SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 08, 2012, 11:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Austria View Post
For all intents and purpose, it makes absolutely no difference where your flight controller is mounted on the frame. Provided that your FC is oriented appropriately, mounted flat and is properly indexed with the aircraft's azimuth, it will compensate exactly the same regardless of its location.

You can mount your flight controller on a stick stood off 10 feet to the side of your quad and it will fly fine as long as the stick is rigid and the FC is mounted with the above criteria.

Other than that, I really like the frame. Camera mount being isolated ought to work great. I'd actually suggest mounting the FC on the non isolated portion of the frame. In most cases, adding a mechanical means of vibration filtering to an IMU will actually increase it's control deadband as well as the likelihood for the system to drift. As long as your props are balanced, stock tape mounted directly to the airframe usually works best.
true will work no doubt, its just the time and speed gyros calculate, i drew this up and the only thing i dont like is how the outer gyro does a circle in relation to the cg
traceroute is offline Find More Posts by traceroute
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 12:41 PM
Gainesville, FL
Joined Dec 2005
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceroute View Post
true will work no doubt, its just the time and speed gyros calculate, i drew this up and the only thing i dont like is how the outer gyro does a circle in relation to the cg
Gyros sense angular velocity, not linear. Being mounted close to or far away from the CG has absolutely NO effect whatsoever on what the gyros compensate for.
Al Austria is offline Find More Posts by Al Austria
Old May 08, 2012, 12:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Gyros sense angular velocity, not linear. Being mounted close to or far away from the CG has absolutely NO effect whatsoever on what the gyros compensate for.
yup and i agree, but people have done tests with this same discussion with different results in flying characteristics so my advice for anyone is to try it for yourself yanno what i mean, if thy don't trust theory then all they can do is try it. its what i do.
Old May 08, 2012, 10:41 PM
Gainesville, FL
Joined Dec 2005
365 Posts
Quote:
yup and i agree, but people have done tests with this same discussion with different results in flying characteristics so my advice for anyone is to try it for yourself yanno what i mean, if thy don't trust theory then all they can do is try it. its what i do.
The angular displacement of an assumed rigid body(multi-rotor frame) is EXACTLY THE SAME at the center of its rotation as it is at its extents(ends of frame arms) for any particular axis. Any variances in flight characteristics due to FC placement can only be explained by mechanical differences in how a particular area of the frame is dampened, and at most would only effect system deadband/noise. This is not theory, this is how our flight stabilizers function in reality. Im not trying to blow smoke up anybody's you know what, I base all of this on my experience with flight stabilizing systems in RC helis, airplanes, multi-rotors, not to mention the small unmanned aerial systems I work on for a living.

I am all for testing different setups and seeing how things perform, but I believe having a solid foundation on how these systems actually work will keep one from falling into a false assumption as to why something might not be working as well as they expect it should.
Al Austria is offline Find More Posts by Al Austria
Old May 08, 2012, 11:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
The angular displacement of an assumed rigid body(multi-rotor frame) is EXACTLY THE SAME at the center of its rotation as it is at its extents(ends of frame arms) for any particular axis. Any variances in flight characteristics due to FC placement can only be explained by mechanical differences in how a particular area of the frame is dampened, and at most would only effect system deadband/noise. This is not theory, this is how our flight stabilizers function in reality. Im not trying to blow smoke up anybody's you know what, I base all of this on my experience with flight stabilizing systems in RC helis, airplanes, multi-rotors, not to mention the small unmanned aerial systems I work on for a living.

I am all for testing different setups and seeing how things perform, but I believe having a solid foundation on how these systems actually work will keep one from falling into a false assumption as to why something might not be working as well as they expect it should.

al i think i may have sounded confused, im not arguing with you at all lol
im just explaining that people have done tests and there are some results that would surprise you, not doubting your knowledge or etc.. im just saying in my experience i have gotten some different results on positioning of the flight controls. either way im all for trying anything. im a realist in the end and i usually go with whats proven to work,

happy flying.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:29 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
I finally finished my custom designed RC Vibration Bobbins and they will go on sale at GetFPV very soon -- these are included in the QAV500 kit. Some people tell me I'm crazy (or am lying) when I am saying that I "custom designed" these bobbins and imply that I am just using already available ones... so to make sure everyone can easily recognize them as the custom developed, fpvmanuals "Orange RC Bobbins", I made them... Orange! They have an M3 thread (that's very difficult to find on bobbins that exist out there), have an 8mm long stud which is a good length for typical RC type frame plate thicknesses in the area of 1/16 inch to 3/32 inch (~2.3mm), they use the best material to kill the types of vibrations you'll find on a multi-rotor, they have a very specific and soft durometer, and they're orange. I was not able to take good pictures yet, so here is an early prototype picture. These will be sold in sets of 4 and the price for the set is not yet final. They'll be a bit more expensive than the bobbins you can find on some hardware sites as my production quantities are a lot lower than what the big manufacturers are producing -- which means the price per piece to produce them is higher.

timnilson is offline Find More Posts by timnilson
Old May 11, 2012, 06:58 AM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,218 Posts
Tim,
what is the total for your frame, your suggested motors, props, ESC's etc.....

