SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:13 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Personally, I think there is good and bad for both...For me electric works out the best, for many reasons. Being able to fly for at least ten minutes would be nice though....but that is the same with any size 3D plane....it's just not going to happen with most high performance electric planes though...(at least not at this stage in battery development...)

SteveT
Hey you are cutting me 20% short!! 12 minutes! And that's with at least 1/4 tank left, but will probably not bump the timer up anymore. Doing harriers and such it just uses no throttle on this plane.

I was thinking about converting one of the 30cc planes to gas but will leave them as is for now. Still like them for the park and car trips.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Nov 2008
8,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsg View Post
The spec says 355 kV - I'd say it's a lot for 18x8 on 8s. I don't know what kV the V1 had. I would guess 330 or so would be the max for a motor of that size if you want to do 18x8 on 8s. That's consistent with aero-model's recommendation of -14L.

FWIW, aircraft-world still sells Hyperion 4035-14, which works very well on my Slick with 8s and a 18x8.
I know several with a 12l and 8s with a 18x8 that have lasted. My 12l on my 74 running 8s didn't last 2 flights. magnets tosses. They replaced it and I sold it. Then had a 14l properly setup on 8s and it tossed mags after about 6 flights. got a new one and sold it. I only run a hacker a30 now.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:29 AM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
348 Posts
My Slick and most of the needed gear is headed my way finally.

I'll be running an ICE 100. Should I get a BEC or run a receiver pack? I'm using HS-7954SH servos.

Thanks
smithder is offline Find More Posts by smithder
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:50 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,022 Posts
My vote is rx pack. I'm sure you will get votes the other way though. I'm running a 2s LiFe pack and love it. I got it from valuehobby for cheap and it is doing great after lots of cycles.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:54 AM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
348 Posts
What capacity is it and how many flights do you get? Should I be concerned about weight running 8s?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:11 AM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithder View Post
My Slick and most of the needed gear is headed my way finally.

I'll be running an ICE 100. Should I get a BEC or run a receiver pack? I'm using HS-7954SH servos.

Thanks
I would grab a BEC pro... you can either solder it directly to the esc leads or run a separate pack. I run 2x 450 packs and use about half after 3-4 flights..
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:13 AM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
348 Posts
I've used a BEC pro in the passed on another plane. Just wondered if more people run that or battery
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:32 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,022 Posts
My 2s life pack is 1800 mah. I can get 4 or 5 flights on my gasser. http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...h-2s-life.html.

I know it sounds crazy but I have really been impressed with mine. I am running 5 digital servos and the voltage holds nice and steady. It drops a lot less than the 2s 2100 20c lipo I was running before.

The downside is it weighs 104g vs 29g for the bec pro. Now you are armed with more information... make the choice that you feel offers you the most of what ypu want.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:35 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
I would grab a BEC pro... you can either solder it directly to the esc leads or run a separate pack. I run 2x 450 packs and use about half after 3-4 flights..
I'm guessing 3s 450mah's in parallel and is it better to run two packs, or is it for weight distribution.
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:35 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,467 Posts
im a big fan of bec's....i love not plugging in an extra battery and worrying about charging it each few flights. if you want to go over the top as far as reliability, western robotics has a killer bec. dont even need a programmer to change the voltage. its pricey at $90, but all the heli guys swear by them and i am thinking about getting one to try out

http://www.western-robotics.com/herc...ini_plane.html
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,663 Posts
I'm a fan of the BEC... Set up right it's pretty bulletproof. If you used a life battery you wouldn't take full advantage of the HV servos. On my smaller plane with HV servos I run the 10amp BEC regulated to 8.2volts (it has 0.1v increments). With the Slick and the BEC pro I run 8volts regulated with the 7954sh since the next step is 8.5v.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:42 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,022 Posts
Sounds like the consensus is a bec pro for electric. Mine is a gasser so it is not the same issue.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:25 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,450 Posts
Bec pro here set to 8.2 volts with my 7954 servos. I have mine wired right off the esc. Has around 1k fights with no issues.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:17 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,845 Posts
Flip a coin, and do what you like....there are "pros and cons" to each.... My preference in anything below 30% scale is a BEC, 30% scale, Lipos directly into a "Power Safe" receiver.

Pros for BEC Pro.... (or any BEC)

ease of use....set it up and basically forget it...
adjustable voltage
no need for another switch (to switch off between flights)
normally run off of the flight pack (though some people do use a 3S pack and then run a BEC as a regulator.)
fairly light weight, so doesn't effect CG too much.
fairly consistent power

Cons... for BEC Pro...

normally runs off of flight pack, so, if you have a flight pack failure, there goes the plane.
you need to mount it where it can get good cooling
needs to be kept at least one to two inches away from the receiver (according to Bernie at Castle)

Pros for separate battery...

No loss of plane if you have a flight pack failure
Don't have to keep it away from the receiver.

Cons for separate battery....

heavier than BEC (but can be used to help adjust for CG)
another battery to charge
usually a switch involved so that you can turn it off between flights
unless you go with a large battery (or a 3S lipo and regulator), loss of servo speed/performance over a period of a few flights (unless you recharge between flights).

I'm sure there are more "pros and cons" for each, but this was just a quick list...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Sounds like the consensus is a bec pro for electric. Mine is a gasser so it is not the same issue.
Concur...