:50 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2014
4 Posts
I have done further initial testing with my 3" swivel duct, so far results are amazing, a sail winch moves it very easily and does not load (can't hear it over working or anything) I did some mods to help, but I am wondering, if you only have it turn 180 at one joint, when in full forward thrust the duct will look like an 'S' , how much thrust loss will their be?
MarkG21 is offline Find More Posts by MarkG21
Last edited by MarkG21; Sep 03, 2014 at 07:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2014, 04:01 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG21 View Post
I have done further initial testing with my 3" swivel duct, so far results are amazing, a sail winch moves it very easily and does not load (can't hear it over working or anything) I did some mods to help, but I am wondering, if you only have it turn 180 at one joint, when in full forward thrust the duct will look like an 'S' , how much thrust loss will their be?
Hi iam still waiting for my new motors. i tested the thrust forwards and we didn't loose much. our goal is not to fly fast...(yet)...but doing an nice transitions. first of all guys i did soms big changes..i changed the lift motor from an 70mm to an 90 mm duct and both edf's are from schubeler. i need some longer hovertime. now it is ownly 2 minutes. the front 70mm is become weaker because the jet is a bit heavyer with the wing on it and i also need to glass this plane. so the 70mm from wemotec is not an option anymore it becomes hot and use alot from the lipo's 83amps that's wy we have choosen for 2x90mm motors..
Joel_Vlashof is offline Find More Posts by Joel_Vlashof
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2014, 04:11 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
123 Posts
the new fly weigt of the JEPE F22 will be about 3.2kg now it is 2,8kg. The front 90mm gives 2.6kg @70Amps but i need frontlift about 1.8kg thrust and the back 90 mm is an High static thrust EDF also 6S. and that gives me 3.3kg static thurst. 0.6kg is for the rollnozzles this setup gives me more flight time and enough power to do the transition.
F35 Vtol RC (0 min 12 sec)
Joel_Vlashof is offline Find More Posts by Joel_Vlashof
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2014, 04:11 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
123 Posts
You can see in this video that the 70mm have soms trouble to lifting up the jet.
Joel_Vlashof is offline Find More Posts by Joel_Vlashof
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2014
28 Posts
Is there such a thing as counter rotating fans in an EDF setup. The reason I ask is that you could conceivably double the thrust output with two six bladed fans in counter rotation on a single motor.....But like everything in your project weight reduction is the key to vertical lift and translational flight....
Bad Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Bad Pilot
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools