Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:20 AM
Joined May 2012
46 Posts
Discussion
New

So i received this engine for Christmas.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...engine-ZENEP62

I am looking for a plane, I have been looking and I found these 2 that I really like.

http://www.arfpros.com/ESM-DHC-2-Bea...AVER-95AAF.htm

http://www.sdshobby.net/new-pitts-s1...c#.UN771uTAd8E

I have been flying for about 2 years. At this point I have flown all top wing aircraft. I have 2 glow planes, a cub and a Cessna. My question is would the biplane be too much of a jump? I have always wanted a biplane, so that is my first choice.
dearjhn is offline Find More Posts by dearjhn
Last edited by dearjhn; Dec 29, 2012 at 08:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:46 AM
United States, NY, Eldred
Joined Jun 2012
520 Posts
Without knowing your actual flying skill level, it would be hard to say. Bipes can be an animal all their own. Especially since you're looking at the pitts. It has a short tail moment and can be quite snappy. More of an Aerobatic plane than a sport flyer. Also, many bipes need to be flown all the way to the ground on landing, not like a cub that floats and practically lands itself. Also, bipes have no self correcting tendencies like that of a high wing with dihedral. Not trying to discourage you, just giving a heads up and some pointers. I personally started flying an ultimate with no problems after 200 flights with trainers and low wingers. Good luck with your choice... bipes are awesome!!!
kimchiyuk is offline Find More Posts by kimchiyuk
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined May 2012
46 Posts
Thank you for your honesty. My first plane was a corsair that a local hobby store told me would be a great beginner plane, well that didn't end very well. Well maybe I should get a low winger, I have time to figure it out.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:25 AM
texas
Joined Jul 2009
199 Posts
I myself really like the beaver I have always like that type of plane.I just got my first bi-plane for Christmas And i'm being told that they will wing tip vary easy.[I] guess we will both find out.GOOD LUCK.
luker737 is offline Find More Posts by luker737
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:44 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,139 Posts
I have flown a Pitts Python for a while....if your new to bipes then you better learn throttle control quickly as a bipe will stall on you in a heart beat....I am kinda amamzed at the 2 completely different aircraft you have chosen...the beaver will be more docile then the pitts and alot less manuverable. There are other aircraft out there try Chief aircraft and look at all the 50CC they have...
I guess it comes down to how you fly...which aircraft to get.....Bipes get alot of attention...I have flown the Pitts Python and the Goldberg Ultimate....I like faster do any manuver airplanes.
Now don't worry to much about flying a bipe....any bigger aircraft is going to take throttle control...get with some of the gas flyers you are around ask them for advice...Good Luck
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:52 AM
Unregistered User
United States, MO, Winston
Joined Jan 2011
775 Posts
+ 1 on the Beaver.
Give yourself a bit more stick time before jumping to a Pitts.
Kerwin49 is offline Find More Posts by Kerwin49
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined May 2012
46 Posts
Jet: I guess the reason for the 2 different types is because I kind of don't want to jump into something and turn my plane into splinters. These 2 would be my choices.

Kerwin: I am leaning towards that myself.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:11 AM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
726 Posts
My vote is for the Beaver also. The G-62 is a great motor too! It was my first gasser when i got started. You'll love it.........Gene
gene6029 is online now Find More Posts by gene6029
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:29 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,469 Posts
The Beaver is the safe choice. Will fly similar to you have flown. If your bored with hose flyers and looking for some more fun. The Bipe would be a big jump but if you have high rates and low rates. Put your low rates very low. You should be fine. Just remember to come in with a little power. About 10-15% above idle and cut it just as you get ready to touch. It would make it easier if you know an Advanced Flyer at your field to help you. Maybe fly it and get er trimmed. I'm transitioning a friend of mine from trainers to full Aerobatic flight.

It's a handful if your initial flight is on high rates. Low low rates and its easy.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined May 2012
46 Posts
Thanks Dale, finding someone to help should not be a problem, I do have high rates and low rates. I will just have to make a decision and go with it. I also may buy a foam biplane first. I have time, I just finished a cub with a .45 enya and have started a Cessna with a .65ASP, I am having fun with them for sure.