HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:50 PM
TjW
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2006
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
I have carved many a gearbox box to replace a landing gear on my old Vapor. Yeah CA is for keeps. Now I have to find a way to hold the battery on to the mini vapor. On my old vapor when the gear was off i used a piece of shrink tubing and that solved that problem. Just slide the battery in. The shrink was shrunk down to a snug fit.

I don't want to carve up a gearbox etc to put shrink tubing on the Mini Vpaor. My brain cells are working over time to solve this one.

John F. Clarke
It being Christmastime, they are selling a double-sided Velcro about 1/2 inch wide at the hardware store. Cut enough to go around the battery and stick to itself. Trim that to about 1/8" wide. Put a couple of stitches with needle and thread or dental floss to hold it to the stick fuselage or the tray.
The key here is that it wraps around the battery and the tray, so that the Velcro is in shear.

It will probably weigh less than shrink tubing, and the remainder of the roll is massively useful the rest of the year for bundling up wires and so forth.
TjW is offline Find More Posts by TjW
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:16 PM
Senior Moments...I forgot
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
The shrink tubing I uesd it about a 1/4 inch with. Hardly any weight. I think I can live with a few thousands of a gram. It is soo much easier to put a battery on the plane. it is a slip fit and stays in place.

I have it with tiny velcros.

John F/ Clarke
JohnC is offline Find More Posts by JohnC
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:57 PM
Joined Jan 2012
41 Posts
I have had this about 2 weeks, I found that by cutting down the stock prop a little it will COG and fly much better. Then I broke the stock prop, I used a cut down vapor prop, worked great. Then, I got kind of bored because the stock motor is a little weak compared to a vapor, it does work well enough but it is a bit weak. You can get a loop with the stock motor and a cut down prop, but just barely. So, just to see, I took a cub motor that I had used on a vapor, with a cut down prop, put it all together and this little thing flies fantastically, in the living room! Loops at will, lots of power, it takes any size battery the vapor will, and since it is half the size, it works great inside.

If you are used to a vapor, you may not like this, it is a little less powerful.

But, you may have some vapor parts you can use in this. It seems to respond very well to more power, it has a huge wing area and is not too sensitive to weight increases. I used it with the stock battery, a 70, and a 150mah all about halfway between the wing post and the brick, all fly about the same. With the more powerful motor it flys much more like a real plane.

And, the full size vapor will really fly slow with this little battery, better than this will.

I tried to fly this with the full size vapor prop, this little motor just can't turn it very well. I haven't tried it with the stock vapor motor, but if I was a betting man, I'd bet it will work really well.

My 2 cents of input.
kf1111 is offline Find More Posts by kf1111
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Jan 2012
41 Posts
PS
I have tried a bunch of props on the Vapor, I've never really found one that will really work any better overall than the stock one. I cut them down for more speed. You can do this easily, but be very careful not to create an out of balance condition. You can crudely balance it with it installed, push the motor out until the gear is no longer engaged, spin the prop, whichever side of the blade stops low, that is the heavy side, remove some surface, spin again.
kf1111 is offline Find More Posts by kf1111
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:23 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,034 Posts
Kudos to Joe Malinchak again for his Vapor floats, whatever their size.

Nick

Mini Vapor on floats (1 min 38 sec)
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:30 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder View Post
Kudos to Joe Malinchak again for his Vapor floats, whatever their size.

Nick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4_kCQ_JQKw
Really really nice, do you have a link to the drawing for those floats?

-A
AJWoods is offline Find More Posts by AJWoods
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:39 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,940 Posts
MB is that a Ember gearbox i see on your Night Vapor?
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:06 PM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,034 Posts
Thanks MITKID, here are the floats. I used the plans as just a template and adjusted a few things, shouldve made them just a little longer, but they still work plenty well.

TODD,
I dont remember if I changed the gearbox or not, worked great with the J3 motor though whatever it is.

Nick

edit: added the modified plans for the Mini Vapor floats
Last edited by micro_builder; Dec 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, OH, Amesville
Joined Nov 2012
149 Posts
Da-dump, da-dump, da-dump-da-dump-da-dump, dee dee dee deeeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder View Post
I kept waiting for a big fish to think "Dang, thats a BIG BUG... DINNER TIME"
Dan_D is offline Find More Posts by Dan_D
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:29 AM
Senior Moments...I forgot
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
Gribbit gribbit. I am waiting!!!
JohnC is offline Find More Posts by JohnC
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:26 PM
Slope-a-Dope
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
2,036 Posts
""kept waiting for a big fish to think "Dang, thats a BIG BUG... DINNER TIME"

Same here....very impressive (read brave) flying and marine landings. My MV has been under the tree for a week or so. Tomorrow's the opening and maiden. Good thing i have a gym across the street from me ...plus a key to it. heh..heh...MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Steve 0 is offline Find More Posts by Steve 0
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:04 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Got one of these and at first thought I would never be able to fly it in our family room. It is probably 16x16 with vaulted ceilings. After a couple test crashes, I was flying circuits comfortably! With a blizzard warning this will be a blast. Flies great and is a blast to fly indoors in the heat during winter.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:10 AM
4000 posts?!
Joined Jan 2005
4,034 Posts
As long as I dont start drag lining a hook through the water, I think I'll be ok. On the other hand, could be a fun way to go fishing! We got at least an inch of snow yesterday, if the wind dies, I'll have to try the floats out on the snow.

Nick
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:29 PM
Slope-a-Dope
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
2,036 Posts
We got 3" on C-eve and another today. Got to unwrap my MV on Christmas and flew it today. In the gym across the street from me,I managed about half air time to ground time and within 30 minutes and 4 battery changes had decent circles/ovals and a few figure 8's around the gym. The battery did unhook the velcro many times on hard landings. The simulator time really made a difference before actually putting a plane in the air. I'm glad to have gotten a mini indoor slow flyer to start my learning curve on rather than smashing a warbird or other nice RTF on the first day. The MV is very forgiving to noobs like me.
Steve 0 is offline Find More Posts by Steve 0
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:58 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 0 View Post
We got 3" on C-eve and another today. Got to unwrap my MV on Christmas and flew it today. In the gym across the street from me,I managed about half air time to ground time and within 30 minutes and 4 battery changes had decent circles/ovals and a few figure 8's around the gym. The battery did unhook the velcro many times on hard landings. The simulator time really made a difference before actually putting a plane in the air. I'm glad to have gotten a mini indoor slow flyer to start my learning curve on rather than smashing a warbird or other nice RTF on the first day. The MV is very forgiving to noobs like me.
Definitely a good one to start on, it is very resilient to damage because it is so light!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt