SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 06, 2010, 01:08 PM
"Let's put a camera on that.."
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2010
1,063 Posts
How does this sort of thing happen? That seems like it'd be catastrophic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthox View Post
this is what happens if u want to much
the shaft is broken midair
after 10min with a new motor the quad was ready to fly again
spagoziak is offline Find More Posts by spagoziak
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2010, 01:58 PM
Norway Haugesund
Joined Jun 2010
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk77 View Post
Hi!

Well, i have read the hole thread and already ordered some smd pcb from scorpia, thanks for that, but i don't found the info that the HK 401B gyros don't have a TQFP ATMega anymore but a MLF, so they don't fit. Perhaps this fact should be mentioned in the partlist ...

Neverless a great project and i can't wait for the delivery of the electronic parts to start flying ...

greetings from germany
Jens
Hm, if I don`t get you wrong, is it somthing new with the hk 401B gyro?
The reason I ask is that I just ordered 12 pcs today from HK 180$

Any other gyros that will fit into the jakub pcb board?

Just got 4 quad`s from Jakub to day
culexus is offline Find More Posts by culexus
Old Aug 06, 2010, 02:01 PM
No, it's the same plane ...
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Bochum
Joined Jul 2010
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by culexus View Post
Hm, if I don`t get you wrong, is it somthing new with the hk 401B gyro?
The reason I ask is that I just ordered 12 pcs today from HK 180$
Well, the gyro from the sub-pcb is still ok, only the controller has changed. In the partlist of the smd version of the controllerboard is mentioned that you could use the controller from the gyro. This is not possible anymore ...

Jens
jjk77 is offline Find More Posts by jjk77
Old Aug 06, 2010, 02:20 PM
Norway Haugesund
Joined Jun 2010
329 Posts
Quote:
Well, the gyro from the sub-pcb is still ok, only the controller has changed. In the partlist of the smd version of the controllerboard is mentioned that you could use the controller from the gyro. This is not possible anymore ...

Jens
Ahh! You got me smile again! I only need the gyro board, but no fun for those who need the other parts.

Thanx!
Old Aug 06, 2010, 02:24 PM
No, it's the same plane ...
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Bochum
Joined Jul 2010
149 Posts
Quote:
Ahh! You got me smile again! I only need the gyro board, but no fun for those who need the other parts.

Thanx!
Sorry if my post has frightened you .

Well, i personally have orderd some Atmega88 so i will have no problem, but perhaps someone counts on the information written in the partlist and will then be disappointed when he has the gyros and the controller from the gyro(s) will not fit.

Jens
jjk77 is offline Find More Posts by jjk77
Old Aug 06, 2010, 02:30 PM
Norway Haugesund
Joined Jun 2010
329 Posts
Quote:
Sorry if my post has frightened you .

Well, i personally have orderd some Atmega88 so i will have no problem, but perhaps someone counts on the information written in the partlist and will then be disappointed when he has the gyros and the controller from the gyro(s) will not fit.

Jens
Hehe no problem Jens I`m still alive.

Now I wait for the gyros and the propeller to arrive
A little anxious to get the quad in the air.
Old Aug 06, 2010, 02:32 PM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
you know what this mean 2h

warthox is offline Find More Posts by warthox
Old Aug 06, 2010, 03:50 PM
NL
Joined Nov 2009
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
For the train to stay at 1m higher, whatever supports the train has to sustain that extra amount of energy the train causes. Destroy or weaken that support will make the train fall down again. The track that supports the train has to provide an energy equal with the potential energy that the train can provide if it falls from that 1m down.
No, the rock that supports the track does NOT require any power to keep the train up. Look at your bookshelf. Does it require any power to keep your book up?
Quote:
Physics law says that energy doesn't loose, it doesn't come out of nowhere . It just transforms one form to anther.
Quite right.
Quote:
So you bring the quad up in the air, Now for it to stay there, you have to provide same amount of energy that equal to A=m*g*h so that it doesn't fall down. This energy can be translated to power through time.
Nope. If you fly up that one meter, it requires m*g*h to get there. This is just once. Now to stay there requires 0 (plus losses if you want to hover). If you park it(land) on a table, you now require 0 power to stay 1m high.

