Old Jun 29, 2007, 01:47 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,221 Posts
Cool
In the newspaper!

Hey gang

One of the reasons I took that photo of me next to all my AP equipment is that I was hoping to submit it to our local newspaper. Spurred on by Paul's (English Electric) recent feature in the Surrey Advertiser, I filled in the 'Email the Editor' form on the Esher News and Mail website, explaining what I do, and whether they would be interested in doing an article on me. A few days later my mobile rang and lo and behold, it was a guy from the newspaper wanting to do a feature on me! A 15 minute telephone interview later and it was all done and dusted!

I sent in some hi-res versions of my best portfolio shots (the Claremont school shots, Guildford Cathedral, Shipley Windmill, and a high-altitude one of my home) and the Editor will be picking the ones he likes best for the article

The article is due to be published next Wednesday at the front of the Business section (possibly - not confirmed yet). However ....... today I walked past the office for the newspaper while I was in town, and I thought it was worth asking whether I could have a look at the article. To my joy, not only did he let me look at it (just the wording though, it hasn't been formatted yet), but he let me keep it too!

So here it is, the wording from my up-coming article

An enterprising university student from Cobham has combined his two passions to start an unusual business venture.

Twenty-year-old David Hogg founded Horizon Imaging a year ago, offering aerial photography with a difference – the pictures are taken by a camera fitted on to a small model helicopter, which he controls from the ground.

The venture fuses his two main interests – he has been flying radio-controlled model aircraft as a hobby since 1998, and developed a fascination for digital photography when he was 14 years old.

This form of aerial photograph has numerous advantages over traditional operations involving full-size aircraft.

For instance, manned aeroplanes or helicopters are restricted to fly at 1,000 ft or above over residential areas, whereas David can manoeuvre his machine to any height he wishes – making for a clearer picture and a better perspective.

David's method is also cheaper than conventional aerial photography and pictures can be framed from the ground via a video downlink before being taken.

His work has so far attracted attention from a variety of businesses – such as golf courses, hotels, marinas, horseracing circuits and estate agents.

"There is a huge potential market available, in both residential and business areas." David said. "Estate agents are particularly suited to this type of photography, as I can capture a house from any angle in a fairly short space of time."

Also, for large public events, or in situations where flying the helicopter is considered unsafe, David utilises a telescopic mast with a camera on top, which can be extended from anywhere between 7ft and 50ft.

Photographs can then be taken in a similar fashion, via remote control from the ground.

Currently in his second year of an electronic engineering degree at the University of Surrey, David hopes the business will 'take off' into a full-time career once he graduates next summer.

He said: "I am hoping to build a solid client base in the not too distance future. I have always been an entrepreneur and would definitely like to run my own business.

"The technology is developing enough to allow people like me to do this. I am really passionate about what I am doing, and it is a way to earn money doing something I love."

If you would like to see more of David's work, or to make a booking, visit www.horizonimaging.net. Alternatively, call him direction on 07792 139506.

Quite well written I thought Although I'm not sure I would consider my Logo 'small' ..... at least he didn't say 'toy helicopter'!! Anyway, I'm really pleased with the way it came out, and can't wait to see it in print

The 'Esher News and Mail's sister publication is the 'Cobham News and Mail', and often, content is duplicated across both newspapers, so you never know, I might be able to kill two birds with one stone (or two regions with one article )!

Will update this thread when it's published

Cheers,

David
Hogster is online now Find More Posts by Hogster
Last edited by Hogster; Jun 29, 2007 at 05:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2007, 01:57 PM
Channel 15 now open!
boulder co
Joined May 2007
114 Posts
good for you...
840193 is offline Find More Posts by 840193
Old Jun 29, 2007, 02:12 PM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,440 Posts
Wow more free advertising! That’s wonderful news see if the phone starts ringing!

