SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 19, 2004, 05:57 AM
Burnley, Lancashire, England
Joined May 2004
65 Posts
Making Moulds of Hulls...help !!!

Hi Folks,

Im wanting to branch out into an area that I've never dabbled in before and was wondering if anyone could point me towards the right direction???

I am wanting to try making a hull from a mould - but have never done this and am not sure what the process involves - does anyone know of any websites etc that have good non techno babble language/diagrams, possibly step by step instructions, that a 5 year old could understand??? ((IE ME !!!)) or even any books etc that I can get hold of?

I have a part constructed Titanic hull, built out of aeroply and marine ply that is in 1-72nd scale and in two sections (Bow + Stern). It was my intention to build it up in the usual way - but now the hull sides are complete, it's just too heavy to handle (It's going to be rc so needs to be able to be manhandled).

I have wanted to find out how to make hulls from fibreglass for years, so it then occured to me that If I knew how to do this, I could save a lot of weight - See what Im getting at??

I hope I've explained myself ok - I have a few pictures of the hull sections that I can post if anyones interested.

Please if anyone can help, drop me a line - before either my sanity or my back gives out!!!!!!

English Nige
[/FONT]
English Nige is offline Find More Posts by English Nige
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:03 AM
Western Australia
Joined Jun 2004
750 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274180 <<< thats the first time i made a mold and fibre glassed it, and i only used polyurethane and 6 coats of candle wax
_James_ is offline Find More Posts by _James_
Last edited by _James_; Oct 19, 2004 at 07:05 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:53 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,379 Posts
That is going to be a big model of the Titanic.

Here is something similar to James method.
http://www.hrfsbo.com/fireboat/hull.htm
http://www.hrfsbo.com/fireboat/
John does a bit of over kill, with the fiberglass, as his hull is really thick.

If you can laquer,seal and sand your plywood hull, you should be able to get a couple of good coats of automotive wax on the hull and that should release the original from your fiberglass coating. You probably want to do lay at least two layers of glass and then start finishing. And expect to put some frames back into the interior for stiffness, however, the frames will not need to be thicker than 6mm.
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Oct 23, 2004, 02:55 AM
Joined May 2004
65 Posts
Re making moulds of Hulls

Hi Umi,
Thanks for that - I'll give it a whirl. Im a total novice when it comes to mould making, been modelling since I was 6 and never got round to doing this !!!

Thanks again,
Nige
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:17 AM
Joined May 2004
65 Posts
Mould Making Help

Hi everyone,
I have included a few pics here of the Titanic I am working on. It's still in the rough stages yet and it's from this that I would like to take a casting in fibreglass.
The centre prop will of course be taken off and the prop shaft temporarilly sealed up.
I was going to carefully cut the piece away that supports the rudder in one "L" shaped section to include the curved piece under the centre prop, and cast this seperately.

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to how to cast a hull I would be very very grateful.

The previous posts have helped a lot and I think Im beginning to see the first glimmers of how it is done !!!
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:19 AM
Joined May 2004
65 Posts
Re mould making

Her are some more pics showing a bit more detail.