HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:31 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Jakarta
Joined Nov 2012
51 Posts
hi guys.. i just bought mcpx blade for my genius CP..is it just plug and play like i just swap my genius cp with it or i need to add washer or something to make it fit? thanks guys
valestrife is offline Find More Posts by valestrife
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:43 AM
United States, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Nov 2009
635 Posts
i need some help! my GCP has been sitting on the shelf all summer, it flew great last winter. I decided to charge some batteries up and blow the dust off it. When i first powered it up the left pictch servo was bouncing, both in 6 axis and 3 axis. I figured maybe the servo went out and i figured its probably got close to 100 flights. I popped a new servo in, it did not bounce just sitting on the ground like the other one did, so i thought problem solved! then i got it in the air and it started bouncing crazy in the air! I cant even fly it now. Has anyone else had the issue?? its all stock.
Hot_Wheels is offline Find More Posts by Hot_Wheels
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:33 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
Hey guys,
I haven't read through the thread (too lazy) but I need to know if you guys have a problem with this first gen Genius sucking the life out of batteries? I mean it's ridiculous. I've tried the 240's and 300's so far. I've got some 350's on order, but still.... Something's up with this. I'm getting like less than a minute sometimes....
Rain4LA is offline Find More Posts by Rain4LA
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:36 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,489 Posts
Bad motor?
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:43 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,212 Posts
Bad motor. I've got two more spares in the toolbox. These coreless motors certainly don't last. I just swapped a motor, it still lasts 8 minutes, but i found that i don't have enough power to pull out of a dive lately so i swapped it. I also noticed that the blades no longer spun freely, last time that happened, it was because the motor had gotten hot enough to warp the plastic frame, meaning it's overheating even with the wind flowing around it, so out it went. This last one lasted a little over two weeks. A new record.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Dec 03, 2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Bad motor. I've got two more spares in the toolbox. These coreless motors certainly don't last. I just swapped a motor, it still lasts 8 minutes, but i found that i don't have enough power to pull out of a dive lately so i swapped it. I also noticed that the blades no longer spun freely, last time that happened, it was because the motor had gotten hot enough to warp the plastic frame, meaning it's overheating even with the wind flowing around it, so out it went. This last one lasted a little over two weeks. A new record.
I guess that's what it is. That sucks because this is fairly new and I was just getting used to it. I couldn't help myself yesterday, and I ordered a Genius V2. Does it have the same motor, do you guys know? It's getting delivered on Wednesday, so I'm psyched about checking out the differences.
Also, where do you guys order your motors from? Do you buy them specifically for the Genius, or are there some that work better? And how hard are they to change out? Sorry, I'm new to this. Any help would be appreciated.
And what about making it brushless? How hard would that be?

Edit: It looks like the motor on the v2 is different, by the way they word it....
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:18 PM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
I gave up on the stock motor and started running the MCPX generic motor from Hobby King. I heard it has carbon brushes. I also have a heat sink installed, getting 3-4 minutes, more power, hopefully longer life.. Its about 4 grams heavier but it has more power then the stock and has not burned a hole in my canopy yet.
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain4LA View Post

I guess that's what it is. That sucks because this is fairly new and I was just getting used to it. I couldn't help myself yesterday, and I ordered a Genius V2. Does it have the same motor, do you guys know? It's getting delivered on Wednesday, so I'm psyched about checking out the differences.
Also, where do you guys order your motors from? Do you buy them specifically for the Genius, or are there some that work better? And how hard are they to change out? Sorry, I'm new to this. Any help would be appreciated.
And what about making it brushless? How hard would that be?

Edit: It looks like the motor on the v2 is different, by the way they word it....
http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/Walkera-...duct_info.html

I buy several at once to make up for the shipping. Changing them is just a matter of pulling off the main gear and unscrewing the old motor. Just remember that you need to put very small gap between the motor pinion and the main gear.

GeniusCP Gear Test (0 min 7 sec)

If your rotor doesn't spin freely like this, your pinion's pressing too hard against the main gear.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:58 PM
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/Walkera-...duct_info.html

I buy several at once to make up for the shipping. Changing them is just a matter of pulling off the main gear and unscrewing the old motor. Just remember that you need to put very small gap between the motor pinion and the main gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx-yXaojHrY

If your rotor doesn't spin freely like this, your pinion's pressing too hard against the main gear.
Thank you!
If I'm gonna order a bunch, why not just order the brushless kit?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:55 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Jakarta
Joined Nov 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valestrife View Post
hi guys.. i just bought mcpx blade for my genius CP..is it just plug and play like i just swap my genius cp with it or i need to add washer or something to make it fit? thanks guys
i need answer here guys..totally newbie =(
valestrife is offline Find More Posts by valestrife
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain4LA View Post
Thank you!
If I'm gonna order a bunch, why not just order the brushless kit?
There's that option. I haven't had much luck with brushless (esc burned out twice within a couple of days each, ouchie on the wallet), but there's a brushless kit thread that's supposed to be made specifically for the micros and not a jury rigged tail esc like the earlier ones.

Choice is either 8 motors which will last you four months, or put all your eggs in one basket and get a brushless.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined Nov 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
There's that option. I haven't had much luck with brushless (esc burned out twice within a couple of days each, ouchie on the wallet), but there's a brushless kit thread that's supposed to be made specifically for the micros and not a jury rigged tail esc like the earlier ones.

Choice is either 8 motors which will last you four months, or put all your eggs in one basket and get a brushless.
Thanks, man... I appreciate it... Maybe I'll get the coreless motors for the v1, and if my v2 burns out quickly like this one does, I'll try the brushless kit on that one. I'll report back and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Todd
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:22 AM
Joined May 2012
41 Posts
Is the play between pinion and main gear enough? Of course brushed motors would burn like hell if it was too tight -- you need to alllow just a tad of play.
ShellFish31 is offline Find More Posts by ShellFish31
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:51 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,489 Posts
Hey guys, I'm having this problem with a screeching sound when in flight. Sounds like a mechanical scream. It's only during flight though and seems to mostly occur the closer I get to zero collective pitch (higher RPM or something in the head?).

This is not a new thing it has been there ever since I got the GCP. Flight time is normal 6 minutes on stock battery, motor is barely warm.

I thought it might be the motor or a bearing but if I hold the heli in my hand it doesn't scream at all. Then I go fly and I can hear it screeching like crazy very loud all the way across the field. Maybe the frame is flexing or something, I have no idea what the issue could be.

Bearings, linkages, gears are all lubed. Swash is level, main gear is perfectly centered on the pinion.

Edit:
This is the sound here. This isn't my heli but it's doing the same thing, the noise actually sounds much worse in real life because it's really loud.
Walkera Genius CP Micro Helicopter (1 min 59 sec)
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Last edited by LittleMo; Dec 05, 2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:47 AM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
I just got my Genius last week but the tx was defective and I had to return it. So my new Devo 7 will be here tomorrow or friday. This is my first Walkera heli, what is the process for binding my Genius with the new Tx?

Thanks.
Budasac is offline Find More Posts by Budasac