Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
View Poll Results: Would you be more likely to join the AMA if you could pay in payments?
Monthly ($5.00) 4 6.78%
Quarterly ($15.00) 11 18.64%
Don't think payments are a good idea 22 37.29%
Still would not join 22 37.29%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 03, 2007, 08:15 AM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
Poll
NON-AMA members would you more likely join if...

You could pay monthly($5) or quarterly($15)
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2007, 09:41 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,421 Posts
AMA parks are no where near me, would the insurance still cover?
Matthew Cotten is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Cotten
Old Jul 03, 2007, 09:55 AM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
According to AMA no.. but I think there are 1000s of people out there who are not AMA memebers because laying out $90.00 total for AMA and field dues is more likely to goto a motor, a battery, an airframe..etc.
Old Jul 03, 2007, 10:05 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLATINUM
According to AMA no.. but I think there are 1000s of people out there who are not AMA memebers because laying out $90.00 total for AMA and field dues is more likely to goto a motor, a battery, an airframe..etc.
That is incorrect, Platinum! The insurance coverage applies regardless of where you fly, as long as you are flying in accordance to the AMA safety code.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Jul 03, 2007, 10:16 AM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
That was my problem no AMA place to fly near me. I mentioned to a friend who use to fly larger scale nitros and he said the insurance also covers theft?
BowerR64 is offline Find More Posts by BowerR64
Old Jul 03, 2007, 10:36 AM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
My bad Chris, I always thought you had to fly on AMA fields.
Old Jul 03, 2007, 01:06 PM
Flight Cadet
Florida
Joined Feb 2007
546 Posts
Due to most county ordinances, you effectively can't fly legally and within guidelines anywhere but AMA sanctioned field =(
tangel is offline Find More Posts by tangel
Old Jul 03, 2007, 02:09 PM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
Tangle, I am guessing this changes from county to county..state to state.
Old Jul 03, 2007, 02:32 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
You can fly anywhere as long as you have permission in some way shape for form from the landowner to fly there and are still covered. Dave answered that question in his section also after I posted the question since this misconception comes up so often and people seem to want to keep spreading it even after they've been told you don't need to fly at a club field to be coverd by AMA insurance over and over and over again.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Jul 03, 2007, 02:33 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
Why is this being placed in Microheli's section instead of general discussion? That makes no sense.
Old Jul 03, 2007, 02:43 PM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
because not everyone goes to every forum. And really most people in this forum are great people whose opinions I value.
Old Jul 03, 2007, 02:53 PM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
I just recently heard that the city of Phoenix has been contacting local club members and officials about implementing a rule that you have to have AMA to fly at city parks.

Now about the poll, if one of the options was to pay $40 a year without the magazine subscription, that would have been my option, however, the magazine is the source of news regarding your coverage, so thats a point to argue.

Also, when put in perspective, AMA insurance is cheaper than a television licsence for the blind in the UK. $65 isnt that hard to come up with is it?

Dylan
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Jul 03, 2007, 03:06 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
They are required to publish something with news to retain their non-profit status hence the reason for the magazine.
Old Jul 03, 2007, 03:06 PM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
I don't think its about coming up with $65.. I think its that it will get spent on a heli or a part, or a battery..etc. before it gets spent on AMA..etc..
Old Jul 03, 2007, 03:28 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
> Why is this being placed in Microheli's section instead of general discussion?

Because micro heli pilots are more likely to fly in a park without AMA insurance than the main forum, which is almost exclusively about large helis.

If you fly a large model, the cost of AMA is probably insignificant compared to your other costs, but it's quite a big chunk for some people, so I'd hope that installments would encourage more members. I know that BMFA and club fees are a big part of my monthly hobby budget when they come around in January, although it's not much if spread over the whole year.

Quote:
I just recently heard that the city of Phoenix has been contacting local club members and officials about implementing a rule that you have to have AMA to fly at city parks.
That sounds much more reasonable than just banning all model flying, which is what far too may cities choose.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett