HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,449 Posts
Discussion
How bout a computer controlled boat crossing the Atlantic?

Read this article in WIRED (which might also relate to the computer controlled/wi-fi boat in another thread) http://www.wired.com/design/2012/06/...ross-atlantic/ Here is the link to their site; http://fishpi.org/index.html What I think is funny is that they are mentioning fighting interference problems trying to get the prop to work in their Kort nozzle! If they had just been smart enough to come here they could have found a load of experience!
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:28 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,320 Posts
Well they are on a budget...

The RasberryPi sounds like a neat little unit if you can get one.
But I heard they are seriously backordered.

Research grants get you the wave glider.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-57...ecord-attempt/

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:00 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
........What I think is funny is that they are mentioning fighting interference problems trying to get the prop to work in their Kort nozzle! If they had just been smart enough to come here they could have found a load of experience!
Foo
He could have just mounted a rudder behind the prop like we do. I don't see the need to make the whole nozzle rotate. Not for what he's attempting.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:21 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,585 Posts
Far as I'm concerned they should take all the computers ever built to the middle of the Atlantic and build a very deep reef with them.
420TEE is online now Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:39 PM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,943 Posts
If they had come on to a site where the members know the basics about boats, they might never have started. They have at least started with quality gear, but I feel that their concept of using solar power to gather enough energy in the hours of daylight to power a motor and the other electronic goodies and survive the ocean conditions might need a rethink.
Although the item shown is just a proof of concept, the Wired writer seems to be a regular present day journalist - bone ignorant on technical matters.
Perhaps someone should tell them that in a Kort, its the nozzle that does the steering, not the prop.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Last edited by mfr02; Jun 29, 2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:46 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
The RasberryPi sounds like a neat little unit if you can get one.
But I heard they are seriously backordered.
They're apparently shipping. Two guys I work with got them today.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:47 PM
"Take the Cannollis"
Lake Martin ALABAMA
Joined Feb 2006
881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420TEE View Post
Far as I'm concerned they should take all the computers ever built to the middle of the Atlantic and build a very deep reef with them.
AMEN ! And a pox upon Alexander Graham Bell !
Steve Bad is offline Find More Posts by Steve Bad
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:20 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,653 Posts
The RaspberryPi looks like it could be quite a unit for a number of applications. But as pointed out, for a while at least, getting one will be a problem. Last I looked (when my daughter put in for one) 10K units were made in the initial run but there have been between 75 and 100K or more people who have joined the waiting list for units of their own!

Here's another application of the Rπ: Raspberry Pi IN THE SKY: Wallet-sized PC is disaster drone brain - ARM-powered flying mercy bot to the rescue!

As far as autonomous aquatic drones are concerned I recently saw an article (can't recall where) about a number of wave powered, autonomous vehicles that were released from the West Coast and made it to Hawaii as programmed. Found some info ... they are a remote sensing platform called the "Wave Glider" by Liquid Robotics Whoops... Srry Umi, missed your reference - my bad!

Detailed pdf

Oceans of Robots: Ed Lu at TEDxSF (15 min 36 sec)
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jun 29, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:42 PM
some what irregular
Diamond Bar, California
Joined Feb 2004
1,026 Posts
when I first read this, all I could think of is Victory at Sea where a battleship was in such ruff seas that the bow would bite into a wave and the green water cleared the second turret and shot up toward the bridge
dostacos is offline Find More Posts by dostacos
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:18 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,653 Posts
At least one of the Papa Mau Waveglider 'bots has made it to Austrailian waers.

NBC News / Tech

Liquid Robotics website

Fro Liquid Robotics Website
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member