Joined Feb 2009
2,848 Posts
Yip! Hit the wrong button and didn't finish my post - but she is fantastic
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:58 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,720 Posts
When I first saw this plan I was convinced I was looking at something other than a vintage sports model. It's so much like the Peyret Nessler parasol that you have to look closely to see the differences. Here's a not very good photo of a Peyret Nessler I built years ago. The full size even had a sheeted fuselage like the model.
Since others have posted parasols, here are a few of my own, actually built with my own fair hands - as opposed to conning someone else into building them.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 12, 2013, 02:01 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,848 Posts
Stunning planes Pete - what's the second one?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 03:32 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,720 Posts
Thanks. Nothing vintage I'm afraid, just something I drew up 10-15 years ago. I call it Trooper and it's around 45" span and was powered by a geared 400 on 6x 600AE cells. The motor hides inside a radial cowl. Fairly vintage style construction though, so I suppose it isn't too out of place here. As with others, I too have a soft spot for parasol types. They look good and usually fly well.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Nov 09, 2013, 06:14 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,848 Posts
Got a quick flight in with Gazookus this morning. It was strange, it needed lots of forward stick under power, and was a little tricky to control. The glide is exceptional, but it kept turning one way or the other. Not unsaveble, but very unsettling. The arrival on the hard stuff lacked any grace, and removed the landing gear (again).

My first thought was a c.g. issue, but then I remembered a similar flight with a previously well trimmed plane, and have just checked the elevator. Sure enough, its trimmed up! Why I have no idea, but next time I will be a little more carefull with my pre flight! I think I spent most of the flight on the ragged edge of stalling.

So- beefing up the u/c a bit, and checking all the trims. It would be nice to bring it back in one piece eventually.

It worth persisting here, as in the scattered moments of predictable flight it is a lovely little thing, and it looks good in the sky.

Al
Old Nov 23, 2013, 04:20 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,848 Posts
At last

Finally got the Gazookus to do its thing. It has been a bit of a struggle, but she now flies predictably, and penetrates well. With the flaperons down it has a beautiful glide. The measure of success? A three point landing with the landing gear still attached
Old Nov 23, 2013, 04:29 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,775 Posts
Well done Owl - persistence rewarded!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2013, 02:43 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,848 Posts
Despite not doing much on the flipper, I have been lucky enough to be off 3 of the last 4 weekends. With my new glider in the car, there is only room for 1 other small aeroplane. So Gazookus has had lots of airtime.

The only real problem is with take off. One has to give it a healthy dose of throttle to keep her straight, but then lift off is good. Its one if those that you just let rise on her own, and let it slowly gain altitude. It has enough power to do a steep climb, but with this model that just looks odd.

Cross winds bother her a bit, but can be easily countered with a bit of rudder. The flaperons are a treat. In neutral position it is a point and fly plane, and reasonably quick. With them down her glide is very good indeed, and she is fairly slow. Full flaperon and she drops like an elevator.

Generally I fly her on rudder, and just use a bit of aileron to level the wings. I don't do aerobatics, but she loops nicely, and I have done a stall turn.

All in all its a really fun little aeroplane to fly, and practical in that there is enough power and good enough manners to fly in a stiff breeze, but when its old timer weather she floats beautifully.

What does surprise me, is just how tough it is. I replaced the sheeted bits with a 1 & 2mm built up structure, and aside from the landing gear breaking, it has taken everything I can throw at it. I have added back legs on the landing gear, and now that is holding up well. I'll probably get pilloried for saying this, but I think small balsa planes may be just as tough as foamies in normal use? I accept that a full power vertical dive will destroy a balsa plane, but I mean tougher in the sense of normal use. ie bad landings, getting chased by trees and rolling around in the back if the car. (still love my big foam stick though

Al
Old Jan 18, 2014, 03:52 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,848 Posts
fun

Unfortunately my glider sustained some damage on the way to flying, but I had the Gazookus along just in case. Although it was a bit breezy for such a light plane, I got in a few flights anyway.

I even got into some lift for a while! With the motor off she actually started going up! Having not yet learned any thermalling skills, I soon lost it and started coming down again, but it was incredibly exciting anyway

Al
Old May 31, 2014, 06:41 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,848 Posts
I decided that the Gazook was feeling neglected, and so took her flying today. What a fun plane! She can really get going and is fun with bit of a breeze blowing. The problem is with all my recent gliding, I keep cutting the throttle and chasing bubbles of lift