SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 18, 2013, 07:38 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracernz View Post
The birdcage(spinny thing) ones are pretty nasty. Outside of RC I've only seen that type of connector used for very low current stuff and even then it's rare.
They are fine for motor connections. They only have issues if connected and disconnected frequently (the spring loses its spring and contact forces drop). For occasional disconnection they work fine, not much good for batteries though.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2013, 03:41 AM
Joined Aug 2009
76 Posts
How about these? Castle Creations 6.5mm 200Amp High Current Bullet Connectors
I bough some and they feel really sturdy and reliable.

But will they suffer from bad contact when connected and disconnected frequently over the years?
Anyone here with experience on these?
Honk is offline Find More Posts by Honk
Last edited by Honk; Sep 19, 2013 at 04:33 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:09 PM
St. Louis
Joined Jun 2006
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
But it is not as painful as trying to solder when you have not gotten the enamel (and much more modern and tougher coatings) off. I have not found any better way to do it than to scrape it off, polish it with emery clothe, and then flux it and tin it to see if you are getting perfect, 100% coverage and adhesion on tinning.

Jack
The fastest way to do it is to get an aspirin tablet (not a gel tablet).

Place the tablet on the bench, put the wire with the enamel on the tablet and press the iron down on the wire. Lots of smoke will be generated, so be careful.

Your wire is now 100% enamel free and ready for solder.

This works incredibly well on very fine wires that would be damaged by scraping.

godfrey is offline Find More Posts by godfrey
Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:13 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,957 Posts
I tried that and it did not work at all. And it was real aspirin. I've also tried dissolving it with battery acid and using various paint removers too. I am a scraper for life I guess.

When you see magnet wire advertised as "solderable" that means that there is an industrial or production line process, usually involving other chemicals and machines, that can let you use immersion soldering in an industrial process. It does not mean that the hear from a soldering iron will be enough to remove coatings and give you a clean solder joint.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:41 AM
St. Louis
Joined Jun 2006
195 Posts
Quote:
I tried that and it did not work at all. And it was real aspirin. I've also tried dissolving it with battery acid and using various paint removers too. I am a scraper for life I guess.

Jack
That's strange. I wonder if certain coatings are more resistant or if the overall thickness of the enamel and wire gauge might affect the outcome.
godfrey is offline Find More Posts by godfrey
Old Sep 21, 2013, 02:03 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey View Post
That's strange. I wonder if certain coatings are more resistant or if the overall thickness of the enamel and wire gauge might affect the outcome.
The coatings are the ones described here: http://www.techfixx.com/

Modified polyurethane resin with a polyamide (nylon) overcoat

Base coat: modified polyester, Overcoat: modified amide imide

Modified polyurethane resin with a polyamide (nylon) overcoat

The aspirin might work on something but it does not work on those coatings. That is good wire, maybe that is the difference. If I used the junk wire from Radio Shack maybe the aspirin would work.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:19 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,003 Posts
I tried the aspirin trick too, even on the Radio Shack wire. It didn't work on it either, I just had more gunk to scrape. Little difference than just burning the coating with a lighter or small torch. Either way the wire needed cleaning to tin evenly.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:15 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,513 Posts
Quote:

When you see magnet wire advertised as "solderable" that means that there is an industrial or production line process, usually involving other chemicals and machines, that can let you use immersion soldering in an industrial process. It does not mean that the hear from a soldering iron will be enough to remove coatings and give you a clean solder joint.

Jack
Jack there are coated wires that are often used for RF chokes that are solderable with conventionable irons ,I use that wire on disc drive motors,the one I use is a green colour but I don't know who makes it,I also use it for hooking up LEDS as you can do long runs just winding a turn around each leg the following up with the soldering iron makes things a lot easier.also for depron indoor flyer servo hook ups.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Sep 22, 2013, 09:01 PM
Fenton,MO USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,270 Posts
I wonder if the aspirin you use has a coating on it. I have not found a coating that the heat and aspirin has not taken off for me. Guess it depends on the coating.
Radio shack wire was pretty easy. Stopped using it to build motors because the coating scrapped off to easily.

Blazer
BlazerB52 is offline Find More Posts by BlazerB52
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:38 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,669 Posts
when I was a test tech at General Dynamics we would use a cone wire stripper (had 2 cones spinning in different directions) on super fine wire and not damage it , we also used a paint stripper type paste , was very nasty stuff , if it got on your skin it would burn you .
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:27 AM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Sep 2012
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterB View Post
True for sensorless motors, but always check with manufacturer if motor wires can be shortened. Motor wires are direct extension of windings and can be enameled... and it's a serious pain to remove the enamel
Yea I did that with one motor and then decided not to do that with my others as it was a pain in the butt.
hcker2000 is offline Find More Posts by hcker2000
Old Sep 28, 2013, 09:08 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey View Post
The fastest way to do it is to get an aspirin tablet (not a gel tablet).

Place the tablet on the bench, put the wire with the enamel on the tablet and press the iron down on the wire. Lots of smoke will be generated, so be careful.

Your wire is now 100% enamel free and ready for solder.

This works incredibly well on very fine wires that would be damaged by scraping.

OLD wives' tale.
For over 10 years I've read that nonsense .. It NEVER worked ! for me, on Any wires I tried it on...period.
From Jem Labs primo quality US made to cheap ass congealed duck soup coated Chinese wires.
Where?.. do these stories originate from?
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Sep 28, 2013, 09:17 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,114 Posts
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2