Gray
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
Old Jun 29, 2007, 02:22 PM
A new day, a new gadget
Brighton, UK
Joined May 2006
571 Posts
Well done David
Garry s is offline Find More Posts by Garry s
Old Jun 29, 2007, 02:39 PM
Baytown, Tx
Joined Jun 2007
316 Posts
Congrats!
APdude07 is online now Find More Posts by APdude07
Old Jun 29, 2007, 02:55 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
Well done Dave. Great to see you and your toy chopper have had the press they deserve

Mark
MarkJayne is offline Find More Posts by MarkJayne
Old Jun 29, 2007, 03:09 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
Congratulations David!

My wife is a keen amateur photographer and finds that it's reasonably easy to get her photos published in the local paper once or twice a year. Typically it's earth-shatteringly important events like "local guide group hold fancy dress evening" or "toddler group pedal for charity" ;-)

If you email them a photo of a local event, along with a few lines of text, they'll often use it instead of paying someone to actually go and research a story. So long as they remember to give you credit it would be a nice bit of free advertising.

Quote:
I'm not sure I would consider my Logo 'small'
If I were you, I'd be pushing words like 'small', 'electric' or 'battery powered' at every opportunity - because that's your 'Unique Selling Point' over normal aerial photography, and it sounds safer.

Quote:
such as gold courses
Wow, I bet they look nice and shiny from the air :-)
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Jun 29, 2007, 03:22 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Way to go David!

And when I think of the trouble I've gone to a few times to stay OUT of the paper.

Ira
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Jun 29, 2007, 03:33 PM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,815 Posts
Congratulations David! Good publicity...!
I guess you don't have to be classed as an UAV as we do in Sweden as soon as we try to go commercial with R/C AP...

/Bjorn
icebear is offline Find More Posts by icebear
Old Jun 29, 2007, 03:56 PM
Joined Feb 2007
428 Posts
Great job once again! I will admit, the opening line has a certain ring to it It makes you wonder what your passions are

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett
If I were you, I'd be pushing words like 'small', 'electric' or 'battery powered' at every opportunity - because that's your 'Unique Selling Point' over normal aerial photography, and it sounds safer.
Personally, I wouldn't, unless you want to charge less Please know that is just my opinion, and I'm sorry to disagree on this. I have felt that too many times we are quick to make it sound like a "toy" in the name of safety. Instead, consider talking about how the compact design enables this or that. Then emphasize the skill required and safety considerations you take into account...which is why you don't see "just anyone" doing this. You have a precision piece of machinery, and are an operator who has taken the time to learn the skills needed to do what you are doing. Is that not the truth?

Again, great job...as always!
ap4me is offline Find More Posts by ap4me
Old Jun 29, 2007, 03:56 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Well done David... Nice work...

Look forward to hearing how much interest you get from that...

Terry.
chargenut is online now Find More Posts by chargenut
Old Jun 29, 2007, 04:50 PM
Flying Kiwi
Wellington, NZ
Joined Apr 2005
778 Posts
nice to get some exposure hoggie....im sure you can work that to your advantage.
PS typo 'gold course' ? [wish I had one of those]....well done + good luck.
booma is offline Find More Posts by booma
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:28 AM
Phoenix
Joined Mar 2003
859 Posts
Oops. Published that phone number that has been so carefully pixelated in all the photos of your gear.

Tom
TStokes is offline Find More Posts by TStokes
Old Jun 30, 2007, 01:13 AM
United States, ID, Ketchum
Joined Dec 2003
1,201 Posts
Glad to see someone on this forum has the gonads to be public about his A/P business and even promote it to the world. Good job, Hope you get lots of publicity and make some well deserved cash!
QuietRiot is offline Find More Posts by QuietRiot
Old Jun 30, 2007, 11:46 AM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietRiot
Glad to see someone on this forum has the gonads to be public about his A/P business and even promote it to the world. Good job, Hope you get lots of publicity and make some well deserved cash!
Riot,

David is in the U.K. and the government there seems to be a bit more forward thinking about the potential benefits of AP than here in the U.S. at the moment.
His activities are completely legal and I suspect if this were not the case David would be doing something else.
In business disregarding the rules does not show an excess of gonads, just a shortage of good sense.
$00.2

Ira
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira