HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:34 PM
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Feb 2014
138 Posts
Help!
Sunnysky 2204s-16 2300kv problem (power issue?)

Hey guys, sorry for this long post, but I just want to be thorough about what I'm dealing with. I've been fighting to resolve this issue for a while now and just can't seem to wrap my head around it, so any help would be extremely appreciated. I've ordered 2 sets of these SS 2204s-16 2300kv motors, and both sets have this problem....so I feel I'm overlooking something.

My Blackout Mini H will run a few packs just fine on these motors, but then out of nowhere, it will fall from the sky for just long enough to hit the ground. I can dust it off and fly again for a few more packs though, and then it does it again. I've noticed when testing them, it seems that it happens more often when the motors are under heavy load (for example, dropping the quad from 20 feet up, then hitting full throttle). Out of 10 times, it will do it once or twice under this condition. Otherwise during normal flying, it seems pretty random, and spaced out between two packs or so. I believe it to be a power issue, but at this point, I'm scratching my head after everything that I've tried (listed further down).

Here is what I'm working with:
-Blackout Mini H V2 with PDB
Also tried them on my Qav250
-Naze32 Acro
-Spectrum AR6210
Also tried an AR7000
(I'm moving to FrSky soon, but this is what I have for the time being)
-Lumenier 12a Esc's (SimonK) w/bec (one servo lead powering the fc)
Also tried F-12A Fire Red series (SimonK)
-Battery is a Pulse 1350mah 35c
Also tried Nano-tech 1600 25c-50c (made the problem more frequent)
-Gemfan 5x3 props
-Immersion 5.8 vtx (although the problem will happen with, and without, the vtx powered on)

Here is what I've done so far to try and isolate the problem with no success:

1. Unplugged Vtx to be thorough, just in case of some type of interference.

2. I put a ubec on the receiver to rule out a brownout on the receiver.

3. I took the motors off of my B.O. mini and put them on my Qav250 (which was running 2000kv tmotors without issues). I did this to rule out all of the electronics on the B.O. frame.....a bad esc, flight controller, receiver, and power distribution board. The problem still presented itself.

4. I put a second set of 4 SS 2204s on it to rule out a bad motor possibly drawing too much power.

5. I tried a new battery type with higher burst rating (Nano-tech 25-50c). This made the problem seemingly more frequent.

6. I changed esc's from the Lumenier 12amp's (SimonK) to F-12a Fire Red Series esc's that were labeled as "flashed with SimonK 5-15-13 firmware to be compatible with the Sunnysky X2204 motors, etc." http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/spe...sc-simonk.html

The video below will show the problem in action. The first wreck you see is when I thought I had solved the problem with new esc's (SS motors were on the Qav250 at this point). The second wreck you see is the first time it ever happened on the B.O. Mini H shortly after the maiden flight, and I just happened to be filming.
Sunnysky 2204s problem (0 min 14 sec)

Any help would be truly appreciated. Thanks!
rruready is online now Find More Posts by rruready
Last edited by rruready; Jun 17, 2014 at 12:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:39 AM
Calico hunter
United States, CA, Aliso Viejo
Joined Mar 2014
19 Posts
not sure, but how big are your propellers? maybe run a smaller prop see if that helps.. my rough guess would be the motors get too hot
free_diver is online now Find More Posts by free_diver
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:47 AM
Joined Feb 2014
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_diver View Post
not sure, but how big are your propellers? maybe run a smaller prop see if that helps.. my rough guess would be the motors get too hot
Gemfan 5 x 3's...I can't imagine that prop is too much for them huh?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 08:30 AM
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
1,294 Posts
GF5030's are as small as he can go on a BO quad.

Are all the power connections from PDB to motors soldered?
I guess the battery is a 3S not 4S. Is this correct?
It does sound like a ESC/motor sync issue but if you're running 3S and the correct version of simonk code then it should be.

