SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:11 AM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsazerbaijan View Post
Hi guys, I'm really pleased with finding this thread, it's really informative for newcomers to FPV like myself.

So Christmas is coming and I thought Santa (hehe) might bring me some FPV gear for my new Bixler...

I was looking at the HobbyKing 5.8Ghz system(http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Tx_Rx_Set.html) with the $17 Sony CCD camera.

Is this easy to set up?
I think I'm going to try using LiPos to power everything, how does this sound: 2200mAh 3s for 4.3" TV screen, 7.4V 1000mAh for transmitter (I've heard that 3s makes it run way to hot, is this true?) and a 1000mAh 3s for the receiver on the ground... Do you think that setup will work?

In terms of display, I think I'm going to try and make a DIY FPV helmet with a cheap monitor inside in front of my eyes (a bit like video goggles, but a tenth of the price). This is the monitor I am thinking of using: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_3454wt_977

So, any comments on this setup?

Thanks IloveFPV for the great thread and everyone else (especially bmsweb- I love you guys' videos!)

Thanks for any help,
Happy flying,
Al
Al - this sounds reasonable..

Glad you are enjoying the thread... Are you flying your Bixler now?
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2011, 08:13 AM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
ilovefpv what do you have your COG set at, i have looked at other bixler threads, and seems like its anything from 60mm to 70+mm
carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old Nov 06, 2011, 08:34 AM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggit View Post
ilovefpv what do you have your COG set at, i have looked at other bixler threads, and seems like its anything from 60mm to 70+mm
carl
@doggit I've got it set at around 62mm - works for me! Makes for a nice landing glide slope and in general, even trimming between power on and power off...

In general, my flying style is slow for photography / FPV... However I could see how someone wanting to fly the bird faster wanting a CG further forward.

What do you have it set at? What are your experiences?
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:46 AM
FPV Noob
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefpv View Post
Al - this sounds reasonable..

Glad you are enjoying the thread... Are you flying your Bixler now?
Hi IloveFpv! Yupp I maidened the Bix yesterday (surprisingly a day of nice weather in Scotland- for once!), I've been flying the HK Mini Swift for a while now, so I ordered a Bixler a couple of weeks ago from the USA warehouse and my brother brought it over to the UK with him. I am amazed! So docile and stable for a beginner, a great choice for anyone starting out!

So yeh, I think I might ask Santa to bring me the FPV setup I mentioned earlier, fpv looks awesome!

Thanks for the great thread,
Happy fpv flying
Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:07 AM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsazerbaijan View Post
Hi IloveFpv! Yupp I maidened the Bix yesterday (surprisingly a day of nice weather in Scotland- for once!), I've been flying the HK Mini Swift for a while now, so I ordered a Bixler a couple of weeks ago from the USA warehouse and my brother brought it over to the UK with him. I am amazed! So docile and stable for a beginner, a great choice for anyone starting out!

So yeh, I think I might ask Santa to bring me the FPV setup I mentioned earlier, fpv looks awesome!

Thanks for the great thread,
Happy fpv flying
Al
Al - good luck with the plane! Get as much stick time as you can - in preparation for your FPV setup next year....

And don't forget to upgrade the hardware while you're at it! The stock hardware isn't fit for FPV-prime time... ;-)
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:38 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Subscribed.

Great information on FPV. Looking forward to the videos that get posted.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:40 AM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
Quote:
@doggit I've got it set at around 62mm - works for me! Makes for a nice landing glide slope and in general, even trimming between power on and power off...

In general, my flying style is slow for photography / FPV... However I could see how someone wanting to fly the bird faster wanting a CG further forward.

What do you have it set at? What are your experiences?
i am a scratchbuilder usualy, but decided to get purpose made plane for my FPV, i have used mainly flying wings like the divinity series wings and a few other designs, but i like how the bixler and similar frames fly especially with fpv gear, and tried the other day to maiden my bixler, but i think my cog was off, i had it at 68mm, and was not sucessful, so going to try it at 60 to 62, my fpv is 2.4ghz 500mw vtx and vrx, a 540tvl board cam with a scratchbuild mount http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post18799833 i dont have an osd anymore, my ezosd died, so am flying without for now, but i am getting either the ramzibi or the ceosd, but i am in no rush to get yet, and i will power with a 2200 mAh lipo, and record my flights with a HD keyring cam,
carl
Old Nov 06, 2011, 12:03 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
What was happening when the COG was at 68mm? You are measuring this from the leading edge of the wing?

