Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:35 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
943 Posts
Build Log
Another 1935 Gar Wood Speedster scratch build!

I'm working on my 4th scratch build, a 32" Gar Wood Speedster. This will be my third self-designed model, which was inspired by Ed Crowell's Speedster build log and constructed over the top/side drawings contributed to his thread by frankg.

Because it is kind of a large model (for me at least) and there are a lot of complicated parts, I will CNC cut them from 3mm ply and assemble a 'kit' of parts before I start building.

I like to work out my models in 3D which is sort of a second hobby of mine, so I will include photos of the steps I took to generate the plans. Lots of photos and screenshots to follow in the next week.

The first step is to import the drawings into Rhino, and trace the lines needed to form the hull. Then I use a clever tool called "curve from 2 views" which takes the top view of the bow curve, for instance, and combines it with the side view of the same curve, to produce an accurate 3D curve. After extracting the hull form curves in this manner I used the fair tool to smooth and refine them resulting in a very clean set of curves from which I built the hull form.

Next, I took a look at the engine hatch and cockpit locations, and determined the number and position of formers to best capture the shape, including one at the widest beam to ensure a smooth shape on the final hull.

Then I used an offset of the outer hull surface to trim the formers, allowing for the 2mm balsa sub-planking. The goal is to meet the outer shape of the hull top and bottom with the sub planking in place, then plank on top of that with 2mm mahogany.

I then constructed the keel and added interlocking slots to ensure alignment of the formers, and added a side former to lock in the alignment and eliminate any twist in the formers relative to the keel.
JayJay76 is offline Find More Posts by JayJay76
Last edited by JayJay76; Jun 20, 2014 at 10:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:19 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,778 Posts
This is going to be good. Looking forward to your build.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:54 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
943 Posts
Hi Ed, thanks for stopping by, I have read and re-read your speedster thread, if my finished model looks half as good as yours I'll be happy!

I'm planning to make most of the fitting by hand from brass and then nickel plate them. Its the windshield brackets that worry me, are your windshield brackets available from wet goose? Any idea what they cost?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:43 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,778 Posts
I know Ken Valk of "Wet Goose Marine" has the mold for the wind shield brackets and he also has the air vents and bow light. Here is Ken's email.

Kenvalk@pacbell.net

If you plan on plating the brass parts your self I would suggest using (copy chrome) instead of nickle. The nickle will tarnish and get dark. The pieces I plated with copy chrome well over a year ago are still bright like the day I plated them.

Ed
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:04 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,059 Posts
Great start!
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:33 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
943 Posts
I emailed Ken for a pricelist. I might go the chroming route or perhaps just polished brass with some clear lacquer. I'm not such a scale purist and I love the shine of polished brass. I also thought about casting myself, pewter or white metal, then copy chrome. I wonder if they sell that or an equivalent here.

Thanks for popping in Woodybob! The cad modelling is the easy part, its finishing the mahogany that worries me. I have one other planked mahogany boat under my belt and the planking was a breeze and came out awesome, but i did have a few issues with spar varnish, this time i think i will seal and level with west systems and then build up with catalyzed auto clear coat.

I'll post a couple shots of my cartoon runabout this weekend in case you are interested. I have plans to post for that one but she's not as pretty a design as the Gar Wood.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:02 PM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
Is anyone thinking about selling kits.
I would buy one in a heartbeat!
Giovanni
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:46 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunworksco View Post
Is anyone thinking about selling kits.
I would buy one in a heartbeat!
Giovanni
Check This out.

http://www.legendmodelboats.com/miss_behave.htm

Ed
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:59 PM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
Thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:13 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
943 Posts
For any interested scratch-builders, I will be posting my plans here once I know everything fits together, including laser cutting patterns for 3mm ply.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:44 PM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,573 Posts
Subscribed!

What took you so long Jason ?!?!

Pete
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:07 PM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
I would like to build a 1/4th scale version.
48" length.
Giovanni
Last edited by sunworksco; Sep 21, 2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:43 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
943 Posts
Thanks for checking in Pete! the cartoon runabout is mostly done, but the cooling intake doesnt work and ive burned two motors trying to sort it out. meanwhile ive started this project!

Hi Giovanni, i will post a set of basic plans with stations you can scale to any size, and ill prepare a set at 48" as pdf for you when i get a chance.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,676 Posts
HEY ED!!! Did you ever finish your speedster? If you did have you had your shake down cruise? It has been awhile since you posted on your speedster thread.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:22 PM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
Thank you!
Kind regards,
Giovanni.