SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 26, 2002, 11:41 AM
Loveland, OH
Joined Aug 2000
264 Posts
Hornet main shaft: steel or carbon

Hi guys,

I think I might have bend the steel shaft of my hornet (can't tell yet since I also stripped the motor gear). I am looking to replace this but it seems more stores carry the carbon shaft. What is better steel or carbon. Who might carry the steel shaft. I am not ready to upgrade to a hollow shaft or titanium since I will probably need to replace it again real soon

Thanks,

Marcel.
nimwegen is offline Find More Posts by nimwegen
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2002, 11:44 AM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Take look here Marcel:
http://www.deeteeenterprises.com/ms_...rade.parts.php

Walt's Stainless Steel hollow mast is the way to go.
Another alternative is at:
http://www.helihobby.com/html/hornet_mods.html

Have fun - Cheers - Boyd

Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Aug 26, 2002, 12:02 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Jan 2001
867 Posts
STEEL,

The carbon shafts just don't cut it. Get the steel, either solid or hollow, or of course titanium.

Cheers
John
johntbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johntbyrne
Old Aug 26, 2002, 06:33 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,785 Posts
Which is better, titanium or steel.

Is titanium really harder to bend than steel?
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Dec 01, 2003, 11:27 PM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
935 Posts
Hi,

My main shaft has a slight bend in it which translated to very large vibration problem...still okay to fly if I am desperate but not efficient.

I bought a replacement ms composit stock steel shaft....I also found a precision ground shaft from a local hobby store with the same diameter. It's made by North West Short Line or www.nwsl.com . The part no. is 2030-4 3.00mm or .1181 of an inch with a tolerance of +/- 0.0002". It's designed for hobbyist who make their own motor shafts. I found this at a train hobby store. The cost was 1/4 of the new stock shaft in Canadian Dollars. Of course you have to cut it to length and drill the holes for the retaining pins.

Cheers,

Gord.
gwong is offline Find More Posts by gwong
Last edited by gwong; Dec 20, 2003 at 12:06 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2003, 09:07 AM
USA, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined May 2003
917 Posts
You will find the stock MS steel shafts to be quite fragile. The MS hardened shafts (for the CP) or the aftermarket titanium or hollow stainless steel shafts are all more durable.
hornet_dave is offline Find More Posts by hornet_dave
Old Dec 20, 2003, 12:11 AM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
935 Posts
yep...I just bent my 3rd shaft...I am going to try my home made shaft and see what happens.

Gord.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 02:42 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
Moving to Micros.

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Dec 20, 2003, 06:28 AM
wintergarden-orlando florida/brighton england
Joined Jan 2003
828 Posts
if you want to see if its bent just try roling it on a bit of flat glass.iv put a shaft from a picolo on mine its slightly longer and makes it a little more stable it requires only a few adjustments.
charlieuk is offline Find More Posts by charlieuk
Old Dec 21, 2003, 09:01 PM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
935 Posts
Hi All,

Well as per my previous post I bent another stock ms hornet main shaft again. So instead of forking out some more $$$. I bought a 8" hobby drill press for an incredible $49.00 canadian dollars or $1.50 us... :-) Plus a couple of no. 60 size drill bits, a drill vise and made my own main shaft. As per my previous post, I used a 3mm stainless steel shaft designed for electric motors. Cut the shaft to length, drilled the holes and it's all good. Hopefully it will last longer than the stock ones...will let you know how they hold up...if they are okay...I plan on making a few spares...anyone that would like to try one...let me...and can mail one to you....the cutting, drilling and finishing of the shaft is all eye co-ordination (eco) not CNC so it may not be as perfect as the stock ones but I had fun making them. My next task is to rebuild the tail shaft using 2mm steel shaft. The 2mm shaft is made by the same company in Seattle. Let you know how they turn out.

Cheers,

Gord.
Last edited by gwong; Dec 22, 2003 at 03:47 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 03:54 PM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
935 Posts
Hi All,

This is how I made a tail shaft for my ms hornet.

I bought a 2mm motor shaft stock from www.nwsl.com part no. 2020-4, comes in a package of 2, each shaft is about 6 inches long. I cut a piece to length about 36mm and polished it up with some fine emery paper and dressed up the ends using a high speed rotary tool. The bearings slide on smooth after polishing the shaft. Here is pic of my homemade shaft next to the stock one. Sorry if the pic is a little dark but I don't have good lighting in my office.

Will let you know how it performs....

Cheers,

Gord.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:44 PM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
935 Posts
Hi All,

Quick update, with the new tail rotor shaft and cutting the protrusion on the bevel gear E028. I got rid of the tail rotor vibrations...yeah !!!!. Also the homemade main shaft is running true as well.

Regards,

Gord.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 02:23 AM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
935 Posts
Quick update on homemade main and tail shaft.

So far so good, I have a few minor tip overs which would have warped the stock ms hornet main shaft. My home made one is still running true. The cost is a only a few bucks and your time to cut and drill the holes.

The home made tail shaft is also performing as expected.

Cheers,

Gord.