Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
The most important question is if she comes with the plane

-Brian
She popped right out of my Crack Pitts delivery box, but because of her sartorial incompetence (two sets of undies? Please!) I had to send her packing right away. Besides, she was totally in my way -- I had a plane to build!

"Worst clothing ability. Evahar."
\
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:59 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,587 Posts
Learned a bit about my Beast this morning. Yesterday I landed in a bit of a hurry due to slow joggers/walkers on my runway. Nosed over and didn't kill the throttle fast enough. Ground about half of the spinner? (nose cone?) off. Repaired it very nicely with a bit of Spackle, couldn't have been more than a gram. Rounded and smoothed out nicely. Checked it by spinning the prop before taxi, looked great. Plane did not fly well. Very wobbly. Pulled the spinner off, plane flew normal. Guess the AS3X does not like vibration at all. Been flying fixed wing for 3 months now and this will be my first parts order. With helis I would have already ordered enough parts to build a new helicopter.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
416 Posts
Bought a B3D couple of wks ago from LHS.
Checked everything ran through 2 batteries on the bench all cool.
Took it out had ESC cut off after 2 minutes. Another battery ESC cut off and loss of elevator.
Tore off the lower wing. Called HH told to send it back.
Email today sending new plane (hopefully with a functioning brick)
Yea! to HH customer service!
vrex is offline Find More Posts by vrex
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:38 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrex View Post
Bought a B3D couple of wks ago from LHS.
Checked everything ran through 2 batteries on the bench all cool.
Took it out had ESC cut off after 2 minutes. Another battery ESC cut off and loss of elevator.
Tore off the lower wing. Called HH told to send it back.
Email today sending new plane (hopefully with a functioning brick)
Yea! to HH customer service!
was that UK or US Horizon????
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:02 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
........ Guess the AS3X does not like vibration at all........Mike
Mike,

You are correct. An out-of-balance prop will cause vibration in the roll-axis, which can drive the roll gyro nuts. If the vibration is bad enough, it may affect the other ases, as well. Just like what happens to FBL controllers when they're subjected to vibration

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:25 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,587 Posts
Made another hasty landing with lack of concentration due to park dogs and sidewalk walkers (it my runway dang it!). Tore the wing and need to foam-safe CA glue. The kicker stuff they sell, isn't it just an alkaline solution to set the CA? In heli-land we always used baking soda for kicker. What do you guys think? Buy the kicker for $5 or spray some baking soda water on the glue joint?
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:15 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Made another hasty landing with lack of concentration due to park dogs and sidewalk walkers (it my runway dang it!). Tore the wing and need to foam-safe CA glue. The kicker stuff they sell, isn't it just an alkaline solution to set the CA? In heli-land we always used baking soda for kicker. What do you guys think? Buy the kicker for $5 or spray some baking soda water on the glue joint?
Mike
I try to avoid kicker as much as I can unless I'm in a rush. Better to use just the right amount of glue, and let nature(humidity) and time do it's job. BTW, yes you're right, just water/baking soda does the trick.

But one of the biggest advantage of buying the shelf kicker is the smell!!! They now add scent to them, so when you're locked down in your hobby room, that's a huge plus. Hobby King currently sell one with such an awesome strawberry scent, you almost want to spray some in your mouth after it became totally dry from trying to glue together those 200 parts that used to be an airplane!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:32 PM
Where'd my money go?
VA
Joined Jun 2008
577 Posts
Hey guys,
I am thinking about getting a Beast 3D. I want a micro and love 3D, any comments or concerns?
I've read reviews on the HH site about some guys having issues with the AS3X system. Have those issues been resolved or is it nothing to worry about?
Thanks!
rawr404 is offline Find More Posts by rawr404
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:51 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawr404 View Post
Hey guys,
I am thinking about getting a Beast 3D. I want a micro and love 3D, any comments or concerns?
I've read reviews on the HH site about some guys having issues with the AS3X system. Have those issues been resolved or is it nothing to worry about?
Thanks!
This plane is awesome, one of my favorites for sure. It can be flown in limited space and is an aerobatic machine.

I bought from the original batch, but my understanding is some of the latest runs have been experiencing QC issues with the servos (as have other recent UM aircraft from HH).

I would hate to have that dissuade you from such an awesome plane, but you need to know.

I am not sure if the servo issues have been rectified on this plane yet, I think the Carbon Cub SS "V2" models which had servo issues seems to have less or no servo issues now.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:03 PM
Where'd my money go?
VA
Joined Jun 2008
577 Posts
Thanks grovey,
What do you guys do about the batteries? I don't want to buy another charger but the micro plugs seem to be different than the standard JST balance plug...
Does anyone use the HobbyKing versions? Plug modifications?
rawr404 is offline Find More Posts by rawr404
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:10 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Thanks grovey,
What do you guys do about the batteries? I don't want to buy another charger but the micro plugs seem to be different than the standard JST balance plug...
Does anyone use the HobbyKing versions? Plug modifications?
The best batteries are sold by RCBabbel here on the forum, they are custom hyperion packs, very light! As to the plug all of the HH UMX micros use a special UMX plug that is both a discharge lead AND a balance tap. Glenn at rc-connectors makes adapters and parallel charge cables. There are a couple other places too that make the adapters. I'd strongly suggest getting high quality pack and not the HK stuff. The plane performs so much better with strong packs.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:13 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
The best batteries are sold by RCBabbel here on the forum, they are custom hyperion packs, very light! As to the plug all of the HH UMX micros use a special UMX plug that is both a discharge lead AND a balance tap. Glenn at rc-connectors makes adapters and parallel charge cables. There are a couple other places too that make the adapters. I'd strongly suggest getting high quality pack and not the HK stuff. The plane performs so much better with strong packs.

-Brian
+1 on the BabbelBatts

I have bought a bunch of Hyp 240s from RCBabbel. If you are so inclined you may as well get some GWS 5030 props too.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:27 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,861 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys,
It is difficult to do 3D stuff because of limited control surface size and I don't know what else. Hovering is very difficult. There are just a handful of people that can do a sustained hover. But it is a blast anyway. I love this plane! Especially if you get one that will run on 3S without hitting OTP. Most seem to run on 3S with the addition of extra cooling, sometimes as simple as opening the cowl around the prop hub, but sometimes it's as complex as putting a little heat sink on the FETs.

In any case, this plane on 3S is one of the most incredible planes I've flow of any size!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
I just got mine today and it was a basic kit. No batteries, no charger.... I'm now waiting on a charger to come in. They had two batteries in stock. I cant wait to fly this little thing!
Chris Mu is offline Find More Posts by Chris Mu
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:53 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
543 Posts
hi guys,

Anyone know if it is safe to replace the JST balancing lead on a regular lipo battery with a umx lead then charge through using the stock Beast charger, a charger that charges through the balancer, or by using a multi-port umx harness that does balancing? i would be splicing old UMX leads on to the JST leads so no crimping is required. I'd normally ask in a battery thread but this thread is full of really good advice specific to UMX 2 cell batts. If this would work it would save me from using a micro deans to umx adapter when flying and would let me charge the batteries using my umx harness from rc-connectors alongsicde stock batts

thanks in advance.
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato