HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2014, 05:54 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,256 Posts
They are all 'clip on' - that means the connector.
The black 'thing' is the base loaded part.

You could just change one and use the PCB one for lateral. (long base antenna for vertical)
eg have the PCB lateral where you have now, and run the two long base loaded to the rear somewhere, to mount vertical.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2014, 09:58 AM
Learning to Ride Dragons
Joined Feb 2013
567 Posts
Why do you rate the PCB antenna as the worst? Maybe you mean just for placement within an aircraft body. For proper placement external to the body, every analysis I've read says they have a significant range improvement.
SkyrimDragon is offline Find More Posts by SkyrimDragon
Old Oct 08, 2014, 06:46 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,256 Posts
When I started getting X8R's I used the PCB antennas as they came. Right away I was getting lots of "Low RSSI' warnings, from the Taranis, and as mentioned the prior DJT and D6FR/X8R-II had never done it at all (beeps from the DJT in that case).
Planes with D6FR and D8R-II also had a number of them doing that same Low RSSI warning thing. (again, using the Taranis now)
That lead me to check logs....
The X8R PCB were often worse than the other Cat Whisker RXes (D6FR/D8R-II) - even though ALL of them were only random low spikes down that obviously then trigger the Low RSSI and really had no RC control issue really.
All antennas, whether PCB or Cat Whisker, places one vertical and one lateral, and in 'good' clear aircraft areas.... I rarely make any 'sub-standard' or hodge-podge wiring or placements in aircraft. Versus so many I have seen just stick stuff in anywhere and all clumped together etc! hehe

I changed a PCB one to Cats Whisker and that improved it, but not good enough to erase the issue. So from then on I changed them all to Cats Whiskers. (Aloft gives PCB and spare Cats Whiskers sets of X8R).
Then I saw, thus got, some of the base loaded..... and with those on there are no more Low RSSI warnings ever.

Oh I forgot... I did upgrade the X8R Firmware, and the XJT (Taranis module) when that came out (I cant even remember which had what, but I did whatever there was or has been) and that made zero difference to this Low RSSI issue. Whatever they changed was pretty useless in that respect!

The logs show a clear improvement with the base loaded - it basically 'lifts' the lower end more clear of being anywhere near triggering it. With the Cats Whiskers it is a much lower improvement and thus hard to quantify it as a clear gain from them - but overall use shows they are helping.

So NOW.... I only have Cats Whiskers, and base loaded on larger planes (to be sure), or if the Cats Whiskers still did not cure it. And thus all my planes have erased the 'irrelevant, false' Low RSSI warning cases.
Plus it can't hurt to have the best reception you can get anyway!

If anyone wants some PCB antennas I have a bag full of a lot of them! LOL

I guess I could do some 'proper' testing, under some test conditions, to try to discern and verify exactly what each type does do.... BUT all that really matters is PLANES FLYING, so with that cured via no PCB antenna use, that is a good enough 'proof' to just not use them.
Maybe there is some reason that a plane 'moving around through 3 axis' shows up some reason that the PCB antenna are not as good in some states/positions? eg some combination that gives a greater low/null than ever occurs with Cats Whiskers or base loaded and thus why those low spikes occuring to trigger the Low RSSI warning? Even though the 90deg idea is suppose to give the optimal possible overall.

It has been GREAT to never get that low RSSI warning again!! Just like you would hope any RC system would work like! (unless truly valid due to longer ranges etc from the TX)
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2014, 09:34 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,928 Posts
I fly sailplanes high and far out on pcb antennas and never get a low RSSI warning.

I place antennas carefully, and do a range check while a helper rotates the aircraft through all attitudes.
maguro is online now Find More Posts by maguro