I like your camera mount - I hadn't seen your thread before, but look very similar to the design I came up with...

What happened to your OSD?
Old Nov 06, 2011, 12:29 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
it just didnt fly right, kinda nose heavy, and yeah it was measured from the LE, and my ezosd got fried, i made a dumb mistake, i only just bought a new current sensor for it, and instead of taking my time, i rushed soldering my XT60 connectors and soldered black and red the wrong way and plugged in, i felt so stupid but its a mistake i wont make again, and the mount is not my idea i got the link from the guy who did design it, i am going to re do the cog in a bit
carl
Old Nov 06, 2011, 12:50 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2011
375 Posts
Quote:
Are you having much luck with the Hobby King affiliate program?
Well I'm happy to share my total Affiliate earnings . . a total of $2.25! I've only ever received this amount once. That was when my friend purchased through my link. I did the same for him the next time I purchased and he received a similar amount . . actually I think it was even less. Since then I know people have used my Affiliate links but no more has gone into the account. I don't know what the deal is??

In all honesty the main reason we all buy from hobby king is the pricing which is pretty good. Our Bixler came with one wing broken . . bummer but still worth it since foam is easy to fix.
bmsweb is offline Find More Posts by bmsweb
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:17 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
anyone seen this 360 degree servo, very cheap too http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_in...roducts_id=745
carl
Old Nov 06, 2011, 08:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Here's a photo from my flying session today... What do you think?

http://www.ilovefpv.com/2011/11/gopr...l-photography/
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:44 PM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your support ! I wasn't quite sure what kind of reception this would get.

Cool video... A couple of questions - how do you like the flaps on your Sky Surfer? I've thought they would be good on the Bixler for short lands at a site I'm trying to do FPV at. Are they easy to install?

Also - what are you using for your base station? I see the image of it in the opening frames (is that a monitor in your car? )

-Steve
ilovefpv,

I love the flaps, I should have done them a long time ago. For just slow trolling looking around or snapping awesome pics flaps are the thing to have. I can land in strong wind without skidding at all with my FPV gear. Most of the video I posted was with the flaps down and u can see how slow it's flying. I'm gonna get that new HK OSD they just started to carry and try it out. Then I'll know what my slowest speed is before stall. With the Co-Pilot II on it pretty much lands itself.

My base station is a work in progress. I'm using two 900 MHz receivers with a range video micro diversity running a DIY Omni and ibcrazy BiQuad. It's rock solid video. I was using a LCD flat screen in the back of my car to see which I liked FPVing better. I have headplay goggles and they work very well. I just don't like not looking around when I'm flying in unfamiliar area. Once this guy walked right up to me for who knows how long before I realized he was there. I don't like that.

I'm in the process of putting everything (ground station) in a pelican case and mounting the flat screen to the inside lid. I'm gonna hate to drill into the lid of my pelican but I don't see another way to secure that heavy LCD screen. I'll post pics once I get her done.
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Last edited by Wirewolf903; Nov 06, 2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:10 PM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Al - good luck with the plane! Get as much stick time as you can - in preparation for your FPV setup next year....

And don't forget to upgrade the hardware while you're at it! The stock hardware isn't fit for FPV-prime time... ;-)
I second that! All the stock electronics at least in the SkySurfer are junk. They caused my first fuse fire and crash. I'm just now planning on upgrading my plastic 9g servos to all metal gears. If I were to do it all over again I would have just started with all metal gear sevos.

I'm trying these MG sevos out now. So far very nice, fast, and strong! $6!!!http://www.nitroplanes.com/servo-mg90s.html
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Last edited by Wirewolf903; Nov 06, 2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:33 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2011
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirewolf903 View Post
I have headplay goggles and they work very well.
I've been thinking of getting headplay but there seems to be so many mixed reports about them.
bmsweb is offline Find More Posts by bmsweb