So which simonk code are you running?
Are the batteries 3S or 4S?
Did you read through the two BO (quad and hex) threads and pay attention to the sync isses?
Did you read the Sunny Sky 2204, ESCs can kill these motors thread? Lots of discussion there about these issues.
waltr is offline Find More Posts by waltr
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:09 AM
Joined Feb 2014
138 Posts
Yes, the battery is 3s. As for the connections, I used bullet connectors at first, then I soldered directly to the motors when the issue started. I did not read the B.O. thread because it also occurred on my QAV250, so it became a motor issue to me, not a frame/pdb issue. I did end up at the "Warning: Certain esc's can kill SS motors" thread after multiple Google searches. After reading through that thread, and reading up on flashing firmware, I ordered the a usbasp and fashioned my own flashing tool, but was never successful at flashing firmware. As far as what firmware is on the ESC's goes, it's whatever they came with, and as I mentioned in my post, supposedly the last set of esc's that I tried have a firmware that is meant for these motors, but I have no way to verify. I guess I will have to go back and have a try at flashing and see where that gets me. Thanks for the info, and the verification that it is likely a sync issue. If anyone else has a suggestion though, feel free to leave it so I can hopefully get this sorted. In the meantime, I will focus my energy on flashing new firmware, and report back if I can resolve it. Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:13 AM
Joined Jan 2014
1,294 Posts
From all the other threads I have about this type of problem it is a tough one to solve.

In one thread a ways back in time, some one had success by adding another electrolytic cap to the ESC power input. This could be worth trying.

If you take it easy on the throttle does it fail? Or just when you hit the throttle hard?
I suggested the BO threads since they have discussed this issue and it is independent of the quad, ESC/motor issue.

I've never flashed ESCs yet so can not help there. There are threads and posts on doing this that may help.
There is also BLHeli code that people have been have success with. Flashes with the same tools.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 01:01 PM
Joined Feb 2014
138 Posts
Yeah, I have seen the BLHeli code mentioned quite a bit lately. That's the first thing I was going to look into at this point with flashing. Thanks.

Yes, it does fail even with mid range throttle. If it's climbing, it can happen.

I'm not familiar with the process of adding an electrolytic cap to the esc input. I'll have to look into that, unless it's something you can easily explain here . Either way, thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it. You've been most helpful.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 01:51 PM
Joined Jan 2014
1,294 Posts
There is already an electrolytic cap on most ESCs. Its that cylindrical thing on the power input end of the ESC and is marked with uF and V values.
Adding one is simply soldering leads to the ESC's power input or just right onto the existing electrolytic cap leads.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 05:17 PM
Quietly Scheming!!!
Australia, WA, Port Hedland
Joined Jan 2013
363 Posts
I had this problem on my bigger quad some time ago. It took me ages to figure it out, but what I ended up doing was taking apart every solder joint from the motor to the battery and found there were a couple of motor wires that weren't soldered correctly and didn't have a good enough connection, which didn't allow enough current through to the motor.

That was my first quad which I bought second hand, and now that I have 5, I always direct solder all my motors and ESCs and never buy used motors or ESCs.

Im not saying that your motors/ESCs are second hand, just that there may be a single connection that's just not letting enough current through.
geekness is offline Find More Posts by geekness
Old Jul 07, 2014, 06:09 PM
masterless samurai
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Feb 2013
711 Posts
Oh man I have been having what seems to be a very similar problem but it didn't just happen on my BO, it has been happening across all my builds. I posted about it here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2198181

Can I ask if you have a single ESC providing 5v to your FC?

On my most recent build, I decided to include some redundancy and have two ESCs powering the FC. I have NOT had any problems with that build across different battery types and situations.

To geekness's point, I was also much more careful with the soldering so it may be thats the problem.

Good luck with this and I'll be following this closely.

P.S. The last time it happened on my BO ... was over a pond.
the.ronin is offline Find More Posts by the.ronin