Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:47 PM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
348 Posts
Should I try one or go with what is known to work? Bad thing is we are putting the plane a risk on an unproven piece of equipment. Although Castle products are usually pretty solid.
smithder is offline Find More Posts by smithder
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:51 PM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
348 Posts
Never mind...

Looks awesome but only good for 6S

Any good budget setups running on 8S?
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:59 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,816 Posts
I really like the Hacker A60-5S for 8S, but at $214.00 it isn't cheap...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:00 AM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
348 Posts
Defiantly not in my price range...
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:14 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Aug 2004
9,266 Posts
honestly the ice 100 is pretty proven, all of mine are rock solid. wouldnt hesitate to run it in anything. ive heard good things about ztw as well, but ive never run one. i LOVE the programability of the castle ice speed controls. worth the money IMO. the motor is as well. the motor and esc are VITAL to how the plane performs. Really the motor, esc, and servos make all the difference in the world. I finally convinced my dad to pull out his power hd servos and his old hitec 5645 servos. As soon as he put 7955tg's all around, he comfortably hovered and harriered around for the first time. it makes a world of difference, as well as the motor/esc combo. Invest once and you will reap the benefits. the motrolfly isnt much cheaper than the hacker, the 4325 is $170.
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:19 AM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
348 Posts
I'm with ya. I got good servos and while the motrolfly is a pricey bugger ill prob go with it. I plan on using this plane to try and get my flying skills improved. I have high hopes for it.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:21 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
honestly the ice 100 is pretty proven, all of mine are rock solid. wouldnt hesitate to run it in anything. ive heard good things about ztw as well, but ive never run one. i LOVE the programability of the castle ice speed controls. worth the money IMO. the motor is as well. the motor and esc are VITAL to how the plane performs. Really the motor, esc, and servos make all the difference in the world. I finally convinced my dad to pull out his power hd servos and his old hitec 5645 servos. As soon as he put 7955tg's all around, he comfortably hovered and harriered around for the first time. it makes a world of difference, as well as the motor/esc combo. Invest once and you will reap the benefits. the motrolfly isnt much cheaper than the hacker, the 4325 is $170.
Agreed!! Castle ICE100's have been rock solid for me!! And good servos, will make a world of difference....My 74" Edge with HS-7955TG's is amazing....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:23 AM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
348 Posts
The 7954s should do it right?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:23 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
Joined Aug 2004
9,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithder View Post
I'm with ya. I got good servos and while the motrolfly is a pricey bugger ill prob go with it. I plan on using this plane to try and get my flying skills improved. I have high hopes for it.
you wont be disappointed. IMO (that really means next to nothing) the 71 slick on a 4325 is one of the best flying if not the best flying plane in existence. its a convenient size but flies big and is confidence inspiring. hope you enjoy it as much as i enjoyed mine!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:24 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
Joined Aug 2004
9,266 Posts
Quote:
The 7954s should do it right?
definitely. they are more or less the 7955tg's with steel gears. there may be some other minor differences, but those servos are MORE than adequate
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:50 AM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
you wont be disappointed. IMO (that really means next to nothing) the 71 slick on a 4325 is one of the best flying if not the best flying plane in existence. its a convenient size but flies big and is confidence inspiring. hope you enjoy it as much as i enjoyed mine!
You really sell this plane...

I've been going back and and forth on this for several weeks. I bought a used 50cc Pilot Extra 330 thinking I wanted a bigger plane and first gasser, but after putting a few flights on it I think it is way too big of a step for me to use as a tool to become a better pilot. I'm hoping the comfort level is higher with the Slick. Being electric at least I will be accustom to the power supply. I had a 72 Extra about a year ago and kind of felt is was over my head at that time, but now I think I am going to be settling in on the 70" size air frame. I have the 50cc sold and will be ordering the Slick. Hopefully I can force myself to practice down low.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:58 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
Joined Aug 2004
9,266 Posts
Quote:
You really sell this plane...

I've been going back and and forth on this for several weeks. I bought a used 50cc Pilot Extra 330 thinking I wanted a bigger plane and first gasser, but after putting a few flights on it I think it is way too big of a step for me to use as a tool to become a better pilot. I'm hoping the comfort level is higher with the Slick. Being electric at least I will be accustom to the power supply. I had a 72 Extra about a year ago and kind of felt is was over my head at that time, but now I think I am going to be settling in on the 70" size air frame. I have the 50cc sold and will be ordering the Slick. Hopefully I can force myself to practice down low.
just think about how much less damage happens if you dumb thumb it from 2 feet off the ground as compared to 25 feet. My advice is just do it. The first time I tail touched in a hover my legs were shaking like crazy. once i did it, i thought to myself "thats it?" and did 3 more the next flight. its a great feeling, and this plane (really any 3dhs planes) just make you feel comfortable immediately.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:11 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,415 Posts
7954sh are HV servos that spec at 403oz/in @ .12sec running 7.4volt and the 7955 are 6v servos that push 333oz/in @ .15sec at 6.0volt. They 54's are faster and stronger. 7955's have titanium gears and the 7954s are steal. I have the 7954s and they are anything the slick ever needed. Chief aircraft has 4@ $75 each and until midnight they had a 3% off black friday sale.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:15 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
7954sh are HV servos that spec at 403oz/in @ .12sec running 7.4volt and the 7955 are 6v servos that push 333oz/in @ .15sec at 6.0volt. They 54's are faster and stronger. 7955's have titanium gears and the 7954s are steal. I have the 7954s and they are anything the slick ever needed. Chief aircraft has 4@ $75 each and until midnight they had a 3% off black friday sale.
Sorry to disagree with you, but almost everybody on these forums that runs HS-7955TG's runs them on 7.4 volts. I am running them in my 89" Slick, and am running them off of two 2S 25C 2700mAH packs, run through a "Power Safe" receiver with no reduction in voltage. Granted, Hitec RCD does not advertise them as HV servos, but the folks there have told people there is no problem running them that way.

Please check out this page, where there was a bit of discussion about this...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:30 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,415 Posts
Not disagreeing... correcting me. I don't know this, good to know. Do you know the specs on 7.4v?
I run my 7954s on 8.0v regulated are they acceptable at that voltage?
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes