SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 20, 2013, 09:22 PM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
298 Posts
mmm, seems to be a lot of requests for grommets, we'll take another look at it.
IceManPro is offline Find More Posts by IceManPro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:21 PM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
298 Posts
The Stronghold looks an interesting idea, but with Aluminium melting point at 1,221 F and polycarbonate (used for the window) at only around 300 F it seems very risky to me - LiPoly battery burn temperatures can easily be in excess of 2,000 F
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:02 AM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
You might want to look into the stuff from alliance. I got a bit as a sample the will send you sample's to test. It stays inplace just from the pressure of bending it into place. It seems to be nylon unless you can find something the is more fireproof,
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Last edited by unclecrash; Jun 22, 2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:38 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
298 Posts
Thanks - will take a look, it's also good that it's fairly minimalistic, ie not much to burn in the event of a big problem
Old Jun 22, 2013, 05:06 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Yes it is nice you probably could add a C/A glue to it also to hold it but as you can see it stay's put, and in a round hole it will do better job. They will send you sample's of what ever you want to try which in my book is very nice of them to do. So you don't have to buy a bunch of stuff and be stuck with it.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 09:47 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManPro View Post
The Stronghold looks an interesting idea, but with Aluminium melting point at 1,221 F and polycarbonate (used for the window) at only around 300 F it seems very risky to me - LiPoly battery burn temperatures can easily be in excess of 2,000 F
My box is sheet steel no aluminum. Im hoping it is thick enough if not I will build a second lid if needed. Im in no hurry with it I have been working on it for month's a bit here a bit there. Im going to have the shields over the hole's and wire's sort of like you have to contain the flame's. I have to get some sheet steel for the cover's
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:06 PM
Manufacturer
Joined Sep 2012
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclecrash View Post
My box is sheet steel no aluminum. Im hoping it is thick enough if not I will build a second lid if needed. Im in no hurry with it I have been working on it for month's a bit here a bit there. Im going to have the shields over the hole's and wire's sort of like you have to contain the flame's. I have to get some sheet steel for the cover's
I think thickness is not such an issue, the covers need to clip on so as to be able to take the initial blow out from the LiPo cells (as I'm sure you know each cell could give off a high pressure pop as it goes off).
Old Jun 24, 2013, 01:10 AM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Yup I have a latch on the box lid, and the cover's will have a track or a small angle bracket to keep the pressure from popping the cover plate's off. The angle on the back will also hold the top which is hinged from falling back into the charger and will keep the lid at 90 degree's to the box so it will be easy to feed the wires through and attach the batteries then close the lid and add the blast plates
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:28 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,404 Posts
Some time ago I thought of possibly using an ammo box & rather than removing the lid seal, installing some kind of small one-way ball check or other type pressure relief valve, but never found one I deemed satisfactory. Still would like to give it a try; anyone know of something suitable? Or reason(s) this wouldn't work??
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:53 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Mine is about the size of an ammo box, wish it was not as deep and about twice as big. I need to see about getting a hold of the guy who was passing them out at our local field.