HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2007, 11:08 AM
Dan Murphy
USA, MA, Hopkinton
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
Discussion
So, what are the symptoms of balsa dust allergy?

I was working on my Gambler yesterday, sanding the TE, which reduces a 3/16" spar to 3/32", and creates a lot of dust. After I started, I decided to wear a mask, but it was a pretty chincy one that I don't think is very effective.

Today, I'm not feeling too hot - headache that seems impervious to whatever drugs I throw at it, and slight nausea. Maybe it's something else, but I thought I remember hearing people had similar symtoms.

Aside from a full-blown dust collection system, is there a mask that works well? I don't do enough building (yet) to put in a dust collection system.

Thanks,
Merlinmurph
merlinmurph is offline Find More Posts by merlinmurph
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2007, 11:18 AM
West London
Joined May 2006
147 Posts
Sounds like dust inhailation to me, makes you feel real rough headache, nausea and a sore throat as well, I when ever possible wear a mask and also sand outside.
londoner100 is offline Find More Posts by londoner100
Old Apr 09, 2007, 11:40 AM
Somerville, MA
Joined Aug 2002
511 Posts
Always go for the razor plane when you need to go through a lot of wood. I did my Gambler trailing edges with the razor plane, only sanding the last 1/32" or so. Lots of wooden curly flakes, but minimal dust.

Maybe it's not dust allergies, though: I've heard there's some bug going around. I've had a nasty head cold with similar symptoms for a couple of days now... Maybe I passed it on to you last Saturday at the flying field!

Best,
Al.
alk509 is offline Find More Posts by alk509
Old Apr 09, 2007, 11:52 AM
RobertTHaas
Joined Dec 2004
436 Posts
i have to say, its the accelerator or kicker that makes me sick.. that stuff is proably very very bad for you. i try to never spray it, i use it as a dropper. i ware a mask when sanding balsa.
RobertTHaas is offline Find More Posts by RobertTHaas
Old Apr 09, 2007, 02:29 PM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
Bought a bottle of accelerator once.....red the label comming home. ".......this product is known to cause cancer...."

WHAT? for some obvious reason I decided not to use it. Its laying around somewhere slowly leaking fumes to my workshop-air.
But I have a feeling other Manufactures of accelerator should write the same on their bottlelabels?

Kim
kimhey is offline Find More Posts by kimhey
Old Apr 09, 2007, 04:51 PM
Dan Murphy
USA, MA, Hopkinton
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
Al,

You're right - a balsa plane is on the "to buy" list. Maybe a better fitting mask, too.

BTW, a little off-topic - Everybody keep a heads-up for alk's upcoming Apogee Sport build thread! He got his kit on Sat, so stay tuned for 3:00 AM posts on his progress.

Murph (feeling a little better than this AM)
Old Apr 09, 2007, 08:40 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
RAZOR PLANE!

Balsa dust makes people react differently, but I've gotten the sore throat and dry itchy eyes a few times after just sanding balsa.

I cant stress it enough how easy a razor plane takes off .006 inch shaves of balsa, all uniform, the whole length of the stock. It does take a little practice, but the good news is it doesnt make any dust while your learning.

I DO NOT recommend the Master Airscrew 6 dollar jobby for beginners, as it took a lot of fine tuning to get it to cut straight. Also, it is quite wide, and doesnt fit many applications.

The best one so far that i've seen is-

http://www.skykingrcproducts.com/acc...zor_plane.html

A fellow was good enough to talk about his advernture in tuning this guy here-

http://www.smallflyingarts.com/cgi-b...996610/106#106

This one uses disposable razor blades, so it's easy to get a fresh edge.

After getting close with the razor plane, a few quick swipes with a sanding block and your done- less dust in your shop and healthier lungs.

Dean
steelhead is offline Find More Posts by steelhead
Old Apr 09, 2007, 11:02 PM
Somerville, MA
Joined Aug 2002
511 Posts
I use the Master Airscrew plane and I like it. It's the only plane I've ever used, though, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing!

Best,
Al.
alk509 is offline Find More Posts by alk509
Old Apr 10, 2007, 06:53 AM
Dan Murphy
USA, MA, Hopkinton
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
Thanks for the input, steelhead, I'll take a look.

Murph (who is feeling great now)
Old Apr 10, 2007, 08:09 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,188 Posts
I've developed a CA allergy. I believe that's much more common than balsa dust allergies. FYI.
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Apr 10, 2007, 09:27 AM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
You should buy a respirator, they are about $30.00 for the good ones (Bette filters), you might want to get an Air Purifier - they cost less than a shop type, you can place it in close proximity to where you are sanding and with the respirator, it should help. leave the air purifier running for a while after you are done sanding, it should have a HEPA filter... the respirator and air purifier can be bought at the HD for less than $100.00 combined.

Air purifier
http://www.airpurifiers.com/

Respirator
http://www.professionalequipment.com...k-respirators/

(I have not purchased from any of these sites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph
I was working on my Gambler yesterday, sanding the TE, which reduces a 3/16" spar to 3/32", and creates a lot of dust. After I started, I decided to wear a mask, but it was a pretty chincy one that I don't think is very effective.

Today, I'm not feeling too hot - headache that seems impervious to whatever drugs I throw at it, and slight nausea. Maybe it's something else, but I thought I remember hearing people had similar symtoms.

Aside from a full-blown dust collection system, is there a mask that works well? I don't do enough building (yet) to put in a dust collection system.

Thanks,
Merlinmurph
Jose E Bruzual is offline Find More Posts by Jose E Bruzual
Old Apr 10, 2007, 10:17 AM
The Evil Twin
Garden City, GA
Joined Feb 2004
1,308 Posts
I bought a 3M respirator at Home Depot for $30. It works great, complete seal and reasonably comfortable. I strongly recommend using one when working with CA, epoxy and balsa dust. I've heard that once you develop an allergy you have it for life...
Matthew Binder is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Binder
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:14 AM
Tallinn, Estonia
Joined Feb 2004
660 Posts
Bought a 3M 7503 half-mask today and couple of dust filters. Those small disposable masks have such a bad fit that I'm afraid they do not work very well.

My main concern was dust, but can someone advice what kind of filter should I use for CA/epoxy? There are many different filters available.

regards,
Arne
arneansper is offline Find More Posts by arneansper
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:58 AM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
You want to get a multi gas and vapor respirator... I am not sure if you can get away by buying the cheap one and then adding the gas/vapor filters...

Jose
Jose E Bruzual is offline Find More Posts by Jose E Bruzual
Old Apr 10, 2007, 07:32 PM
Lift is good
Olympic Penninsula, WA
Joined Dec 2001
719 Posts
Symptoms of CA allergic reaction are very similar to the flu...and often lasts as long after exposure. I use both vapor respirator and vacuum system (dust collector hose mounted over work table to suck fumes out of shop to collector sitting in utility room). The odorless CA's also cause reaction by the way....at least for me.
Rayven is offline Find More Posts by Rayven