I would like to buy as a whole package?.....
Thanks for this great FPV Quad :-)

Will Quad_Addict try and beat your price?
I ask because he has the same (if not better) Quad Frame which
separates 'dirty' unwanted vibrations..... this is a great Tim!
Thank you much
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old May 11, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
Tim,
what is the total for your frame, your suggested motors, props, ESC's etc.....

I would like to buy as a whole package?.....
Thanks for this great FPV Quad :-)

Will Quad_Addict try and beat your price?
I ask because he has the same (if not better) Quad Frame which
separates 'dirty' unwanted vibrations..... this is a great Tim!
Thank you much
I will post price, motors, etc. soon.

Please keep in mind that I announced and posted the QAV500 frame, design, pictures, and videos on May 1st, 2012. Quad_Addict then posted "his" version on May 4th, 2012. He created a copy of the frame layout, plate design, vibration separation concepts, etc. as a one for one copy of the QAV500. The QAV500 will be available as a kit to build, a RTF version, and GetFPV will also carry all the individual parts in case you need crash replacement parts.
timnilson is offline Find More Posts by timnilson
Old May 11, 2012, 12:35 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnilson View Post

Please keep in mind that I announced and posted the QAV500 frame, design, pictures, and videos on May 1st, 2012. Quad_Addict then posted "his" version on May 4th, 2012. He created a copy of the frame layout, plate design, vibration separation concepts, etc. as a one for one copy of the QAV500. The QAV500 will be available as a kit to build, a RTF version, and GetFPV will also carry all the individual parts in case you need crash replacement parts.
It's painful to see sometime.... But you stick to your design, improvement, Customer Service and parts, and in long run, that prevails.
Hope that helps!
..Ben
BenHayat is online now Find More Posts by BenHayat
Old May 11, 2012, 12:38 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,693 Posts
I just want to get on an early bird list to buy one of these!
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old May 11, 2012, 12:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnilson View Post

strong accusations of your frame copy that isn't released to the public.
( as far as i can see nothing in the design that looks any different then done in the past, 4 arms, weird center chassis, & holds a gopro camera)

it doesn't matter who puts what out first. this is a community of sharing not a business forum, you are supposed to work together and make everyone enjoy the hobby. your not even a site sponsor here and promote products and business.

quad addict iconic-x/fpv is selling for $140 shipped
Old May 11, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,430 Posts
Quote:
For all intents and purpose, it makes absolutely no difference where your flight controller is mounted on the frame. Provided that your FC is oriented appropriately, mounted flat and is properly indexed with the aircraft's azimuth, it will compensate exactly the same regardless of its location.

You can mount your flight controller on a stick stood off 10 feet to the side of your quad and it will fly fine as long as the stick is rigid and the FC is mounted with the above criteria.

Other than that, I really like the frame. Camera mount being isolated ought to work great. I'd actually suggest mounting the FC on the non isolated portion of the frame. In most cases, adding a mechanical means of vibration filtering to an IMU will actually increase it's control deadband as well as the likelihood for the system to drift. As long as your props are balanced, stock tape mounted directly to the airframe usually works best.

Just so everyone is clear the statement above is only true for gyro only fc. A fc with accelerometers is influenced by position. The DJI WKM has the ability to compensate for position so it can be placed anywhere and still use accelerometers for leveling etc.
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
Old May 11, 2012, 12:52 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,138 Posts
Quote:

quad addict iconic-x/fpv is selling for $140 shipped
I still have not been able to find a single site that shows this product with it's specs and price. Do you have a link to his site?

In none of the video descriptions or comments have I found the price or info.
Thanks!
BenHayat is online now Find More Posts by BenHayat
Old May 11, 2012, 12:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHayat View Post
I still have not been able to find a single site that shows this product with it's specs and price. Do you have a link to his site?

In none of the video descriptions or comments have I found the price or info.
Thanks!
this?
NEW Iconic-X FPV Frame for quadcopter ( Acrylic version) (1 min 25 sec)
Old May 11, 2012, 01:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo12 View Post
Just so everyone is clear the statement above is only true for gyro only fc. A fc with accelerometers is influenced by position. The DJI WKM has the ability to compensate for position so it can be placed anywhere and still use accelerometers for leveling etc.
good point, I do remember reading the concerns about the accel chips in the tests, i think there is a threshold in the position anyways. because i see people setup there boards off center and fly well, so maybe it has some leeway as far as proper accell usage