HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:42 AM
Joined Mar 2011
43 Posts
100 is pushing it and 36 is too big but i can always mod to make it fit. I would prefer to keep in within the standard range so i can spread the info to those who can't or don't want to modify their boxes
jetspeedz is offline Find More Posts by jetspeedz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:12 AM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Would you manage to get away with an extra half mill? Loong max Tipple 1800mah 3S listed as 100X36X23. Just ordered a couple myself but haven't got them yet to check them for you.
Jetspeedz, Loong max Tipples are a good bet ifthey will fit as the 25c version is genuine 25c

Wayne
Wayne Giles is offline Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:21 AM
Joined Mar 2011
43 Posts
Wayne,

When i look for a lipo one of the criteria i try to look for is consistency. While some of the packs reported in the database for the Loong-Max look great some of them are not up to par and inconsistent. Of course i can only conclude my decision based on the info provided but overall they seem like a good brand with some inconsistencies. Do you think these packs are consistent or is there some disparity between the packs.

Here is one tested by bobSmith, (Row 42) which is rated at 25C but true C is 19.

BobSmith Loong-Max 2250 25 19 23 7.24 22c ESR meter 0.74 43 19
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:34 AM
Joined Mar 2011
43 Posts
I created a "C" Delta column using the database and I was pretty clear to see how inconsistent some of the packs are. I can conclude easily what packs not to purchase but the ones that showed a Delta in a favorable manner had much less inconsistency even though not a single manufacturer was 100% consistent. I won't name the mfg from the list but there is really one that shows a favorable Delta consistently between all the testers, however even this mfg had a few questionable packs.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:57 AM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz View Post
Wayne,

When i look for a lipo one of the criteria i try to look for is consistency. While some of the packs reported in the database for the Loong-Max look great some of them are not up to par and inconsistent. Of course i can only conclude my decision based on the info provided but overall they seem like a good brand with some inconsistencies. Do you think these packs are consistent or is there some disparity between the packs.

Here is one tested by bobSmith, (Row 42) which is rated at 25C but true C is 19.

BobSmith Loong-Max 2250 25 19 23 7.24 22c ESR meter 0.74 43 19

Have alook at http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...EG%20Table.jpg

Bob has probably used his packs a lot. Not saying they are very long lived but if you put my Measured IR figures into the calculator they give 27C

In a hurry will post more tonight

Wayne
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:06 AM
Joined Mar 2011
43 Posts
Thanks for that chart, i see the discharge C rating and discharge current in amps are identical, did you test these in a controlled environment where you set the discharge or is that the rating given by the MFG?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:33 PM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
869 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for that chart, i see the discharge C rating and discharge current in amps are identical, did you test these in a controlled environment where you set the discharge or is that the rating given by the MFG?
To ensure that these tests are truly comparative, the current is a closely controlled preset value and maintained throughout the discharge so if it is set to the claimed 'C' rating of the pack it is a measure of the claim. The starting temperature is always 25deg.C
I know Bob and he is a careful and knowledgeable modeller with a particular interest in lipos. The Loong Max are the original types which have not been available for some years and will be ageing. If you look lower down you will see that the 1800 20C Tipple is showing a real C of 22 ie 10% up on spec as is the 25C Tipple I tested.
My original testing from some years back showed that Loongmax packs outperformed nearly all the competition and thay all met their C rating claims.
See. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...php?t=1087725p

Wayne
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Mar 2011
43 Posts
Thanks for the info. I like how you tested it in a controlled environment. How relevant do you think the data is now almost 3 years later assuming the MFG is not sourcing the cells from the same factory?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:28 PM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
869 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I like how you tested it in a controlled environment. How relevant do you think the data is now almost 3 years later assuming the MFG is not sourcing the cells from the same factory?
Just don't know do we. It is a lottery as most lipo "makers" buy cells from ? makers and just assemble packs. I found that LoongMax were using exactly the same cells as blue Turnigy for their 25C 2250 packs which would explain why the Turnigys performed so well.
Suppliers change, chemical makeup changes so that the short answer is probably 'No'
Nonetheless, Loong Max Tipples still show very low IR values so they should be worth a punt.

Wayne
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Mar 2011
43 Posts
That is what I was assuming about the MFG's. I guess like you said it is a crap shoot and you may get lucky but won't know till you buy and try it yourself.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:00 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,506 Posts
jets, you might be interested in this post from another thread about who makes LiPo cells and how they are marketed.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=15

John is a vendor promoting his product but he has a long history in the LiPo business (he worked on the original Kokam batteries) and I think from all the evidence his assertions are correct.

In another post somewhere (going from memory here) he stated that of the 100 LiPo cell manufacturers in the world all but two are in China and the cells we see in our batteries are all supplied by only 4 of them. All the brands we see are just assembly operations. Haiyin may be an exception as they sell directly and are a manufacturer.

John

Quote:
That is what I was assuming about the MFG's. I guess like you said it is a crap shoot and you may get lucky but won't know till you buy and try it yourself.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Mar 2011
43 Posts
I think you must have me confused with someone else, I was never dealing with RevoJohn?

I'm well aware of where the cells come from. I actually wrote a paper on LiFePO4 and the cells just like Lipos come from a few sources overseas and everybody else assembles them and throws their label on it.

The Lipos are just more popular in the RC world hence the scrupulous marking is not as bad with LiFePO4 batteries unlike Lipos with vendors/MFGs making ridiculous claims all in an effort to falsely market their products and pull one over the consumer.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:20 PM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,083 Posts
Ok here are a few graphs a boat customer of mine sent me of some 6s 5000 mah packs he runs in his race boat. The graphs shown are a 6s 2P configuration which is what he runs in his boat. These are from the 10, 11 and 12 charge on the packs.

Mark
MarkF is offline Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Mar 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
Ok here are a few graphs a boat customer of mine sent me of some 6s 5000 mah packs he runs in his race boat. The graphs shown are a 6s 2P configuration which is what he runs in his boat. These are from the 10, 11 and 12 charge on the packs.

Mark
That is nice of you to post the graphs but it just goes to prove your claim of selling only 65C lipos are false advertising as shown in the data from the graphs for example Cell 3 puts your continuous current at 25-27C Real value not 65C. Which would mean the smaller packs that usually have an even higher IR probably closer to between 15-20C not 65C.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:16 PM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,083 Posts
Thank you for you coments jetspeedz. I already told you how I feel about c ratings in a pm. Yet you come on here and post this garbage. Your a class act.

Mark
MarkF is offline Find More Posts by MarkF