Think of it this way: If you take off at the roof of a 100m high building. Does it matter whether you fly above the roof or if you fly just besides the roof? At one point you're 1m above the roof, at the next point you're 101 m above the ground.

You can also see that there must be something wrong the units don't match: m.g.h is energy, Joules. The power required to stay in the air is in Watts (Joules per second).
rewolff is offline Find More Posts by rewolff
Old Aug 06, 2010, 03:57 PM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
so here it is. hope u dont throw away your barf-bags after the last video

kk quadrocopter - fast n low (2 min 6 sec)
Old Aug 06, 2010, 04:06 PM
Joined May 2010
488 Posts
Quote:
so here it is. hope u dont throw away your barf-bags after the last video

http://vimeo.com/13943173
Eish Markus, I thought you were going to mow the lawn with that thing.
Niall is offline Find More Posts by Niall
Old Aug 06, 2010, 04:35 PM
Norway Haugesund
Joined Jun 2010
329 Posts
warthox! what you do is just extreme!

Okay some pictures of Jakub's fiber frame propellers are temporarily attached I'll have some 3 blade GWS later.
Old Aug 06, 2010, 05:08 PM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
Quote:
warthox! what you do is just extreme!

Okay some pictures of Jakub's fiber frame propellers are temporarily attached I'll have some 3 blade GWS later.
thanks and i will do the same crazy things with jakubs frame
Old Aug 06, 2010, 05:20 PM
a little boy's dream come true
France, Corse, Santo-Pietro-di-Tenda
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
Quote:
so here it is. hope u dont throw away your barf-bags after the last video ]
nice video, very relaxing
What about some aggressive flying for a change?

Bob
bob.titus is offline Find More Posts by bob.titus
Old Aug 06, 2010, 05:35 PM
Norge, Østfold
Joined Aug 2010
4 Posts
v6 error

I have just completed the v6 PCB. When I connect the power the LED flash once and then it takes exactly 32 sec before it lights steady. The ESC signals no input from the receiver.
I have checked and rechecked the soldering and measured the voltage across the capacitors. Everything seems to be in order.

Any ideas anyone?
oeyvindo is offline Find More Posts by oeyvindo
Last edited by oeyvindo; Aug 06, 2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old Aug 06, 2010, 06:04 PM
Argentina, San Luis
Joined Feb 2006
46 Posts
Hi:

Many thanks to both of you (Bob & Jesolins). Problem seems to be solved.
I have just finished my first quadrocopter and when testing all 4 motors stopped at once after aprox 1min flight!. Test was not higher than 60 cm!
Change the battery for a just charged one and the left arm motor stopped twice, without damage.

After reading your answers and more about motor timming suggestions ( another issue ) I tested today again . Seems to be solved, no arm going down and no motors stopping during a 5 minutes hover !

Here is what i have
74 cm m2m quadro, fore&aft motors about 6 degrees to the right.
Pulso hk20-20L motors
4 ccw 10 x 3.8 gray APC
Plush 30 A esc
homemade pcb following Jakub info ( and his pcb just received still unpopulated ) quadro 4.2 version.
3s 2100 mAh 25C battery
Settings Nmhxxx, cutoff, medium motor timming.
Motors are making some "click noise", once in a while. Any idea if should be run with high timming ???

Any experience with this specific motors and esc´s?

Lewta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
As Bob mentions, this is done because 4 ESCs shutting down on a quad a different times never has a good outcome. A high current draw can cause the ESC to sense voltage below the cut-off level and then go into this mode causing at best an arm dip and possible loss of control. If the ESCs you use such as the Mystery series has a cutoff disable, then use it. In lieu of that then setting them to NIMH and low cut-off is the next best option as the cut-off voltage for NiMh's is lower than for lipos, but it is still not fool-proof. You do still want to only start with a fully charged lipo as in the Nimh mode, some ESCs will do a voltage check at power on and then use a 50% cut-off. This would mean that if you use a lipo that has 30% of its power used that it would measure that voltage and possibly engage the cut-off sooner than you would have expected. So that would still be bad for quads/tris/etc. Use a lipo alarm in the balance plug if your board does not include a lipo alarm.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Lewta is offline Find More Posts by Lewta